IITA is one of the world’s leading research partners in finding
solutions for hunger, malnutrition, and poverty. Its award-winning
research-for-development (R4D) approach addresses the development needs
of tropical countries. IITA works with partners to enhance crop quality
and productivity, reduce producer and consumer risks, and generate
wealth from agriculture.
IITA is a non-profit organization founded in
1967 in Nigeria and governed by a Board of Trustees. IITA works on the
following crops: cowpea, soybean, banana/plantain, yam, cassava, and
maize. It is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research
partnership for a food secure future.
IITA operates an International House (I-House), with 108 well-appointed
rooms, spacious dormitory facilities, and a conference hall that is an
ideal venue for organizing workshops, retreats, team building exercises,
or a relaxing weekend with the family. The campus also has leisure and
recreational facilities, and a community store which offers basic
household goods for campus residents.
IITA is inviting applications for the internationally recruited position below:
Job Title: Head, Hospitality and Travel Services
Ref. No: DDG-R4D/PL/AY/11/16
This position reports to the Deputy Director General-Corporate Services. The tasks are as follows:
- Manage I-House, Ikeja Guest House, Abuja Guest House to international standards and oversee Travel Services and Sports centre.
- Lead, recruit, develop and retain staff to deliver services in the most efficient and effective manner.
- Plan and manage new acquisitions, maintenance and upgrade of facilities of all IITA guest houses as required.
- Initiate energy saving methods.
- Ensure delivery of effective client focused services.
- Give professional support to leisure activities on the Ibadan
compound and organize social events to enhance the quality of social
life on IITA campus.
- Manage bookings and the use of the IITA Ibadan Conference Centre
- Continue to enhance revenue generation through effective use of Hospitality and Travel Service facilities.
- Ensure effective cost recovery of all operations, and meet the set zero budget targets.
- Provide continuous staff training and good customer care.
- Carry out any other duties as may be assigned by management.
- The candidate should have a BSc/BA degree in Business Administration, Hotel/Hospitality Management or other relevant field.
- Any related advanced degree will be an added advantage.
- Minimum of 10 years proven experience with five at a Senior
Management level in the hospitality business/corporate travel unit of an
- Working knowledge of MS Office and relevant software (e-g. ERP); knowledge of hotel management software (PMS) is an advantage.
- Demonstrable aptitude in decision-making and problem-solving.
- Reliable with ability to multi-task and work well under pressure.
- Outstanding communication (oral and written) and good negotiation skills.
- Excellent hands-on experience in customer service or sales management skills.
- Good interpersonal, excellent leadership and organizational skills.
- Numeracy and logistical planning skills. Great attention to details.
- Ability to work effectively in a multi-disciplinary and cross-cultural environment.
- Fluency in English; knowledge of other languages is a plus.
- Understanding of all hotel management best practices and relevant laws and guidelines.
- Knowledge of international travel regulations, customs and currencies.
- Solid understanding of hospitality procedure and best practices.
- Excellent analytical mind with strong business acumen.
- Ability to balance customer and business priorities.
- Knowledge of quality standards (e.g. ISO).
The contract will be for an initial period of three years with
possibility of renewal based on performance and availability of funding.
IITA offers internationally competitive remuneration package paid in
How to Apply
Interested applicants should forward their applications with detailed
curriculum vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format.
The application must include the names and e-mail addresses of
three professional referees which must include either the Head of
applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct
Supervisor/Superior officer at work and evidence of current
- This is a re-advertisement. Previous applicants who have submitted applications need not re-apply
- IITA is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from women candidates
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application Deadline 28th December, 2016.