The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
is committed to promoting geographical distribution (last update) and
gender equality within its Secretariat.
Therefore, women candidates
are strongly encouraged to apply, as well as nationals from non- and
under-represented Member States. Persons with disabilities are also
encouraged to apply. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members
appointed to international posts. UNESCO does not charge a fee at any
stage of the recruitment process.
UNESCO is recruiting personnel for the job position below:
Job Title: Programme Specialist (Social and Human Sciences)
Post Number: 6NGSHS 0001RP
Type of Contract: Fixed Term
Functions of the Post
- Under the overall authority of the Assistant Director-General
for Social and Human Sciences (SHS) and the direct supervision of the
Director of the Office, the incumbent will be responsible for the
design, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting of the
UNESCO Social and Human Science Programme for the countries covered by
the Abuja Office.
- He/she will ensure SHS’s contribution to the UNCTs programmatic
work and Delivering as One exercise in the countries covered by the
The incumbent of the post in particular will:
- Plan and implement programme activities to achieve the expected
results of the C/5 and UNDAFs of the countries covered by the Office.
- Follow the developments and advancements related to the Sector’s
fields of competence, in order to advise concerned stakeholders and
colleagues on policy formulation, project development, resources and
- Identify needs, develop and seek funding for new project
proposals to be supported by extra-budgetary sources, and execute those
- Provide advice to national authorities, peers, management and
colleagues on a variety of issues in the field of social and human
- Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent) in Social
and Human Sciences, Political Science, International Relations, or a
- A first-level university degree in combination with two
additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the
advanced university degree.
- Minimum 4 years of relevant professional experience in the area of social and human sciences or a related field.
- Strong conceptual and analytical skills;
- Good organizational skills;
- Ability to work effectively in a team and to maintain effective working relations within a multi-cultural environment;
- Sound judgement and decision-making skills;
- Solid IT skills including knowledge of office software.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and communication (oral and in writing), with ability to draft clearly and concisely;
- Capacity to establish partnership and coordinate with a range of partners at all levels, within and outside the Organization.
- Excellent/very good knowledge (written and spoken) of English or
French, and good knowledge (written and spoken) of the other language.
- At least 2 years of professional experience in the UN system or in international development cooperation;
- Previous working experience in sub-Saharan Africa Region.
- Demonstrated experience in establishing and maintaining professional networks;
- Research and analysis in the fields relevant to the post as demonstrated through authored peer-reviewed publications;
- Good knowledge of UNESCO’s work in the field, and familiarity with SHS Sector activities;
- Knowledge of fund-raising and other resource mobilization mechanisms;
- Knowledge of the geopolitical context of the region;
- Good project management skills.
- Familiarity with the work and general functioning of international organizations and/or the United Nations System;
- Knowledge of other official languages of UNESCO (Arabic, Chinese, Russian and/or Spanish).
- 83 560 USD (Annual Salary).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 7th November, 2016.