The Coca-Cola Company (NYSE: KO) is the world’s largest beverage
company, refreshing consumers with more than 500 sparkling and still
At The Coca-Cola Company you can cultivate your career in a challenging
and dynamic environment. We are the largest manufacturer and
distributor of nonalcoholic drinks in the world-selling more than 1
billion drinks a day. Unlock your full potential with a future-focused
company that is known and respected throughout the world.
The Coca-Cola Company is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Business Unit Communications Manager
Job ID: 36836
Job Type: Full Time
Travel Required: 25%
- The strategic priorities of the Coca-Cola West Africa Business
Unit (WABU) include building a high performance culture to drive
productivity and sustainable and profitable business growth; and
building strong community connections to grow corporate reputation,
trust and social license across its 31 markets.
- The Coca-Cola West Africa Business Unit Communications Manager
role will support these priorities through developing and implementing
strategy for internal communications to inform, engage and inspire our
employees as well as strategies for external and consumer communications
and engagements to sustainably grow the reputations of our Company and
- The role will provide critical support in managing the
ever-increasing public policy and regulatory risks in WABU’s diverse
markets. Working within the framework of the Company’s Communications
Policy, the BU Communications Manager will engage with a wide spectrum
of stakeholders including the Company’s Leadership and associates,
bottling partners, regional and international media, key influencers,
government and regulatory bodies and consumers and the general public in
communicating the Coca-Cola growth and impact story as well as growing
consumer affinity for our brands.
- The incumbent therefore must be familiar with the regional
stakeholder and media landscapes; possess and apply expertise of
regional communication practices to provide strategic communications
counsel to the BU and its bottling partners; possess mastery of multiple
communications disciplines and media to effectively engage with the
diverse stakeholder spectrum; and manage projects to deliver on time and
- Internal Communication: Lead the development and implementation
of internal communications strategies across the Business Unit to
inform, engage and inspire associates.
- Executive Leadership Communications: Develop and implement
strategies for optimizing Thought Leadership opportunities on relevant
issues through strategic sponsorships at regional level and in key
- Issues Management and Crisis Communications: Provide crisis
communications expertise to effectively support the BU Incident
Management and Crisis Resolution (IMCR) process.
- Budget Management: Manage the Function’s DME and OPEX budgets,
providing monthly analysis and flagging risks to the BU PAC Director to
guide spend decisions.
- Sustainability Communications: Lead the development and
execution of strategies to optimize impact communication of our
signature programs, in liaison with the BU Sustainability Manager, The
Coca-Cola Africa Foundation as well as our bottling and programme
- Brands PR: Lead the PR agency to develop and implement high
impact PR strategies in collaboration with the BU Marketing team and the
Franchise PAC Managers
- The BU Communications Manager will lead and drive internal and
external communications excellence across a vast and diverse region of
31 emerging and socio-economically challenged markets.
- The individual will be responsible for ensuring consistent and
seamless dissemination of internal communications in the BU’s three key
working languages – English, French and Portuguese.
- The job holder will also be required to liaise regularly with
counterparts in various bottling operations, the Group Office and
- Issues management in Media, Government and Community relations –
should possess the requisite personal and professional skills and be
able to leverage Company resources to effectively manage emerging
- The job holder will support the IMCR process through developing
and managing crisis communications, including media messaging and
Judgment and Decision Making:
- Required to advise the PAC Director and BU Leadership team on
strategic communications which impact the Company’s image and reputation
and the effective management of high profile, risk situations.
- Job holder must exhibit a high degree of sound judgement and may
be required to be a final authority in the absence of the PAC Director.
- This role will have responsibility for working with new media
properties and tools to substantially shift our internal and external
communications engagements from traditional to evolving digital/social
platforms, including launching and effectively maintaining the Coca-Cola
Journey initiative for WABU’s key countries.
- Responsible for the design of processes and activities,
objective setting and follow up performance evaluations, coaching &
feedback and developmental plans.
- Also responsible for managing agency relationships in key countries in the BU.
- Direct Reports: One Intern (as may be available)
Qualifications / Competencies / Skills:
- Leader of Self & Leader of Others
Related Experience Requirements/ Qualifications
- Working knowledge of the French Language
- Professional Communications
- Issues & Crisis Management
- Media Relations
- Social/Digital Media
- Creative and Specialized Writing Skills
- Multimedia/graphic design tools
- Project & Budget Management
Generic Competencies: Refer to Competency Directory and Provide between 3 – 7 of the highest priority competencies
- Delivers Results: Focuses on the critical few objectives that
add the most value and channels own and others’ energy to consistently
deliver results that meet or exceed expectations.
- Drives Innovative Business Improvements: Develops new insights
into solutions that result in organizational improvements; promotes a
work environment that fosters creative thinking, innovation and rational
- Imports and Exports Good Ideas: Relentlessly seeks, shares and
adopts ideas and best practices in and outside the Company and embraces
change introduced by others.
- Develops and Inspires Others: Builds and maintains relationships
that motivate, guide, and/or reinforce the performance of others toward
goal accomplishments. Develops self and others to improve performance
in current role and to prepare for future roles; seeks and provides
feedback and coaching to enhance performance.
- Balances Immediate and Long-Term Priorities: Seeks to meet
critical objectives while considering the impact of those decisions and
activities on the ability to achieve long-term goals.
- At least 7 years’ experience in Communications or Public Relations functions.
- University/Bachelor’s degree
- University/Advanced degree
- University Degree preferably in Communication, Journalism or
English Language and related fields with a strong natural flair for
writing and public speaking.
- Working knowledge of the French language
- Ability to engage across multiple cultures; Appreciation of cultural diversity
- Ability to appreciate and engage with a diverse community of media
- Ability to instil trust across diverse groups of critical influencers
- Volatile economic and political environments
- 30% to 40% across region and international travels.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 28th October, 2016.