UN Women – In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN
Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the
Empowerment of Women. In doing so, UN Member States took an historic
step in accelerating the Organization’s goals on gender equality and
empowerment of women. The creation of UN Women came about as part
of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for
greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four
previously distinct parts of the UN system, which focused exclusively
on gender equality and women’s empowerment.
UN Women is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Associate
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of
the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against
women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of
equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of
development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
UN Women, with funding from the Japanese government, is implementing a
one-year project titled “Mainstreaming Gender into Humanitarian Response
in Nigeria” This project is a humanitarian action component of UN
Women’s current Peace and Security programme in Nigeria. It is designed
to address the needs of internally displaced women and girls especially
survivors of Sexual and Gender Based Violence (SGBV). It will focus on
filling critical gender gaps in the on-going humanitarian response
activities in three areas:
- Strengthen emergency assistance initiatives to Internally
Displaced Persons (IDPs) women/girls and survivors of SGBV in target
- Improve the economic capacity and social rehabilitation of women affected by crisis for peaceful cohabitation in target areas.
- Strengthen humanitarian coordination mechanisms for a more comprehensive and gender-responsive approach in Nigeria.
It is in this context that UN Women in Nigeria is seeking to recruit a
Programme Associate on a short term assignment to support members of the
Humanitarian Team in the implementation of effective programmes
consistent with UN Women rules and regulations. The position contributes
to research, financial management, and programme implementation
including pro-siding necessary operational, administrative and
programmatic support. The Programme Associate will work with the
National Programme Officer, in close collaboration with the operations,
programme and other projects’ staff (including consultants) in the
Country Office, Regional Office and UN Women HQ as required.
Functions and key Results Expected
Summary of Key Functions:
- Support in the formulation of Programme Strategies;
- Management Support;
- Administrative, Financial Management and Logistical Support to the Programme Unit
- Facilitation of Knowledge Building and Knowledge Sharing.
Description of Functions
Support in the formulation of Programme Strategies:
- Collect and present background information for the preparation of programme documents
- Provide programme and administrative support in the preparation
of programme workplans, budgets, and proposals on programme
- Assemble briefing materials and prepare power-point and other presentations for the programme unit;
- Identify sources, and gather and compile data and information
forthe preparation of documents, guidelines, speeches and position
Programme Management Support:
- Support the Programme Team in the implementation of th control
mechanisms for projects through monitoring of budget preparation and
- Provide necessary information for the audit of programmes/projects and support implementation of audit recommendations;
- Organize, compile and process information from donors. Regional
Office, and programme team, as inputs to various databases and
- Support the Programme team in the tracking and reporting on mobilized resources.
- Prepare required budget revisions, revision of project award and
project status, determination of unutilized funds, operational and
financial close of a project;
- Support the Programme Team in the financial management of Programmes;
- Provide guidance to the executing agencies on routine implementation of projects, tracking use of financial resources;
Administrative, Financial Management and Logistical Support to the Programme Unit:
- Provide administrative and logistical support for proper planning, expenditure tracking and audit of financial resources;
- Prepare required budget revisions, revision of project award and
project status, determine unutilized funds, operational sad financial
close of a project:
- Ensure that all financial transactions are identified, recorded and verified;
- Provide continuous analysis and monitoring of financial
situation, forecasts for development and management projects in close
collaboration with the Programme Officer.
- Make all necessary logistical arrangements for official travel
missions, ensuring that appropriate entitlements calculation and other
requirements are fulfilled
- Provide administrative support related to hiring of consultants,
engagement of partners and other procurement related matter in close
cooperation with Operations unit;
- Prepare materials, estimates and other documents to support budget review, planning and preparation;
Facilitation of Knowledge Building and Knowledge Sharing:
- Support synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices related to programme management;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice:
- Support organization of training for the office staff and partners on programme and operations related issues.
- Support synthesis of lessons learned and best practices in programme finance;
Education and certification:
- Completion of secondary education requited. University degree or equivalent in Business or Public Admin
- A minimum of 8 years of administrative experience preferably in a large or international corporation or organization;
- Experience in working is a computer environment using multiple office software packages, experience in ATLAS an advantage.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Knowledge of the other UN working knowledge is an asset.
- Knowledge of llama is an asset.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit an application letter,
CV with a UN standard personal history form and send to: email@example.com
- We will only consider applications with complete P11 attached.
UN Women will only be able to respond to those applicants in whom UN
Women has a further interest.
- UN Women does not solicit or screen for information in respect
of HIV or AIDS and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS
status. Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Application Deadline 28th October, 2016.