Oxfam is an international confederation of 17 organizations (affiliates)
networked together in 94 countries, as part of a global movement for
change. Together we are working to achieve our vision of
‘a just world
without poverty’ and to be a powerful partner in global and local
communities of people connected for change.
Oxfam is recruiting to fill the job position below:
Job Title: Policy Lead
Ref No: INT2889
Location: Abuja, Nigeria, with frequent travel in Nigeria, Chad and Niger
Contract Type: 6 month contract with possibility of extension
Hours: Full time
- To campaign with others for an effective humanitarian and
protection response to the Lake Chad Basin crisis and to help address
the drivers of conflict
- To drive Oxfam’s humanitarian policy and advocacy on the Lake
Chad Basin – a priority regional response within Oxfam’s ‘Rights in
- This will involve leading Oxfam’s analysis, research, policy
development and strategy on three countries- Nigeria, Niger and Chad.
- It will also include in-country and global lobby, external representation and alliance building.
- The post holder will work with Oxfam programme staff and
partners in country and colleagues in capitals across the world, leading
and contributing to Oxfam’s regional and global policy development.
- Focus areas include ensuring that the people in areas affected
by the humanitarian crisis can access life-saving humanitarian aid and
are protected from violence.
Lead Oxfam’s Lake Chad Basin policy development:
- Provide humanitarian policy leadership for Oxfam’s Lake Chad Basin response
- Develop analysis and policy with close attention to the local,
national, regional and international context bringing coherence and an
overall framework to Oxfam’s policy direction in Niger, Chad and Nigeria
- Contribute and drive forward Oxfam’s advocacy strategy in response to contextual shifts
Lead Oxfam’s advocacy strategy in country and in key capitals:
- Build alliances and networks with national, regional and international actors
- Represent Oxfam to externally to donors, diplomats, UN and government officials as required
- Lobby in target capitals as required
- Work with campaigns, media and communication colleagues to ensure that messaging is coherent and creative
Manage and/or develop key policy products:
- Develop key policy documents including regularly updated talking
points, internal and external briefings, lobby notes and briefing
papers as required
- Work with allies in country to develop quality joint policy products as required and in line with Oxfam’s strategy
- Commission and manage research reports or work with others to ensure high quality products
Contribute to Oxfam’s regional and global policy development:
- Provide policy input to policy and campaigns development, particularly on Oxfam’s work on global migration
- Contribute through case studies, examples and analysis to Oxfam’s global policy debates.
We are Looking For
Skills and Competence:
- At least 5 years’ work experience, including policy
development, networking and alliance building with other agencies
- Flexibility, stamina and ability to work under pressure to meet
tight deadlines, to work unsociable hours as necessary and to travel for
up to 40% of time. (E)
- Ability to work independently in a fast paced environment. (E)
- Proven collaborative, and self-management and people management skills, including flexibility and respect for others. (E)
- Ability to model Oxfam’s values (empowerment, accountability and
inclusiveness) with staff, partners, allies and other stakeholders. (E)
- Awareness and understanding of the role of traditional and social media. (D)
- Experience of being a media spokesperson and briefing journalists. (D)
- Proven ability in developing and implementing advocacy strategies (E)
- Excellent representational and lobbying skills, and experience of advocacy with senior decision-makers. (E)
- Experience of driving policy development in crisis situations,
with a strong preference that this in the conflict/humanitarian field
- Education in social sciences to degree level, or equivalent (E).
- Post-graduate and other training qualifications desirable (Desirable)
- Strong conceptual and analytical skills, and ability to
think/operate innovatively independently and work as part of a remote
- Experience in management or matrix management (D) and capacity building. (E)
- Excellent oral communications skills in English and French.
Ability to write substantial in depth analysis in one language, and a
minimum of written competency in the other. (E)
- Demonstrable understanding and experience of gender and
diversity issues and proven commitment to and evidence of promoting
gender equity. (E)
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- This is an urgent recruitment for a high priority humanitarian
response. For this reason, applications will be reviewed as they are
received, and priority will be given to those who are available to
travel to Nigeria immediately.
- Please indicate your availability in your application. Interviews and offers may take place before the closing date
Application Deadline 14th October 2016.