Mercy Corps is an international relief and development organization
working in over 40 countries worldwide helping people build secure,
productive and just communities. Mercy Corps Nigeria implements a
variety of programs with the ultimate goal of building productive,
secure and just
communities. The organization’s programs are implemented
in twelve states, mainly in north and north east parts of Nigeria and
Lagos. Our work covers the following sectors: economic development,
livelihoods/food security, adolescent girls & boys empowerment,
financial resilience, conflict mitigation and humanitarian response.
Common themes include community engagement, inclusive development,
gender, and working in partnership with local government, the private
sector and civil society actors.
Mercy Corps is recruiting to fill the position below:
The Field Finance Manager
is a member of the senior management team for the field operations of
the humanitarian portfolio, and as such is responsible for all aspects
of financial management of the humanitarian programs, working
collaboratively to ensure compliance with Mercy Corps internal policies
and procedures as well as donor regulations. S/he works under the
direction of the Head of Office and is responsible for all financial
functions in North East Nigeria, including accounting, payments and
banking, budgeting, financial reporting and grant financial management
and compliance, in addition to technical capacity building of field
finance staff. The Field Finance Manager, in support of
the Program Department, provides timely reports and assistance to the
Director of Humanitarian Programs and the Program team to ensure that
financial resources are used efficiently and effectively.
Corps has been present in Nigeria since December 2012, focusing its
interventions on adolescent girls’ empowerment, economic development and
conflict mitigation. With the insurgency spilling over from the
north-east of Nigeria and causing displacement of millions of
individuals, Mercy Corps has decided to address the rising humanitarian
needs among displaced households and vulnerable host communities by
starting its humanitarian program in July 2014.
Nigeria’s humanitarian program aims to provide assistance to populations
affected by the crisis in north-east Nigeria.
With funding from
humanitarian donors including OFDA, FFP, ECHO and the EUTF the
humanitarian program has been focusing on food assistance, non-food
items distribution, protection, livelihoods support, WASH and capacity
building of humanitarian response actors.
Mercy Corps plans to
scale up and expand its humanitarian response in north-east Nigeria to
reach more beneficiaries with additional and varied assistance in a
wider geographic area.
All Mercy Corps interventions in Nigeria are implemented in a conflict and gender sensitive manner.
Essential Job Functions
a sustainable work environment of mutual respect that attracts
motivated, skilled and effective team members and enables them
individually and collectively to strive to achieve excellence.
and lead a diverse team of direct and indirect reports in field offices
and conduct timely performance reviews and establish development plans.
to field office team-building efforts; build constructive internal
relationships; help team members identify problem solving options and
ensure integration of all team members into relevant decision-making
- Support the finance team to develop their technical finance skills through routine coaching and guidance.
Operations – Financial
- Ensure effective, transparent use of financial resources in compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures.
banking relations and plan and monitor field cash flow requirements to
ensure the smooth implementation of Mercy Corps programs.
monthly standard accounting submissions to Mercy Corps Abuja, including
account reconciliations, expenditures by fund/project, required
subgrantee reporting, as well as other financial information in a timely
and accurate manner.
- Provide monthly management reports to the
Director of Humanitarian Programs and Program Managers, including
expenditures by fund/project, subgrantee reporting and other financial
information, in a timely and accurate manner.
- Develop grant budgeting and forecasting systems with Program Managers.
in the roll out of finance systems and procedure documentation in the
field offices, ensure that all finance transactions are in compliance
with Mercy Corps policies and procedures.
the financial review of purchase requests, purchase orders, and payment
requests to ensure compliance with MC policies and procedures and
donors grants and contracts requirements.
- Perform compliance
reviews of field office processes including procurement, logistics,
stock management, and coordinate with the relevant departments to
correct and improve as needed
- Assist in the preparation of the monthly field cash flow projections to be submitted to Abuja
- Assist in the preparation, maintenance and consolidation of office operational budgets.
- Review and work with program managers on the monthly end grant spending reports (BVAs)
- Consolidate and prepare budget projections.
- Assist and support the Country Finance Manager in the process review of the month end closing including but not limited to :
- Review of field journals to ensure proper coding of all transactions;
- Posting of transactions daily to Field Connect
- The monthly reconciliation of balance sheet accounts as requested by Country FM;
- The monthly payroll preparation process;
- Assist and support the Country Finance Manager in the month end and year end closing reports.
and maintain the grant files, maintain and distribute current copies of
the approved coded budgets to all relevant parties.
subgrant financial files, process subgrantee payments and reconcile
subgrant financial tracking to general ledger reports.
Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards
accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international
standards guiding international relief and development work while
actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the
design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Organizational Learning: As
part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our
understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient
and relevant to the communities they serve – we expect all team members
to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy
Corps as well as themselves.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: finance department staff and Abuja-based SFO
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Head of Office, with dotted-line technical reporting to Country Finance Manager
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: Members of Operations, Program Managers and others.
Knowledge And Experience
- A BA/S or equivalent in accounting or finance required; advanced degree preferred.
- A professional qualification is required
- At least 4 + years of progressive financial management experience, including supervisory experience required.
- At least 4 years’ experience in grants management as well as an understanding of ECHO/FFP/OFDA/EU regulations required.
- At least 3 years’ international experience required; international NGO/PVO field office experience is preferred.
experience and skill with budget preparation and analysis, financial
reporting preparation and presentation and the proven ability to
translate technical financial data into informative reports.
accounting skills and experience, including management of the general
ledger, journal entries, payroll, payables and balance sheet.
- Prior management experience and strong organizational skills.
- Advanced computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel.
- Effective verbal and written communication, multi-tasking, organizational and prioritization skills.
- Excellent oral and written English skills required; knowledge of Hausa is highly desirable.
- Ability to work effectively with an ethnically diverse team in a sensitive environment.
- Previous experience in insecure environments.
successful candidate will have an ability to interact effectively
across international and national program and finance teams
successfully, both in a managerial as well as training capacity. S/he
will be able to support programmatic objectives with timely and
meaningful financial information, have a demonstrated ability to
multi-task, and meet deadlines and process information in support of
changing program activities. An impeccable professional standard of
finance and procurement ethics and the willingness and ability to
enforce compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures is
essential. The Finance Manager must be willing to travel regularly to
Mercy Corps field offices and project sites. The most successful Mercy
Corps staff members have a strong commitment to teamwork and
accountability, thrive in evolving and changing environments and make
effective written and verbal communication a priority in all situations.
position will be based in Biu town ( Biu LGA south of Borno state) and
requires substantial amount of travel between field locations in Gombe,
Adamawa and Borno states. Considering the frequent travel from/to
different field locations, this position will require flexibility in
terms of accommodation and logistics. Housing will be in hotels or
guesthouse where available. Security in the field locations require
additional vigilance and accessibility will be reassessed continuously.
Access to good medical services in North East Nigeria is limited. Phone
communication, internet, electricity and water in main urban centers are
available but might be erratic.
The location is eligible for
hardship and R&R (every 10 weeks) benefits. Working hours require
flexibility and working through weekends/evenings might be necessary.
Corps Team members represent the agency both during and outside of work
hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field
posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a
professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies,
procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
How to Apply