World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating
authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible
for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health
research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating
evidence-based policy options,
providing technical support to countries
and monitoring and assessing health trends.
World Health Organization (WHO) is recruiting to fill the job position below:
Job Title: National Data Manager
Vacancy Notice No: AFRO/16/TASR147
Location: Maiduguri, Nigeria
Contract type: Temporary Appointment under Staff Rule 420.4
Duration of contract: 12 Months
Organization unit: AF/IVE Immunization, Vaccines and Emergencies (AF/IVE) / AF/PEI Polio Eradication (AF/PEI)
Objective of the Programme
The objective of the EPI programme is to support national authorities to
provide high quality immunization services that will contribute to (a)
the reduction of mortality, morbidity and disability from vaccine
preventable diseases through the optimum use of available and new
vaccines and (b) the strengthening of national health systems as well as
efforts to achieve the Millennium Development Goals.
Description of Duties
Under the overall guidance of the EPI Cluster Lead, technical oversight
of the Monitoring and Evaluation Coordinator direct supervision from
State Coordinator, the incumbent will be working closely with the
government counterparts and partners at State and zonal levels in
support of the following specific EPI activities:
- Establish, maintain and up-date databases pertaining to each programmatic area in EPI/PEI
- Perform data validation and cleaning on all data received before
forwarding to the zone and national level (surveillance, IPDs, RI,
Special Intervention, HTR, accessibility, IDP Camps and other data
- Produce weekly, monthly and quarterly analysis feedback from data to enhance decision making at state and LGA level
- Represent WHO in the Borno State EOC Data Team and support the state EOC with data presentation, analysis and interpretation.
- Create and secure back-up copies of data in the state.
- Provide technical data management support to the state government.
- Conduct data management training to build the capacity of officers.
- Provide regular feedback on data quality, timeliness and completeness to CCs and LGAFs for action.
- Track and obtain missing or incomplete data/reports and provide feedback to relevant levels.
- Provide all round GIS support including accessibility, Vaccination Tracking System (VTS)
- Perform other activities as required by the supervisor
- Essential: University Degree in Statistics, Information Systems
and Communication Technology, or other relevant fields from recognized
- Desirable: Training in public health data management
- Ability to work effectively with colleagues at national and international levels;
- Ability to provide leadership, monitor progress and design technical communication materials;
- Fully conversant in word-processing, spreadsheet, database, presentation, epidemiological (Epiifo) and mapping software.
- Producing results:
- Fostering integration and teamwork;
- Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond;
- Promoting WHO’s position in health leadership
- Ensuring the effective use of resources;
- Essential: At least five years relevant experience including field experience in data management/GIS.
- Desirable: Experience in public health especially in immunization activities
- Essential: Excellent knowledge of English
- Desirable: Knowledge of the other UN languages
- WHO offers an attractive compensation package including an
annual net salary (subject to mandatory deductions for pension
contributions and health insurance), dependency benefits, pension plan,
health insurance scheme, and 30 days annual leave.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidate should:
Click here to apply
Note: Candidates will be contacted only if they are under serious consideration
Application Deadline 15th November, 2016.