Christian Aid (CA) is a UK-based international NGO, partnering with
others to end poverty in Africa. At the heart of this vision is the
transformation of the lives of people who live in poverty, empowering
them to have a brighter future. Christian Aid works in more than 30
countries and has
been operating in Nigeria since 2003. The Nigeria
Country programme focuses on Community Health and HIV, Accountable
Governance including humanitarian response and Gender.
Christian Aid (CA) is recruiting to fill the job position below:
Job Title: Country Office Manager
Job Ref: 0940
Type of Contract: Fixed Term
Contracted Hours: 35hours
Length of Contract: 3
- To be responsible for developing, maintaining and implementing
essential HR, IT, Information Management and administrative and
operational systems within a country to enable the team to function
smoothly and effectively.
- Proactively taking responsibility for making things work, for
example managing the relationship and performance of external suppliers.
- To provide travel support as required to staff and visitor.
- Responsible for provision of Tier 1 HR, IT and administrative support. Usually a member of the country leadership team.
- The role is positioned in the Business Administration, HR &
IT role family. Based within a country the main focus of the role is to
ensure effective implementation of core HR, Admin and operations
function within the Country office and Christian Aid as a whole. There
may be some travel within the country and region / division required.
- Compliance with Christian Aid policies, procedures and standards
especially in the areas of HR, IT, Information Management,
Administration and general operational systems.
- Effective and efficient business operational systems in place
throughout the office and for managing relationships with partners and
- High quality advice and support provided to staff and
(sometimes) partners in the financial management of programmes. (May not
be applicable in all roles).
- Tier 1 HR & IT support, including legal, office environment
and health and safety, managing contracts, local procurement and first
line technical support
- Support external suppliers working to agreed service level agreements through effective relationship management.
- External: The role will also be required to manage relationships with external suppliers
- Internal: The role is line managed by the Country Manager. The
role holder will have contact with the Regional HR Advisor, Regional IT
Officer. The role works closely with internal systems staff (IT, HR and
Divisional Support team)
- To make day to day decisions to ensure the core business systems within a country are functioning effectively and efficiently.
- To make decisions in order to proactively change systems to
improve performance and comply with Christian Aid strategies, policies
- To make decisions based on specialist knowledge of country IT, Health and Safety, HR or finance systems.
- Ability to apply logical thinking and common sense to gathering
and analyzing information, designing and testing solutions to problems.
- Developing self and others:
- Continuously look for opportunities for self-development. Give and receive honest and open feedback in a timely manner.
Applied skills/knowledge and expertise:
- Degree in Business Studies/Business Administration, Social sciences or any other related area.
- 3-5 year experience setting up and managing Human resources,
Administration, IT and operations in an NGO with supervisory
- Knowledge and experience in Nigerian employment law,
organizational planning, organization development, employee relations,
and creating and maintaining training programs of such.
- Excellent Negotiation and representation skills
- Experience in an HR specialist function, organisational design,
performance management, reward management, recruitment and selection or
training and development
- Proven and demonstrable understanding/experience in Human Resources, Office Administration/operations
- Good working knowledge and experience using HR soft ware, Microsoft office application
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Self motivated and with an ability to manage a wider range of complicated issues.
- Experience of security procedures
- Self motivated and with an attention to detail
- Experience in local and international security protocols
IT competency required:
LEVEL 2: You are expected to be able to:
- Take on different work when necessary to achieve a team or organisational goal.
- Actively consult with others to ensure you understand their needs or goals.
- Listen to and take on board fresh perspectives and views even if you initially disagree with them.
- Maintain on-going relationships with individuals and contacts through networks, based on mutual rapport and respect.
- Make complex things simple for the benefit of others.
- Be sensitive to what others may be feeling, based on what they
say, how they say it and their non-verbal behavior, adapting your style
and approach to fit.
- Address difficult issues when they arise, being honest and open.
- Actively listen and question to check your understanding and
draw out others when they are not expressing themselves clearly or seem
to be holding back.
- Implement ways to reduce the inefficient use of resources or pass the ideas on to someone who can make them happen.
- Estimate the resources needed to achieve your own work plans or
objectives and to deliver them in the most efficient and cost effective
- Set and communicate realistic timelines for achieving tasks,
working out how best to adapt as priorities change or unforeseen
- Prioritise, plan and monitor own work to meet own and team deliverables to agreed performance or quality standards.
- Use logical processes and relevant tools and techniques to report on information or analyse options.
- Make timely and considered recommendations or decisions based on analysis of available data, information and evidence.
- Acknowledge others’ priorities whilst being prepared to say “no” if there are genuine reasons why their needs cannot be met.
- Evaluate your own work and actively address gaps in knowledge and skills, without prompting.
- Recognise how you react to feedback and manage reactions positively, acting on specific feedback from others.
- Share your knowledge where it will help others to be more effective.
- Provide instruction, constructive feedback and guidance to others to help them learn.
Strive for improvement:
- Constructively challenge existing practice.
- Seek better ways of doing things, taking into account the possible implications.
- Make positive suggestions on a way forward when faced with challenges even if these fall outside own scope of work.
- Look inside and outside Christian Aid for new ideas and evaluate them for own work.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- Further details of specific tasks and duties will be agreed with
the line manager as part of the performance agreement. Any
reasonable duty may be assigned that is consistent with the nature of
the job and its level of responsibility.
- This role profile is not prescriptive; it merely outlines the
key behaviours the role-holder requires to be successful in the role;
the key behaviours and responsibilities are subject to change. Any
changes will be made in consultation with the role-holder.
- You will be expected to abide by the Code of Conduct, policies
and procedures within Christian Aid which may be updated from time to
- You must be in sympathy with the aims, beliefs and values of
Christian Aid as it seeks to work on relief, development and advocacy
for poverty eradication
Application Deadline 11th November, 2016.