The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst
humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives.
Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers
lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee
from war or
disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S.
cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted
and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The IRC is currently implementing programs in Health, Protection, WASH,
Nutrition, Food Security, and Women’s Protection and Empowerment (WPE)
in Adamawa and Borno States in North-Eastern Nigeria.
International Rescue Committee is recruiting to fill the job position below:
Job Title: Emergency Reproductive Health Sr. Manager
Sector: Reproductive Health
Employee Type: Regular
Employee Category: Full Time
Scope of Work
- The Emergency Reproductive Health (RH) Senior Manager is the
focal point for the IRC’s Emergency Reproductive Health care services in
- The Emergency RH Senior Manager ensures that the IRC’s emergency
RH interventions in Maiduguri and other LGAs are guided by the MISP
(Minimum Initial Service Package for RH in Crisis Situations).
- He/she reports to the Health Coordinator and works closely with
the Health and Nutrition Manager and supporting the WPE Senior Manager
in those program sites outside of Maiduguri where he/she will be working
jointly with the WPE program teams.
Under the supervision of the Health Coordinator, the Emergency RH Manager is responsible for:
1.) Program Management:
- Oversee the implementation of quality RH program activities at all IRC supported health facilities in the targeted areas
- Support the RH teams to develop awareness raising messages to
promote uptake of emergency RH response services in a timely manner
- Promote coordination with the WPE team and ensure RH is incorporated into mobile response
- Prepare the RH mobile team members to respond quickly to emerging crises and newly accessible areas.
- Promote a culture of learning whereby lessons-learned and good practices are documented and shared for institutional memory.
- Provide leadership, training, and guidance to staff and local
partners to ensure programming meets best practice standards and
prioritizes the security of beneficiaries and staff;
- Design and lead assessments to ensure the voices of women and girls inform RH program design
- Support proper RH data collection and recording in the IRC
supported RH units and women centers, support the compilation of data
and generation of quality RH reports on a regular and timely manner;
- Develop protocols on information management in insecure environments
2.) Business Development and Grant Management:
- Lead the development of proposals as needed;
- Review monthly BvAs and submit monthly BvA corrections;
- Prepare internal and external reports within agreed deadlines using IRC and donor formats, as required;
- Assure appropriate and timely spending of grants to achieve
program goals, grant reporting contributions, use and distribution of
supplies and resources.
- Prepare and keep updated budget spent out plans in order to maintain program expenditure within budget;
- Participate in Grants Opening, Mid-Term and Closing meetings;
3.) Staff Management:
- Recruit program staff to positions as per the program demand;
- Maintain updated job descriptions, conduct interviews, orient new staff to the IRC and the program;
- Undertake RH capacity-development activities/training for RH and clinical health staff.
4.) Coordination and Representation:
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with all
stakeholders – including community leaders, NGOs, UN agencies, community
based organisations and other IRC sectors to enhance cooperation and
- Ensure that information from coordination meetings is shared internally and with other sectors, as appropriate;
- Represent the IRC in coordination mechanisms and meetings with
other agencies, including the Ministry of Health, WHO, UNFPA and other
UN agencies, non-governmental organizations, or donors.
5.) Monitoring and Evaluation:
- Lead the development and oversee implementation of strong
monitoring and evaluation systems. Lead the preparation of reports to
the Supervisor and donors;
- Provide trend analysis on areas where there is programming in
order to improve services and advocacy for Target group/women and girls.
- Health professional (MD, RN, PA or CO) with strong public health background, MPH preferred;
- 3 years RH program management experience, preferably in insecure locations,
- Experience in technically supervising reproductive health staff in a complex setting;
- Thorough understanding of gender-based violence response protocols and service provision;
- Ability to validate and interpret health data;
- Demonstrated ability to support and build staff capacity;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Experience in grant management and proposal writing is preferred.
- Excellent computer skills: MS Word, Excel, Power point, use e-mail and internet.
- Fluency in English
- Additional qualities: ability to multitask, ability to handle pressure well, ability to improvise, flexibility.
- Be a team player
- Ability to work independently and as a collaborative team member;
- Ability to live and work under pressure in an unstable security environment.
- Knowledge and experience of participatory planning methods
- Security level red. The situation in NE Nigeria is calm at the moment but prone to volatility.
- Lodging in Nigeria is in a private bedroom with en-suite or shared bathroom, in a shared IRC guesthouse.
- All IRC sites have electricity and internet at least several hours per day.
- Food is the individual’s responsibility.
Standards for Professional Conduct:
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles
outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are
Integrity, Service, and Accountability.
- In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces
policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child
Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply