Today, UNESCO’s message has never been more
important. We must create holistic policies that are capable of
addressing the social, environmental and economic dimensions of
sustainable development. This new thinking on sustainable development
reaffirms the founding principles of the Organization and enhances its
UNESCO is known as the “intellectual” agency of the
United Nations. At a time when the world is looking for new ways to
build peace and sustainable development, people must rely on the power
of intelligence to innovate, expand their horizons and sustain the hope
of a new humanism. UNESCO exists to bring this creative intelligence to
life; for it is in the minds of men and women that the defences of peace
and the conditions for sustainable development must be built.
Job Title: Programme Specialist
Under the overall authority of the Assistant
Director-General for Education (ADG/ED), guidance from the Director of
the UNESCO Multisectoral Office in Abuja and direct supervision from the
ED Senior Programme Specialist, the incumbent shall support the
development, planning and implementation of the education programmes in
West Africa, with a focus on higher education, innovation and
technology, quality assurance in higher education, the use of ICTs and
the promotion of technical and vocational education and training (TVET).
In particular, the incumbent will:
- Provide intellectual, strategic and operational
leadership and advise the Director on the most appropriate ways to
integrate regional, sub-regional and country concerns in UNESCO’s
strategies, policies, programmes and projects, in particular in relation
to the area of Higher Education and ICTs.
- Assess and lead analytical studies to identify regional
demands, needs and interests in particular in the area of higher
education and ICT use in education; undertake and commission research in
cooperation with higher education and R&D institutions.
- Support the development of synergies and collaboration
with regional and sub-regional organizations to strengthen and harmonize
higher education systems; cooperate with regional partners to promote
TVET & the harmonisation of regional qualifications frameworks.
- Identify key internal and external stakeholders and work
collaboratively with them. Build influential partnerships, maintain
systematic contact with UNCT in West Africa and develop joint programmes
with other UN agencies or regional partners.
- Generate extra budgetary projects in line with regional
policy priorities, including the identification, preparation and
negotiation of projects and cooperation frameworks with regional and
- Support and promote the design and development or
utilization of existing solutions to meet regional demand, needs,
interests and expectations from educational reforms, changes and
innovations in the region; Share knowledge and best practices, update
and disseminate information on trends across the sub-region.
- Build on experiences to promote the use of ICTs in
strengthening the quality of education systems in the sub-region;
Support the implementation of the Gender Transformation Leadership
- Provide technical support to Member States in the
sub-region on policy and programming; Support the strengthening of
national capacities for the implementation and monitoring of the Revised
Arusha Convention; Facilitate cooperation in quality assurance in
higher education and the implementation of the Arusha Convention in the
- Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent
degree) in education, social science, science, engineering, economics or
related field. A first-level university degree in combination with two
additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the
advanced university degree.
- A minimum of 7 years of progressively responsible
experience in education both at national and international level, of
which at least 4 years of experience/exposure in the field of higher
- Knowledge of higher education policies or management in higher education including the field of inter-university cooperation.
- Excellent coordination and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated fund-raising and resource mobilization skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills,
including the ability to prepare, present and discuss findings and
recommendations clearly and concisely.
- Ability to work in a team and to maintain effective working relationships in a multicultural environment.
- Analytical skills, ability to collect, synthesise and analyse information from various sources.
- Proven ability to identify emerging educational trends
and needs, and ability to plan strategically and to translate strategy
into priorities and action.
- Demonstrated ability to establish partnerships and to
ensure a high level coordination and cooperation among relevant
stakeholders inside and outside the Organisation.
- Excellent knowledge (written and spoken) of English or French, and a very good knowledge of the other language.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should Click Here to Apply