African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African
Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution,
promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent.
There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member
Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial
and technical support for transformative projects that will
significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic
growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year
Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five
major areas, all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have
been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business,
industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the
people of Africa.
African Development Bank is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: HR Administrative Officer
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50050491
The Hiring Complex:
- The Vice-Presidency, Human Resources and Corporate Services
ensures the delivery of efficient, people-centered, client-oriented,
corporate services to ensure overall institutional effectiveness in all
aspects of the Bank’s corporate services.
- The complex ensures that all Human Resources and Corporate
Services are re-aligned to drive greater corporate performance and
execution of the Bank’s strategic vision and priorities.
- The complex is responsible for providing leadership in the
formulation and implementation of Bank’s strategies on people, IT,
general services and institutional procurements, language services,
business continuity and, health and safety strategies.
- The complex leads efforts to digitalize and transform the Bank
into a knowledge-driven workforce, promote human resources policies that
enhance talent, drive a performance-driven culture, and ensure the
competitiveness of the Bank as the employer of choice.
The Hiring Department/Division:
- The HR Administration section is part of the Shared Services
Division (CHRM.2) in the Human Resources Management Department (CHRM).
Within the framework of the Service Level Agreement (SLA) and policies
in use in the Bank, this section prepares all HR administrative
processes related to staff including holders of special contract
employment contracts, staff internal mobility and separation.
- The post holder ensures full compliance with the Bank’s control
and reporting procedures addressing current and anticipated issues,
resolving them to improve services to clients; analyze processes,
procedures and tools, and identify efficiency improvement opportunities,
and propose and participate in the design and the introduction of
improvement programmes in order to enhance standards.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the supervision of the Manager CHRM.2 who defines the
scope of responsibilities, objectives, priorities and deadlines in line
with business requirements, the HR Administrative Officer’s main duties
and responsibilities include:
- Prepare HR Administration documents relating to regular and
short term staff, Technical Assistants, Secondees, Project Staff and
others. These documents include new staff appointment contracts, and
contract renewals, staff promotions and any other work related to
- In liaison with management, appoint HR Administration service
providers, such as catering service providers, reference checking agency
etc. in accordance with the Bank’s procurement rules;
- Coordinate the administration of assumption of duty of Bank
staff, Technical Assistants, Secondees, and Project Staff and also the
administration of assumption of Staff transfers/Staff movements
including Promotions, employment terminations;
- Undertake administration of staff dependents for new hires and update / changes by staff.
- Analyze any trends related to the administration of contracts
and movement of staff including Technical Assistants, Secondees and
Project staff, and present the related reports to management;
- Designing templates and letters for staff separation, staff
assumption of duty, transfers, promotions, contract renewals,
confirmations, leave without pay and staff testimonials;
- Coordinate the process of reference checks for employees to
verify a range of candidate information, including employment history,
academic qualifications and security checks;
- Ensure in liaison with the records section that electronic and hard copy personnel files are up-to-date;
- Identify areas requiring automation and improvement of HR
Administration processes, procedures and forms in view of optimizing the
efficiency and reliability of the unit and recommend improvements in
processes and documents in other areas impacting the efficiency and
reliability of the HR administration;
- Undertake the preparation of testimonial letters relating to
queries from external parties, Bank account opening and other
testimonial letters as the need arises;
- Work with Client Services teams, HR Benefits; HR Payroll; HR
Master Data & HR Employee Help Desk in problem resolution and
treatment of queries from employees.
- Collaborate with legal officers and units which provide support,
advice and assistance in HR decisions related to Contract
administration, Separations and ethical issues including the Staff
Council, Ombudsman, Ethics Office and Staff Appeal Committee.
- Provide advice and guidance to staff, peers, HR Business
partners and managers on matters related to the application of the Staff
rules and regulations, Bank policies and procedures, HR administrative
issues and Staff Contract administration (Renewal of contracts,
- Monitor staff probation periods and process staff confirmation;
- Undertake the maintenance of the contract renewals/probationary periods in Bank HRIS systems;
- Ensure that all related payments for staff interviews and
on-boarding are processed. This includes payment of freelance
interpretation services, catering and hotel costs for candidates and
panel members, air tickets for new hires, costs related to video
conferencing during interviews etc;
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- A minimum of a Master’s degree or its equivalent in Human
Resources Management, Business Administration, Information Technology,
Auditing/Accounting, Law or other related disciplines;
- A minimum of five (5) years of relevant practical working experience in a high volume administration department;
- Ability to work independently and coordinate with peers and other HR experts in a multidisciplinary multicultural team;
- Demonstrates tact and diplomacy in dealing with clients and other team members;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and/or French, with a working knowledge of the other language;
- Competence in the use of Microsoft Suit applications such as Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint;
- Preferably experience of SAP or other integrated Enterprise
Resource Planning (ERP) system in HR/ administration or others such as
Financial (FI) modules.
- A relevant and practical experience in Human Resources Management, Staff and Legal counselling will be an asset;
- A highly customer focused individual is sought;
- Proactive, solution oriented individual, keen to resolve challenges through innovation;
- Ability to implement continual improvement activities to processes, with a keen eye for detail;
- Ability to multitask, meet strict deadlines and work under a pressured environment;
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- Applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted.
- Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive
Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of Master’s degree or its equivalent
will be considered.
- The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate
at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities
employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Application Deadline 31st October, 2016.