United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) helps developing countries
attract and use aid effectively. In all our activities, we encourage the
protection of human rights, capacity development and the empowerment of
UNDP recruiting to fill the vacant job position below:
Job Title: Communications Specialist
Job ID: 5759
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension
Under the guidance and direction of the RC/RR, and direct supervision of
the Country Director, the Communications Specialist in Nigeria
implements the corporate communications strategy, designs, manages and
facilitates the implementation of the Country Office communications and
publication strategies with a view to influence the development agenda,
to promote public and media outreach and to mobilize political and
financial support for UNDP.
The Communications Specialist supervises and leads the communications
staff of the country office and has a strong regular working
relationship with the Regional Communications Advisor. The
Communications Specialist also works in close collaboration with the
Business Development, Programme and Operations teams, staff of other UN
Agencies, RC Office, UNDP HQs staff (Bureau for External Relations and
Advocacy) and Government officials, international and local media,
subject matter experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil
society ensuring successful UNDP communication strategy implementation.
A communications strategy tightly linked to program priorities helps
position the Country Office in key development markets as a thought
leader in ways that boost demand for various service lines and increase
overall business opportunities.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Planning and design of internal and external strategies for communications and outreach
- Support to business development
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Effective management of the Communications Office and supervision of Communications staff
- Elaboration and implementation of the publications strategy and plan
- Supervision of the design and maintenance of the UNDP web site, intranet, CO web-based knowledge management system
Ensures planning and design of internal and external strategies for
communications and outreach focusing on achievement of the following
- Planning and elaboration of communications needs assessments for
CO (projects, country programme and corporate change initiatives, etc)
- Elaboration of the CO communications and outreach strategy based on the corporate communications strategy.
- Constructive and timely advice on inclusion of communications
components in programme formulations to integrate advocacy and
communication strategies into all aspects of UNDP’s development
Ensures elaboration and implementation of the CO publications strategy
and plan focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Elaboration and implementation of the CO publications strategy and plan based on the corporate publications policy.
- Identification and development of storylines for publications
and substantive articles contributing to debates on key development
- Coordination and management of all CO publication activities,
including content management, norms for publishing, design, liaison with
printers and other suppliers to oversee production and supervision of
Supervises the design and maintenance of the UNDP web site, intranet, CO
web-based knowledge management system focusing on achievement of the
- Design of the office web sites based on corporate requirements in cooperation with the ICT staff;
- Supervision and preparation of the content for the web sites ensuring consistency of the materials;
- Management and supervision of social media platforms ensuring consistency with corporate guidelines and policies.
Supports the business development focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Launches and campaigns:
- Creation and promotion of campaigns to local and regional
media that position UNDP and influences the development agenda based on
current programme and new initiatives.
- Management, promotion and dissemination of corporate
advocacy materials for launching flagship initiatives and publications
such as the Human Development Report.
- Creation, promotion and maintenance of public information
campaigns on UNDP activities, results of SDGs, UN Reform, etc. in
association with Programme and Operations Team Leaders.
- Creation and promotion of campaigns to local and regional
- Promotional activities to position UNDP as a leader within the development space.
- Increased coverage and understanding of the UNDP’s work in
the country or practice area through development and maintenance of
media contacts and providing newsworthy information to national public
- Forging of a “one UN” image through publicizing the
significance of local UN reform efforts, joint programmes, common
services. Organization and implementation of joint UN information
campaigns (UN Day, World AIDS Day, etc.)
- Ensured access for journalists to subject matter experts.
- Regular newsletter to donors, donor reports, civic education and community awareness where appropriate to support projects
- Formatting, packaging and submission of programme initiatives for donor review in close collaboration with programme staff.
- Development and maintenance of close contacts with
government officials, multilateral and bilateral donors, civil society
and private sector for implementation of the communications strategy,
organization of roundtable discussions, press conferences, briefing
sessions, interviews, launches, etc.
- Public information:
- Effective responses to inquiries for public information materials.
- Innovative and creative solutions to sensitive or corporately strategic public communications issues.
- Advocacy and promotion of UNDP mandate, mission and purpose.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme country goals and activities.
- Monitor practices, and project-specific news and developments in
order to ensure guidance to the office that reflects the best and most
current available information.
- Provides advice and support to UNDP inputs to CCA, UNDAF, CPD and other documents
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice including corporate communications repositories.
- Organization and provision of training, consultancy and advice to UNDP staff on communications.
Ensures effective management of the Communication Office and supervision
of the Communications team focusing on achieving the following
- Effective management of the Communications Office, including
preparation of the workplan, management of translations and contractual
- Management and supervision of communication support towards engagements undertaken by RC/RR.
Impact of Results:
- The key results have an impact on creation of effective
communications and dissemination of information on UNDP as UN’s global
- In particular, the key results have an impact on implementation
of UNDP communications and publication strategies, as well as reaching
resource mobilization targets. Communications becomes a strong component
of business development in the CO.
- Advocacy/Advancing a Policy-Oriented Agenda
- Analysis and creation of messages and strategies
- Creates effective advocacy strategies
- Contributes to the elaboration of advocacy strategies by identifying and prioritizing audiences and communication means
- Uses the opportunity to bring forward and disseminate materials for advocacy work
Building Strategic Partnerships
Identifying and building partnerships
- Sensitizes UN Partners, donors and other international
organizations to the UNDP’s strategic agenda, identifying areas for
- Promotes UNDP’s agenda in inter-agency meetings
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Developing tools and mechanisms
- Makes the case for innovative ideas documenting successes and building them into the design of new approaches
- Identifies new approaches and strategies that promote the use of tools and mechanisms
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
In-depth knowledge of the subject-matter:
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines
- Continues to seeks new and improved methods and systems for accomplishing the work of the unit
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional
discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Creating Visibility for UNDP/Supporting UNDP’s Capacity to Advocate
Developing promotional projects and organizational messages
- Develops promotional activities based on monitoring/evaluation information identifying areas requiring higher visibility
- Develops messages for use by UNDP staff when working with partners, internationally and nationally
- Reviews documents and materials intended for use within and
outside the organization in order to ensure consistency and validity of
Conceptual Innovation in the Provision of Technical Expertise
Developing innovative and creative approaches
- Leverages different experiences and expertise of team members to achieve better and more innovative outcomes
- Promoting ethics and integrity, creating organizational precedents
- Building support and political acumen
- Leveraging conflict in the interests of UNDP & setting standards
- Sharing knowledge across the organization and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning.
- Fair and transparent decision making; calculated risk-taking
- Building staff competence, creating an environment of creativity and innovation
- Building and promoting effective teams
- Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication
- Creating an emotionally intelligent organization
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in Media Relations, Journalism, Publishing, or any development related field.
- 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international
level in public relations, knowledge management, communications or
- Previous experience with a multilateral or international organization is helpful but not mandatory.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software
packages, good knowledge and experience in handling of web-based
management systems (e.g. Adobe CQ5).
- Fluency in the UN and national language of the duty station
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 21st September, 2016.