United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) – For over 65
years, the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) has
been protecting the rights and well-being of refugees all over the
The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) Nigeria wishes
to engage the services of a Senior Protection Assistant in its
Maiduguri Office on a fixed term basis.. Hence we are currently seeking
for suitably qualified candidate to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Protection Assistant
Vacancy No.: 2016/VA/011
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
- Under the general guidance and support from the Protection
Associate, the Senior Protection Assistant will monitor protection
standards, operational procedures and practices in protection delivery
in line with international standards and provide functional support to
information management and programme staff.
- To achieve this, the incumbent will need to build and maintain
effective interfaces with communities of concern, local authorities and
protection and assistance partners by performing the following duties:
- Consistently apply International and National Law and applicable UN/UNHCR and IASC policy, standards and codes of conduct.
- Provide counselling on protection issues to persons of
concern; liaise with competent authorities to ensure the issuance of
personal and other relevant documentation.
- Support activities in protection related AGD based programming with implementing and operational partners.
- Participate in individual protection case management
including cases of SGBV and child protection. Monitor and report on
cases of refoulement, expulsion and other protection incidents.
- Assist in identifying durable solutions for persons of concern.
- Contribute to the design, implementation and evaluation of
protection related AGD based programming with implementing and
- Assist in drafting reports, routine correspondence, updating
relevant databases and compiling statistics for the protection
- Contribute to initiatives to enhance national and local protection capacities.
- Conduct preliminary information gathering and interviews in
support of eligibility, status determination, durable solutions and
social needs assessment.
- Contribute to measures to identify, prevent and reduce statelessness.
- Contribute to a country-level child protection plan as part of the protection strategy.
- Contribute to a country-level education plan for persons of concern as part of the protection strategy.
- Monitor Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for all protection/solutions activities.
Essential Minimum Qualifications
- Completion of Secondary School. Additional Training courses in protection related issues.
- 4 years relevant job experience.
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language or local language.
Desirable Qualification and Competencies
- Good computer skills.
- Completed Protection Learning Programme.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their application/letter of motivation, resume and fully completed UN Personal History Form (P11) and send via email ONLY to: email@example.com quoting in the subject line the above vacancy notice number and title of the position.
- There is no need to send other certificates along with the application and P.11 at this stage.
- Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
- Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
- Applications from female candidates are strongly encouraged
Application Deadline 3rd October, 2016.