Mercy Corps is an international NGO that is dedicated to alleviate
suffering, poverty and oppression by helping people build secure,
productive and just communities. Our core values includes: building
intrinsic value and dignity of human life. And are awed by human
resilience, and believe in the
ability of all people to thrive, not just
exist, that all people have the right to live in peaceful communities
and participate fully in the decisions that affect their lives.
We value stewardship of the earth’s health, pledging to accountably and
efficiently preserve and manage its resources and believe that it is our
duty to be effective stewards of the financial resources entrusted to
Mercy Corps is currently recruiting for the position of:
Job Title: Senior Finance Officer
Tracking Code: 218350-927
Job Location: Abuja
- The MC Nigeria Finance Department is responsible for all
financial functions, including accounting, payments and banking,
payroll, budgeting, financial reporting, and grant financial management
- The MC Nigeria Finance Department ensures compliance with donor
regulations as well as Mercy Corps’ internal policies and procedures. In
its role as a support to the Program Department, the Finance Department
provides timely reports and assistance to the Country Director and the
Program team to ensure that financial resources are used efficiently and
- Working in the Finance Department under the direction of the
Finance Manager, the Senior Finance Officer will ensure the accuracy and
completeness of Mercy Corps accounting records and will have primary
responsibility for managing the monthly accounting cycle.
- Daily management of the assistant finance officer
- Oversee daily cash count with the assistant finance officer
- Coordinate the preparation and ensure the on-time submission of the monthly reporting package to HQ
- Oversee the maintenance of all accounting records, ensuring that records are complete, accurate and safeguarded
- Assist in the training and support of the finance officers in
field offices, including answering daily questions, training new hires,
making field visits, etc.
- Monitor cash and bank balances and coordinate monthly cash flow
requests from sub-offices; prepare consolidated country cash flow
requests to HQ
- Assist the Finance Manager in responding to audit inquiries
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in
such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize
its humanitarian mission
- Manage the month end accounting close process, ensuring the
accuracy and completeness of the ledger, sub-journals and all supporting
documentation in all country offices.
- Primary responsibility for maintaining the general ledger
software files, including set up and maintenance of new project
accounts, regular back-up of files, etc.
- Review sub-journals and upload data to the general ledger
- Prepare revenue recognition entries and other final closing journal entries
- Enter, post and maintain filing of monthly journal entries
- Prepare month end balance sheet account reconciliations
- Other duties as assigned.
- As part of Mercy Corps’ agency-wide Organizational Learning
Initiative, all team members are responsible for spending 5% of their
work time in formal and/or non-formal professional learning activities.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts
towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to
international standards guiding international relief and development
work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners
in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Four or more years of general ledger accounting experience is required.
- Advanced computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel
- Prior management experience and strong organizational skills
- Excellent oral and written English skills
- Prior work experience in Nigeria and knowledge of the local dialect is a must
- A university degree in Accounting is required.
- Two years experience in the Finance Department of an international NGO is preferred.
- Demonstrated competency with computerized general ledger software
How to Apply
Qualified and interested candidates should submit applications which
will include a one-page cover letter with salary requirements, CV with
references, original transcripts, degree certification and NYSC
Certificate to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Application Deadline 7th December, 2016.