Job Title: Auto Mechanic, FSN-05/FP-9*
Location: Lagos – General Services Office (GSO)
Work Hours: Full-time; 48 hours/week
Basic Function of the Position
- The incumbent repairs light, heavy and armored gasoline and diesel powered motor vehicles and forklifts.
- Examines vehicles to determine problems, carries out needed repairs, and performs safety checks and periodic maintenance.
- Responsible for knowing and adhering to shop safety procedures.
- Reports to the maintenance foreman any repairs not specified on the service work order.
- Performs repairs of car air-conditioning parts and filing of the appropriate gas into the system.
Note: All applicants MUST address each required qualification listed
below with specific information supporting each item. Failure to do so
may result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified:
- Completion of Secondary School education with vocation training in Automotive Mechanic work is required.
- Ability to diagnose, service, repair, and overhaul engines,
transmissions, brakes, steering, car air conditioning, and electrical
components of General motors Chevrolet, suburban
- Must have a valid Nigeria driver’s license to operate light
vehicles and trucks as well as ability to operate wrecker and tow
vehicles form one location to another.
- Minimum of five (5) years of general auto mechanic experience,
mainly in the area of servicing, overhauls, and repairs of engines,
transmissions, brakes, steering, car air conditioning and electrical
components of American motor vehicles (General Motors, Chevrolet
suburban and cars, Ford, and Chrysler motor vehicles).
- Level III (Good working knowledge) Speaking/Writing/Reading in English is required. Language proficiency will be tested.
Hiring Preference Selection Process
When qualified, applicants in the following hiring preference categories
are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below.
Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe
their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a
determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP**
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S.
Veteran must submit a copy of the most recent Member Copy Four (4) of
the DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty,
and, if applicable, a letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans
- If claiming conditional eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference, applicants must submit proof of conditional eligibility.
- If the written documentation confirming eligibility is not
received in the HR office by the closing date of the vacancy
announcement, the U.S. Veterans’ preference will not be considered in
the application process.
- Mission HR’s decision on eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference after reviewing all required documentation is final.
- This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP.
Additional Selection Criteria
- Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, and residency status in determining successful candidacy.
- Current OR employees serving a probationary period are not
eligible to apply. Current OR employees with an Overall Summary Rating
of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent
Employee Performance Report (EPR) are not eligible to apply
- Current NOR employees hired on a Family Member Appointment (FMA)
or a Personal Service Agreement (PSA) are not eligible to apply
within the first 90 calendar days of their employment, unless they
have a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule
- The candidate must be able to obtain and hold the local security certification after selection.
- Candidates who are EFMs, USEFMs, AEFMs, or MOHs must have at
least one year remaining on their sponsor’s tour of duty to be
considered eligible to apply for this position.
OR – Ordinarily Resident (OR) – N3,736,693 p.a. (Starting basic salary) Position Grade: FSN-05
In addition to the basic salary, all allowances will be paid in accordance with the Mission Local Compensation Plan.
NOR – Not Ordinarily Resident – AEFM – US$32,931 p.a EFM/MOH – US$28,262 (Full-Time Starting Salary) p.a.
Position Grade: FP-09*
How to Apply
Interested applicants for this position MUST submit the following, or the application will not be considered:
- Application for US Federal Employment (DS-174); or a current resume or curriculum vitae that provides the same information as a DS-174; plus,
- Candidates who claim U.S. Veterans preference must provide a copy of their Form DD-214 with their application.
- Any other documentation such as degrees or diplomas earned and NYSC Certificates/exemptions or awards.
- A type-written and signed application letter specifically
applying for this position, and addressing the
minimum requirements as advertised. Please
reference the job title and announcement number on
the application letter.
- Limit all electronic (e-mail) submissions to one entry/e-mail not larger than 5MB.
- Please submit attachments in PDF and Word formats, not pictures.
- E-mails received without the appropriate subject line and incomplete applications will not be considered.
Submit Application to: HRNigeria@state.gov
Click here to download the Position Descriptions (PDF)
- Mailed (paper/hard copies) applications will NOT be accepted.
- All not ordinarily resident applicants must have the required
work and residency permits to be
eligible for Consideration. A U.S. Citizen EFM
does not have to be residing in country to be
considered, but the sponsoring officer under
chief of mission (com) authority does
have to Be assigned officially to post.
- Due to the high volume of applications received, we will only
contact applicants who are being considered. Thank you for your
Application Deadline 22nd November, 2016.