BBC Hausa is part of the British Broadcasting Corporation, the world’s
largest public broadcaster. In Africa the BBC reaches a weekly audience
of more than 90 million people on Radio, TV, Digital, Mobile and Social
Media. We broadcast to Africa in English, Hausa, Somali, French,
Kinyarwanda/Kirundi, Kiswahili and Arabic.
The BBC Hausa Service is the pre-eminent international broadcaster in
the Hausa language with our teams based in London and Abuja.
Broadcasting since 1957, the service now offers the most trusted Hausa
news service on TV, radio, digital (bbchausa.com) and social media to
our audiences in West Africa and the worldwide diaspora.
In this role you’ll be leading the BBC Hausa digital effort. So we are
looking for an experienced digital journalist to provide the creative
leadership and vision needed to deliver a mobile, social and digital
strategy which ensures that our editorial impact in Africa and beyond
remains the best in the business.
At the BBC you will be have a chance to work on ground-breaking content which will be seen and used by millions of people.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Senior Multi-Media Journalist, Digital
Job Reference: BBC/TP/7209/18428
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Department: BBC Hausa Service
Division: World Service Group
Reports to Editor, BBC Hausa (with other dotted line reports)
Contract: 1 x Fixed Term [1 year]
Purpose of the Role
- We are looking for a senior digital journalist to shape digital
editorial development and delivery across all our digital platforms and
to help influence the growth of digital skills and approaches across BBC
- You will be responsible for defining best practice on our social
media accounts, as well as assessing our next move on social media
platforms, and feeding into our evolving work on short-
- from content. You have dynamic ideas and have great connections in the digital industry in West Africa.
- You will be reporting to the Editor, BBC Hausa, with a dotted
line report to the Digital Editor, BBC Africa. Your will be expected to
cultivate relationships with the BBC Africa Planning teams and BBC News
website teams to ensure that BBC Hausa Service digital content is
effectively disseminated inside as well as outside the BBC.
- You will oversee the development of BBC Hausa digital. As a
senior member of the digital editorial team, you will help the service
to build authentic connections between the BBC and its audience. You
will curate the best visual stories for a global Hausa audience.
- As a digital champion you will liaise between the service and
the wider BBC and communicate the BBC digital vision and industry
developments to the department.
Mobile First journalism:
- BBC Hausa thinks mobile first and you will be expected to use
your extensive knowledge about the user experience to deliver exciting,
- You will responsible for ensuring we continue to deliver best practice.
- You will have ideas about the mixture of content, frequency, packaging and discoverability for the mobile audience.
- The BBC has been one of the global leaders in experimenting with
the latest social and digital tools in journalism. We’re looking to you
to help us continue our development but also push the innovation
further; you’ll be expected to work with the Digital Editor, BBC Africa
to identify the latest apps, trends and digital story treatments which
BBC Hausa should be using. In this highly visible role you’ll be sharing
your digital vision for the service with various key stakeholders.
- You will be expected to produce daily sharable content for
online and social – including text stories, picture stories, videos and
live pages. In order to do that you will have accurate editing and
writing skills in Hausa and also be able to reversion English text into
- Engagement on social and online is key for our relationship with the audience.
- We’re looking for someone who is connected to our core audience
communities and will implement an imaginative engagement approach.
- Your plan is expected to consider how to gain new audiences ‘off-site’, and drive them back to our home page and stories.
- As a senior digital guru to the service, you will be a main
point of reference for identifying training needs for your team and the
- To identify, develop and execute editorial opportunities involving social media across all platforms.
- To provide oversight of the accounts being provided by BBC Hausa’s social media services
- To report regularly on performance with a clear focus on growing
reach; reaching new audiences; spotting content opportunities to which
- To assist in developing future strategies, including around new platforms and audience engagement
- Be advisor to all colleagues in the BBC Hausa Service on best practice in the use of digital tools.
Skills, Knowledge & Experience Required
We are looking for an exceptional digital journalist who has the following skills, knowledge and experience:
- Significant recent experience as a digital journalist both in originating ideas and material and in editing the work of others.
- Excellent news and editorial judgment.
- Video shooting and editing skills.
- Experience of managing digital communities and the ability to communicate diplomatically with audiences.
- Understanding and appreciation of the aims of the BBC World Service.
- Demonstrable track record of imaginative and advance use of
social media including a wide of range of platforms such as Facebook,
WhatsApp, Instagram and Twitter.
- Excellent Hausa and English language skills.
- Editorial Judgement – demonstrates balanced and objective
judgement based on a thorough understanding of BBC editorial guidelines,
target audience, programme and department objectives. Makes the right
editorial decisions, taking account of conflicting views where
- Imagination / Creative Thinking – Is able to transform creative
ideas/impulses into practical reality. Can look at existing situations
and problems in novel ways and come up with creative solutions.
- Planning and Organisation – Is able to think ahead in order to
establish an efficient and appropriate course of action for self and
others. Prioritises and plans activities taking into account all the
relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources
- Leadership – Ability to create a vision and inspire others to
realise it irrespective of circumstances. Can demonstrate experience or
ability of leading teams and able to develop collaborative relationships
with other parts of the BBC.
- Talent Management – Is able to recognise potential (managerial,
professional, artistic or otherwise) and is willing to foster the
development of that potential. Creates a climate in which potential can
- Change Management – Can understand and anticipate the need for
change. Builds frameworks to plan and manage the continuous process of
- Business Management – Is able to understand commercial
imperatives and trading relationships, appropriately applies business
principles in terms of costs, the market and added value.
- Managing relationships – Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people.
- Self-Development – Is able to identify and apply opportunities for learning and development.
- Resilience – Can maintain personal effectiveness by managing own
emotions in the face of pressure, setbacks or when dealing with
provocative situations. Can demonstrate an approach to work that is
characterised by commitment, motivation and energy.
- Strategic Thinking – Can identify a vision along with the plans
which need to be implemented to meet the end goal. Evaluates situations,
decisions, issues, etc. in the short, medium and longer-term.
- Analytical Thinking – Able to simplify complex problems,
processes or projects into component parts, explore and evaluate them
systematically. Able to identify causal relationships, and construct
frameworks, for problem-solving and/or development.
- Decision Making – Is ready and able to take the initiative,
originate action and be responsible for the consequences of the decision
- Influencing and Persuading – Ability to present sound and
well-reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of
strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or
- Communication – The ability to get one’s message understood
clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate
to the audience and the nature of the information.
- You will understand diversity in its widest sense and appreciate
the uniqueness of self and others, and how individual differences can
benefit the BBC.
- You will demonstrate a commitment to improving diversity in the
BBC and take a balanced approach to discussing and taking action on
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 25th November, 2016.