VSO is the world’s leading independent international development
organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty in
developing countries. Our highimpact approach brings people together to
share skills, build capabilities, promote international understanding
and action to change lives and make the world a fairer place.
Voluntary Services Overseas (VSO) is recruiting to fill the job position below:
Job Title: Advocacy Specialist
Job ID: JOB0084180
Location: Minna, Niger
Duration: 12 Months
- The role involves working closely with and supporting one or
more VSO Partners and / or civil society organizations (CSOs) as they
develop advocacy initiatives to bring about policy changes in Niger
State in relation to agriculture and market access for the poor.
- Support and develop the capacity of one or more IMA4P Nigeria
Partners in the field of advocacy and engagement with national/regional
Government on issues of policy and legislative reform in keeping with
the needs of the project
- Strengthen the capacity of staff of partner organizations (CSOs) relating to organisational capacity for effective advocacy.
- Identify opportunities for advancing CSOs’ and wider voice and
standing with the Government. Coordinate work to ensure CSOs take
advantage of these opportunities to ensure positive outcomes
- Contribute to and support the leadership and coordination of the
sectors, thematic advocacy including identifying the key issues in
brief, advocacy action plan, talking points, information kits, etc;
- Support media and communication efforts on the implementation of advocacy strategy.
- Provide expert advice and support on advocacy and campaigning strategies and community based approaches.
- Work closely with Partners, CSOs and farmer collectives to
develop evidence-based, comprehensive advocacy strategies and
Key Performance Indicators
- Participation in the development of a strategy or strategies for
engagement in national or regional debates on policy issues relating
to democratic reform
- Communication materials and community engagement advocacy tools developed.
- Government partners engaged and sensitized to be responsive to the voices of CSOs and communities
- IMA4P profile raised
- Objectives will be confirmed in three way discussions between
the volunteer, employer and VSO in the first three months of the
- Effective and context-sensitive support for the implementation of advocacy initiatives
- Advocacy strategy and implementation plan produced to the satisfaction of stakeholders
- Key issues and advocacy messages developed and rolled out
- Capacity of partner staff relating to advocacy greatly improved, as measured by the partner organisation.
Building and Sustaining working relationships:
- The social skills to build and actively maintain working
relationships that foster teamwork and collaboration with others for the
benefit of a common goal.
Open Minded and Respectful:
- A non-judgemental approach that values other people and culture.
Seeking and Sharing Knowledge:
- Recognition that learning is a two-way and continuous process.
Facilitating Positive Change:
- The ability to analyse problems and develop lasting solutions in line with VSO approaches.
- A flexible approach and the ability to adapt behaviour to different situations.
- The self-confidence to work with a variety of situations, diverse people and ambiguity.
Skills and Knowledge
- A University degree in Social Sciences, International
Development, or related field. A minimum of three years professional
experience in a related sector or context.
- Proven track record of delivering successful policy-related advocacy strategies within a development context.
- Excellent communication and social skills, the ability to work
closely with a variety of stakeholders in a developing country and
non-english speaking context.
- Ability to work independently as well as with multiple stakeholders in a time-pressured environment.
- Ability to work both as team member and independently
- Experience in lobbying, advocacy and/or influencing a range of
decision-makers e.g. national governments or inter-government
- Understanding of a wide variety of advocacy and social
accountability programme approaches, preferably with expertise in
undertaking applied research.
- Demonstrated success in engaging with and mobilizing communities related to social accountability and development
- Experience in capacity strengthening. Training and advisory work
- Experience of Monitoring and Evaluation, particularly of advocacy projects
- Awareness and sensitivity of political/socio-cultural context of Africa
- Proven ability to create and maintain effective working relationships with high level stakeholders
Interview/Assessment Date(s) TBC
Start Date TBC
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 30th November, 2016.