7 Nov 2016
Job for a Psychologist at Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF)
MSF-Spain is currently recruiting to fill the following position for its operations in Yobe State.
Job Title: Psychologist
Salary: As per the MSF salary scale (national contract)
Movements (project visits):
According to MH programme planning, 100% travel inside Nigeria according to the IDP movement.
This is a local position in Damaturu and there will be no relocation benefit.
Scope of Responsibilities:
Purpose of the Position
- Perform the mental health and psychosocial (MHPS) consultations (individual, and if necessary group)
- Collaborate with the MHO towards quality implementation of MHPS activities in the project
Patient Care & Clinical supervision
- Provide individual and group mental health support for population at risk (adults and children, IDP or Hosted community): support coping process of the population and mobilize their inner resources for processing traumatic experiences and finding new life perspective
- If possible visit beneficiaries at home/tent/shelter in order to assess needs and follow up evolution when required.
- Ensure awareness to improve detection of mental health symptoms and signs, discussion of difficult cases, referrals etc
- To complete professional supervision record according to MSF standards.
- Maintain at all times a respectful attitude towards population, patients.
- To ensure the good flow of patients from Counsellors to psychiatrists (if necessary)
- Refer patients to other health professionals whenever necessary
- To make suggestions for improvement at mental health care units on regular basis.
- To be responsible for well-being and security of patients through all the activities.
- Assist in the trainings (initial and follow-up) of CMWs, peer counsellors and other staff members and resourceful people from the community.
- To work closely in collaboration with hierarchical superior to assess training needs.
- To assist in the preparation of handouts and materials and to implement objective methods of evaluation for these training modules.
- To undertake trainings sessions according to the needs and to the accessibility.
- Provide psycho-education or other psychosocial activities to the community, when required and if accessibility allows
- To implement training modules in accordance with MSF training manual.
- Participate in creation of any material needed for the MH activities.
- Look after all equipment provided.
- Ensure cleanliness of psychologists’ areas ( consultation office,…..)
- Enter info of the files of the patients into the data base (computer of MHO)
- Inform line manager of any problems that might be linked to work of psychologists as well as problematic equipment or material (ex. broken, missing).
- Ensure that confidentiality is maintained regarding all patient cases and records.
- Keep record and statistics of daily activities
- Fill in the forms of the patients
- Be aware of any document regarding detailed responsibilities of psychologists (ex. protocols, reports to be done).
- Actively participate in team meetings (planning and case management meetings) and possible trainings.
- Provide training to new members of the team and help them with the transition into the new role
- Familiarize his/herself with the internal regulations and guidelines of the office and follow these guidelines during work time.
- Accomplish any task that s/he is asked by his/her supervisor.
- To develop good working relationships with cultural mediators, peer counsellors, CMHWs and public/private sector mental health care unit staff.
Commitment to MSF
- Availability for emergencies
- General knowledge of MSF
- To have general understandings of the association, it’s functioning, structure and values (charter).
- To be aware of MSF charter, objectives and activities in general and in the working context.
- To participate actively in meetings and trainings.
- To be fully aware of sensitivity of the context in the mission.
- To be aware of security rules and situation in the field at all time.
- To be aware of activities of other departments and respect specific rules and procedures.
- To be aware of social and political situation and keeps information up-to-date.
- To pass on all relevant information related to MSF scope of action and context.
- To advise on various topics (culture, economy, politics, etc.).
- To translate documents and/or interprets conversation when necessary.
- University degree or equivalent in psychology – clinical or counselling psychology
- Not required
- Desirable: Experience in clinical psychology and working with patient
- R – English ; R- Houssa; R – Kanouri
- F – Fluent | B – Basic | R – Required | A – An asset
- Planning and organizational skills,
- People-centred Management skills,
- Communication skills,
- Negotiation skills
- Ability to work as an active member of a multi-cultural team
- Interpersonal skills,
- Having respectful attitude with multi-cultural flexibility or experience.
- Calm, patience, Confidentiality, strong sense of integrity, good stress management skills.
How to Apply
All potential job applicants should send their CV and motivation letter only by email to: email@example.com
Or in person at MSF office, Yakubu Bello House Damaturu Low Cost, Near Yobe Scholar Academy – New Jerusalem.
Application Deadline: 10th November, 2016.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
You can also join our interactive and interesting JobZilla BBM Channel by clicking C00299C49.