Pathfinder International is a sexual and reproductive health and rights
(SRHR) organization dedicated to creating access to and improving the
quality of family planning, reproductive health, abortion, and
community- and facility-based HIV and AIDS care and services.
partnership with host country governments and nongovernmental
organizations, we train facility-based health care providers to improve
both the quality and range of their technical and counseling skills.
Facility-based services are further improved through provision of
equipment and facility renovations.
Through all that we do, Pathfinder strives to empower women, men,
adolescents, and communities to make choices and create environments
conducive to healthy reproductive behaviors.
Pathfinder International is recruiting to fill the job position below:
Job Title: Regional Digital Health Advisor I
Job ID: 2016-33
Job Type: Full-time
Summarize the purpose and activities of the department and/or project:
- The rising adoption of mobile phone use, texting, and social
media participation among young people and women offers an unprecedented
ability to reach these populations with SRHR information and services
they might not have access to otherwise, and engage individuals in new,
- The Regional Digital Health Advisor (RDHA), alongside a HQ-based
Advisor and Coordinator, will be a member of Pathfinder’s digital
health team within the wider Technical Services Unit (TSU). This unit
provides guidance and expertise in a variety of technical areas to
strengthen Pathfinder field offices and government and NGO partners, who
implement Pathfinder projects.
- Technical Advisors within TSU provide technical direction in
their key areas, including technical assistance to field offices and
development of relevant curricula and technical tools.
- Pathfinder is leveraging the increasing ubiquity of mobile
technology as a strategic tool to reach and provide support to
vulnerable populations, improve dialogue amongst communities and health
systems, and strengthen the quality of services provided.
- Across its digital health portfolio, Pathfinder uses a variety
of digital tools including: mobile case management applications, data
collection tools, geographic information system (GIS) mapping, mobile
financial services, and short message services (SMS) platforms.
Provide a brief summary describing the primary function and general purpose of this position:
- The Regional Digital Health Advisor (RDHA) will be based within
one of Pathfinder’s field offices, allowing for more flexible and timely
support to be provided to projects in the region. Although the majority
of support will be provided remotely, there will also be a need for the
RDHA to travel to provide technical assistance to ongoing projects
in-person, participate in business development opportunities, and attend
conferences/meetings. Occasional travel to Pathfinder’s HQ in the
Boston metro area may be required as well.
- The RDHA will work to increase the capacity of project personnel to successfully implement digital health solutions.
- The RDHA will document and disseminate lessons learned across all Pathfinder projects.
- S/he will also provide input on application specifications and
other technology based solutions (data collection, case management, SMS,
IVR, et cetera) including integration with DHIS2 and other report
visualization software solutions.
Describe the major duties and responsibilities of this position in order of importance:
- Work with the Digital Health Team, field office counterparts,
and technology partners to support tool and dashboard design – including
platform selection – and the development of implementation roadmaps.
- Identify, propose and assess the feasibility of new applied
technology approaches to improve the health of individuals and
- Participate in, or lead, the development of funding proposals for business development.
- Participate in designing and implementing research proposals for
digital health projects with relevant research and metrics unit (RMU)
staff to contribute to the evidence base.
- Conduct quantitative analysis of digital health data as required for project learning and reporting.
- Support cross-fertilization and technical capacity building
efforts related to digital health within the organization through
Virtual Content Area Teams (VCAT) and other cross-country linkages.
- Participate in relevant project quarterly and annual review
meetings. And, review project reports and technical documents related to
- Work with headquarter and field colleagues to advance the field
of digital health into areas of interactivity and dialogue that engage
users in reflection and change.
- Maintain sound, cooperative relationships with technology firms and other implementing partners.
- Provide guidance on how Pathfinder can support approaches that
consider interoperability and data standards at national and global
- Work with other Pathfinder staff, both field and headquarters,
to develop and write quality technical documents related to digital
health as part of the organization’s working documentation.
- Collaborate with field and external relations teams to promote
Pathfinder’s digital health work. This may include the writing of
conference abstracts, participation in key meetings, and the development
of external publications.
Describe the experience, knowledge, skills, expertise, education,
licenses and/or certifications, and specific computer/technical skills
required to successfully perform in the position. Candidates must meet
basic requirements to be considered for this job:
- Commitment to the mission, vision, and values of Pathfinder International
- Master’s degree in Public Health or other relevant field. Bachelor’s degree with equivalent work experience considered as well
- Must be a self-starter and possess good judgment, flexibility, and patience.
- Excellent spoken, reading and writing skills in English.
- Sets high standards for quality of work and consistently achieves project goals.
- Skills in SAS, STATA, R, or another statistical analysis software
- Demonstrates, applies, and shares expert technical knowledge across the organization
- Ability to think strategically, handle ambiguity and work in a fast-paced, multicultural environment
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail, with
ability to take initiative, work independently, and prioritize workflow
and deadlines from multiple team members simultaneously
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience working within the global digital health space
- Experience working with digital health platforms including, but
not limited to: CommCare, Kobo Toolbox, MangoLogic, FrontlineSMS,
- Experience creating functional specifications or requirements, prototyping and pilot testing software solutions
- Excellent communication, supervisory and interpersonal skills,
demonstrated leadership, and the ability to work collaboratively across
Describe any preferred qualifications including additional experience, education or other job related skills:
- Experience working with DHIS2 preferred
- Knowledge of databases and SQL, python, XML technologies, and Linux systems
- Knowledge of international sexual and reproductive health and rights, programs and projects
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 20% of the time
- Proficiency in French and/or Portuguese
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply