24 Nov 2016
Job in Nigeria at Oxfam for a Protection Team Leader
Oxfam is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Protection Team Leader
Location: Maiduguri, Nigeria. Plus travel to other field locations
Contract Type: 6-months, with possible extension
- Oxfam works with others to overcome poverty and suffering. As an Oxfam employee, you will join a team of professionals that is part of the international confederation of 17 organizations networked together in 94 countries. As part of a global movement for change, we are working together to end world poverty and injustice.
- The successful candidate will support the development and implementation of Oxfam’s humanitarian work by providing specialist advice and support on protection issues. This will include mainstreaming protection in the humanitarian response, supporting safe programming, and undertaking gender-sensitive community-level protection activities.
- The successful candidate will also assist with protection monitoring, information dissemination and referrals guided by Oxfam’s policies and guidelines.
- Support the Protection Coordinator in mainstreaming protection across Oxfam’s humanitarian response in North-east Nigeria.
- Provide specialist protection advice and support to Oxfam’s humanitarian response in North-east Nigeria, including engagement with armed non-state actors and ensuring independence and impartiality in providing services.
- Lead and supervise assessment teams during thematic surveys.
- Support protection-related research surveys in coordination with the Protection Coordinator and the Policy, Media, Advocacy and Campaigns Department.
- Support the Program Team to prepare written protection updates for Oxfam situation reports.
- Develop lines of communication with the PHE, PHP and EFSVL teams and contribute to a coordinated humanitarian response.
- Represent Oxfam with key protection actors such as ICRC, UNHCR, IOM, OCHA and actively participate in the Protection Cluster and relevant Areas of Responsibility.
- Liaise with logistic and procurement to ensure protection activities have the required resources in good time. Complete and keep records of the necessary paperwork.
- Produce gendered protection updates that will be included in field visit reports
- Contribute in Sitreps, monthly reports, donor reports and proposals.
- Support and coordinate with MEAL Officers and assistants for baseline survey, post-distribution and other monitoring activities.
- A minimum of 3 years involvement in humanitarian response work, preferably in field-based protection work in conflict or insecure environments;
- University degree at Masters level in a relevant discipline (law – including international law –, political science, social science, peace and conflict studies, or any other relevant education profile);
- Analytical skills and strategic thinking
- Strong understanding of gender-related aspects of protection work. Commitment to gender equity, diversity and equal opportunities
- Excellent written and verbal communication in English.
- Experience managing diverse staff/teams including in complex and challenging environments
- Strong conceptual and practical understanding of protection issues and specifically Oxfam’s approach to and role in protection work including advocacy;
- Understanding of the Protection Cluster and other protection coordination mechanisms and the roles and mandates of key protection actors
- Experience of capacity-building and training of colleagues and partners
- Very good interpersonal skills, particularly in networking, working with communities, local civil society and local authorities.
- Previous experience in using and adapting community-led approaches
- Experience in using participatory research and participatory assessment methodologies.
- Project management
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 5th December 2016.
You can also join our interactive and interesting JobZilla BBM Channel by clicking C00299C49.