Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children
in need, with programs in over 120 countries, including the United
States. We aim to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats
children, and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives by
improving their health,
education and economic opportunities. In
times of acute crisis, we mobilize rapid assistance to help children
recover from the effects of war, conflict and natural disasters. Each
year, we and our partners reach millions of children in communities
around the world. Join our dedicated and diverse staff in their work
to improve the well-being of children everywhere.
Save the Children is recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Finance Officer
Location: Calabar, Cross River, Nigeria
Key Areas of Accountability
- Have essential knowledge of Finance and Accounting. Ensure that
roles and responsibilities are clear and have strong understanding
of all of Donor’s and Save the Children’s regulations and policies,
especially the core policies such as; Finance policies and procedures,
Child Safeguarding Policy, Code of Conduct, Fraud & dishonesty
policies, Anti-bribery and corruption policy and whistle blowing policy.
- Coordinate with the Line manager to ensure timely and
appropriate cash flows, matched with the operational needs of the state
office and budget forecasts, and in line with SC policies and donor
- Manage the electronic spreadsheet/format for receiving and
disbursing funds; coordinate the preparation and timely submission of
monthly financial reports and other reports to Abuja as required. Ensure
accurate keeping of account books (electronic and paper) for the state
- Preparation and submission of monthly Balance Sheet Reconciliations to CO Abuja
- Help ensure that timely and accurate information is generated
and disseminated accordingly to the project team, to inform activity
planning and forecasts.
- Make statutory payments to the relevant authorities such as
PAYE, WHT, and PENSION deduction and ensure adequate documentation is
kept in the office.
- Conduct state level finance induction for all new staff on finance policies, systems and procedure
- Support the state teams to provide administrative and technical
support to the partners to ensure that all financial documentation and
reports are prepared and submitted on a timely basis in line with SC
policies, project agreements.
- In collaboration with the line manager support the training in
financial management in accordance with SC’s financial management
- Process all banking activities in the state office, ensuring
that bank account records are accurately maintained, and that bank
statements are obtained on a timely basis.
- Process all payments (cheque and/or cash) to vendors, service
providers, and partners in line with SC policies & Donor
requirements. Ensure all financial transactions in the state office are
appropriately approved, authorised and administered, in line with SC
& Donor policies.
- Maintain the office cash box and disburse cash payments. Ensure
weekly cash counts are done and properly documented by non finance
- Any other tasks as assigned by supervisor
Skills and Behaviours (our Values in Practice)
- Accuracy and timeliness in all areas of responsibility
- High level of accuracy in work, and ability to analyse complex sets of relationships and situations
- Holds self and others accountable
- Creating best-in-class EA function
- Future-orientated, thinks pro-actively
- Working effectively with stakeholders to achieve common goals
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Designing more effective admin systems
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honesty, encourages openness and transparency, demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
Skills & Experience
Administrative & General Skills
- Level of Education – B.Sc /HND or equivalent
- Specified Study Area – Finance / Accounts / Business Administration
- Excellent verbal communication and listening skills.
- Language Requirements: Spoken English-Excellent; Written English-Excellent
- Must be able to speak at least one local language predominant in that state.
- Level of IT Expertise: Excellent (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.)
- Professional certificate in accounting and finance
- Knowledge and experience in working with USAID regulations
- Experience in working with partners accountable for grants and
other financial support provided to implement project activities,
particularly at community level.
- Good training and facilitation skills (for financial training/support to partners).
- Ability to multi-task, engage in long-term planning, meet
deadlines, and handle last-minute demands; exercise patience, and adapt
to changing circumstances.
- Ability to be creative and proactive health service improvement is essential.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 3rd November, 2016.