24 Oct 2016
International Rescue Committee Vacancy in Nigeria for an Assistant Finance Controller
youth development, and protection and promotion of rights, IRC assists people from harm to home.IRC entered Nigeria in October 2012 in response to a widespread flood disaster.
The International Rescue Committee is recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Assistant Finance Controller
Employee Type: Regular
Employee Category: Full Time
Summary Statement of Responsibilities
- The Assistant Finance Controller assists the Country Office Finance Controller by managing the day-to-day operations of the accounting unit.
- At the discretion of the Country Director the Assistant Controller will assume some or all of the Controller responsibilities when the FC is absent.
The incumbent is responsible for ensuring that the day-to-day accounting operations and financial management functions are performed in accordance with IRC and country office policy and procedures. Specific responsibilities within each functional area are as follows:
1.) SUN Processing:
- Control over and/or entry of changes to the Chart of Accounts, Analysis Codes and Exchange Rates
- Developing expertise to control the system, develop new reports and be able to train staff in processing of data.
- Ensuring budgets are loaded on a timely basis
- Ensuring a backup and retention procedure is in place and followed for all SUN master files
- Performing or supervising the posting of entries ensuring proper controls are enforced and appropriate systems in place to maintain all required supporting documentation.
- Production of required monthly and ad hoc reports.
- Preparation of draft donor reports for review by the Finance Controller
- Preparation of the creation of detail level budgets in IRC SUN format to ensure required donor reports can be produced form the accounting system
- Analysis of actual to budget results to identify problems in accounting or compliance
- Identification of procedural or training issues to be addressed to improve the quality of report data.
- Acting as the primary liaison for the field office finance staff for policy or procedure questions
- By frequent visits to the field offices providing training to finance staff on IRC accounting procedures and requirements, assists the Field Coordinators and program staff in finance related issues and activities.
- Review of financial data submitted by the field to identify weaknesses or problems being encountered by field finance staff and recommend corrective action.
- In conjunction with the Finance Controller developing or revising policy and procedures and assists in the implementation.
- Supervising or performing all balance sheet account reconciliation’s on a timely basis
- Ensuring differences or discrepancies are brought to the attention of the FC and that appropriate action is taken.
- Recommending standard formats for reconciliation’s and/or procedures to improve the underlying accounting, control or processing of transactions to minimize errors or omissions.
- The review of and accounting for procurement transactions to ensure adequate supporting documentation, accuracy of amounts and control over payments
- Providing input to Purchase Request approvals to ensure commitments are considered before further purchases approved
- Primary responsibility for liaison with logistics/procurement.
- Maintaining a system to track commitments and outstanding contract amounts.
- Supervision of the processing of bank and cash transactions.
- Ensuring internal control procedures are followed for all cash disbursements, receipts and transfers
- Preparation or oversight of the preparation of the cash accounting worksheet
- Liaison with bank officials to resolve problems or facilitate improved service.
- Preparation of cash forecasts and CTR for the country program
- Monitoring cash usage and requirements and advises the Finance Controller of possible unusual activity or requirements
- Working with field and program coordinators to help them develop more accurate cash forecasts
- Providing recommendations for cost allocation systems in accordance with donor regulations
- Assisting in or reviewing physical inventory counts and ensuring proper valuation and accounting for inventory or supply items.
- The processing of the national payroll ensuring standard financial controls are maintained
- Ensuring payroll reports and cash is distributed to the required locations in time for all staff to be paid by the last day of the month.
- Preparation of the necessary related accounting entries including salary allocations
- Serving as primary liaison with Administration and the field offices on payroll related issues
- Liaison with local government to ensure compliance with national tax and labor regulations.
- Internal audit activities as required by the Finance Controller
- Reviews of controls and monitoring of compliance with established procedures.
- Preparation of written reports for review by the Controller which identify key issues and provide recommendations for improving control processes or procedures
- Assisting in the preparation and maintenance of the country’s Operating Budget to ensure data is complete and maintained on a timely basis.
- Working with program staff to prepare grant budgets to support new proposals or realignments to ensure adequate coverage of country operating costs and NY direct and indirect costs.
- Review of actual vs. budget results to ensure maximum utilization of budgeted amounts and to provide recommendations for realignments as required.
- Preparation of monthly management reports analyzing the use of unrestricted funding versus approved allocation.
- Assisting in the development and preparation of cost allocation processes for overarching costs that comply with donor regulations on allowable costs.
- Bachelors degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Commerce or Finance with a recognized professional certificate in accounting (CPA or equivalent certification would be preferred).
- Minimum of three (3) years of accounting experience and one (1) year direct supervisory experience.
- Experienced with various PC and financial related software (spreadsheets, accounting packages).
- Must be able to function comfortably in a loosely structured but complex work environment, working and prioritizing multiple tasks.
- Comfortable making decisions.
- Good supervisory, time management and interpersonal skills
- Able to communicate effectively (written and verbal) in English with program staff, management and employees
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
You can also join our interactive and interesting JobZilla BBM Channel by clicking C00299C49.