international organisation with its headquarters in Vienna, Austria, is
looking for qualified candidates to fill the position of Project
Manager/Team Leader for the project Support to Free Movement of Persons
and Migration in West Africa (FMM West Africa).
Job Title: Project Manager/Team Leader
The Project Manager is
based in Abuja and leads a team of five colleagues in the implementation
of ICMPD’s components in the IOM-ICMPD-ILO joint ‘FMM West Africa’
project. FMM West Africa is a five year project that started in the
summer of 2013 and is scheduled to end in spring 2018, with a likely
ICMPD manages the demand-driven technical assistance facility (DDF)
for national institutions in the fields of labour migration,
anti-trafficking, border management, and related policy development and
implementation. Currently, there are 8 DDF technical assistance actions
running in the region, 2 of which are multi-country actions with 8
respectively 6 participating states each. Another 2 multi-country
actions are planned. ICMPD is also in charge of targeted activities to
support the ECOWAS Commission to enhance regional policy development in
the fields of anti-trafficking and border management, and support to
dialogue and donor coordination activities. ICMPD manages around 7.6
million of the project budget, out of which the DDF has the largest
share. For more details on the project please visit http://www.fmmwestafrica.com.
The Project Manager works under the overall leadership of the
Programme Manager of the Project Support Unit in Abuja (IOM), and under
the direct supervision of the backstopping Programme Manager in ICMPD
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Team leadership and management
- Lead and guide the Team.
- Supervise and coordinate the work of the Team; track and assess
team member’s individual inputs and tasks, and ensure that staff have
clearly defined responsibilities
- Monitor and analyse individual staff as well as overall Team
performance, provide regular feedback and address weaknesses,
under-performance, tension or other problems in the team; review and
revise roles and responsibilities as needed for efficient project
- Administer and oversee the functioning of the Team’s office
space, equipment and all related support services; ensure effective
coordination with IOM as well as with administrative and operations
support units based in HQ and the Brussels Mission.
- Support the Team to cope positively with periods of uncertainty
and change, and encourage creative solutions to address challenges in
- Ensure the evaluation of experts and suppliers.
- Recruit new staff members as required.
- Project management
- Manage delivery of day-to-day project activities independently,
including effective delegation of tasks within the Team as required.
- Monitor implementation of the work plan and accomplishment of
project outputs. Regularly review work plan to track implementation and
to ensure that the project is on schedule, reflect any adjustment or
changes, or take corrective action as required.
- Coordinate implementation of activities with project partners
ensuring that activities are carried out according to work plan.
Actively advise and guide project partners on issues related to project
- Coordinate implementation of activities in-house with other
project managers working in the region. Actively inform and advise
colleagues on all aspects that may have a bearing on their work.
- Draft and/or check and approve official project correspondence.
- Monitor and oversee that project inputs and administrative
processes such as procurement and contracting are carried out promptly
and in accordance with ICMPD rules and established processes/procedures.
Look for opportunities to improve work processes; identify lessons
learnt and best practices specifically for field office project
- Ensure that project cycle management processes are implemented
and duly documented in accordance with ICMPD’s Quality Management
- Implement and coordinate individual DDF actions, including
coordination with all stakeholders in the selection, development and
review of actions; the identification, selection and review of external
experts and service providers; and, support to and overseeing the
implementation of actions by Team members.
- Organise and coordinate the organisation of meetings, seminars,
workshops and conferences ensuring that these activities are carried out
in an efficient and cost-effective manner.
- Formulate and draft inputs to project events. Ensure that agenda,
technical notes and working group papers and other inputs to events are
produced according to expected quality standards and in a timely
- Participate in and, as necessary, chair or moderate project events, seminars and workshops.
- Conduct/lead project missions in the region as required; ensure
the preparation of timely mission, monitoring and evaluation reports and
follow-up on findings.
- Draft and update documentation on project activities and results, including monthly reporting to HQ.
- Ensure timely reporting to donors and partners; oversee the
formulation and drafting of narrative reports and any other project
periodic reports. Coordinate the preparation of financial reports with
the operations support unit.
- Present project results, proactively and upon request, to various
stakeholder groups, such as the donor, ECOWAS Commission and Committee
for Project Steering and Coordination.
- Implement a project monitoring and evaluation plan; conduct an
internal project review at least once a year, as well as a final review
at project closure.
- Oversee implementation of the project communication strategy and
revise as required; develop and draft project-related PR materials such
as newsletters, write-ups, updates for the website, and coordinate and
oversee inputs from the Team.
- Project financial management
- Manage all financial aspects of the project in close coordination
with the operations support unit ensuring that the project is
implemented according to the budget, set limits are respected and
corrective actions are undertaken promptly.
- Manage budget implementation based on financial management system (SAP).
- Preparing and planning quarterly budget expenditure forecasts in close cooperation with HQ.
- Initiate revisions as may be required to adjust the budget to changes in work plan.
- Manage all internal budgets for activities implemented in close
coordination with units in HQ and/or implementing partners, including
the use of internal expert days.
- Oversee the project implementation in terms of financial
management, ensuring that all project expenditures are properly and
- Manage communication with all partners on financial reports and related inputs.
- Representation and external relations
- Represent ICMPD in the Project Support Unit; steer ICMPD’s inputs to and daily contact with the Consortium partners.
- Represent ICMPD towards the EUD and the ECOWAS Commission.
- Represent ICMPD towards the Government of Nigeria, liaise with key counterparts in support of seat agreement negotiations.
- Represent ICMPD in Abuja and in the region; develop networks and build credible working relations with key partners.
- Ensure ICMPD representation at the appropriate level in all project related meetings or events.
- Participate on behalf of ICMPD in conferences/meetings/seminars relevant for the project and area of work.
- Knowledge and information management
- Provide regular updates and reports on progress of the project.
- Draft, review, comment upon, revise and approve project outputs
(reports, studies, presentations, policy papers, publications) and
ensure that project outputs are produced according to the work plan and
to ICMPD’s quality standards.
- Lead the knowledge-building and knowledge sharing within the
project and substantively contribute to ICMPD’s knowledge of West
Africa, and of how to best promote regional free movement and strengthen
regional economic communities.
- Develop at least one policy brief per year to inform overall direction and policy discussions on free movement in the region.
- Ensure visibility of project results.
- Ensure that all information and knowledge regarding operational, administrative and finance issues is available as required.
- Identify and formulate lessons learnt and best practices at
project level to feed into formulation of new projects and as inputs to
- Safety, security and incidence management
- Implement team/office and staff-related safety and security measures.
- Ensure compliance by staff with all safety and security-related instructions.
- Monitor and report all security-related incidents.
- Serve as ICMPD’s representative to the UN SLT team at the country level.
- Assume the function of Emergency Manager in case of emergency.
- Liaise with IOM, the UN security apparatus and the Government of
Nigeria as may be necessary on matters concerning the security and
protection of ICMPD staff and family members.
Core values, Qualifications and ExperienceCore Values
- Demonstrating appreciation of the multicultural nature of the
organisation and the diversity of its staff and promoting ICMPD values:
Commitment, Integrity, Partnership, Respect and Innovation in actions
Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in political or social sciences,
international relations, legal studies or related field, with a strong
expertise in migration.
- A minimum of 5 years relevant international experience in the
management of complex projects and programmes, in particular in the
field of capacity development for government institutions.
- Proven experience in team management.
- Previous work experience in West Africa is highly desirable.
Knowledge, skills, abilities
- Technical knowledge and expertise in the field of migration.
- Strong knowledge of technical assistance and capacity development methodologies.
- Excellent project cycle management skills.
- Excellent level of conceptual and analytical capacity is essential.
- Leadership, vision, ability to empower others and to manage their performance.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in teams, delivering through and with others.
- Creating and promoting an enabling environment for open communication.
- Building staff competence, creating an environment of creativity and innovation.
- Fair and transparent decision-making; calculated risk-taking.
- Proven excellent organizational and planning skills.
- Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong representational skills and negotiation abilities.
- Writing skills that include attention to detail and a grasp of conceptual frameworks.
- Sharing knowledge across the organisation and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning.
- Strong computer skills, including word processing, spreadsheets, presentation packages, internet, etc.
- Written and oral fluency in English, and excellent working knowledge of French is required.
- Knowledge of Portuguese is an asset.
ICMPD offers a competitive salary commensurate with the successful applicant’s experience and education.
Please address all your enquiries to email@example.com, indicating vacancy number and title of post in the subject line.
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application through the ICMPD online recruitment system at http://www.icmpd.org/work-for-us/current-vacancies
by midnight (CET) of the closing date specified above. For this
purpose, you will first need to register with the ICMPD website. Once
you have entered your data you will be able to quickly apply for further
vacancies and ICMPD can contact you if opportunities matching your
profile arise in the future.
Please note that in the course of the online application you are requested to upload your CV in the EuropeAid format. The template is available for download at http://www.icmpd.org/work-for-us/.
Please also note that you are requested to include a cover letter
(max. 4 pages), where we expect you to detail your motivation to apply
for this post and indicate with examples, how you meet the each of the
required knowledge, skills and abilities listed in this vacancy
announcement. For any criteria that you would like to leave blank,
please clearly indicate ‘n/a’.
Should you experience technical difficulties with the online application system please send your application per e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, specifying the type of difficulties you encountered.
Recruitment starts immediately upon publication of this
vacancy announcement and posts may be filled already before the
indicated application deadline. Therefore, we encourage you to submit your application early. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Written tests and interviews are
planned to be held during the second and third weeks of November.
Applicants are expected to be available during this time period for a
personal interview in Abuja or Vienna, or, if circumstances do not
permit you to travel, for an interview over skype or telephone.