Oxfam is an international confederation of 17 organizations (affiliates)
networked together in 94 countries, as part of a global movement for
change. Together we are working to achieve our vision of ‘a just world
without poverty’ and to be a powerful partner in global and local
communities of people connected for change.
Oxfam is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Protection Team Leader
Location: Maiduguri, Nigeria. Plus travel to other field locations
Contract Type: 6-months, with possible extension
- Oxfam works with others to overcome poverty and suffering. As an
Oxfam employee, you will join a team of professionals that is part of
the international confederation of 17 organizations networked together
in 94 countries. As part of a global movement for change, we are working
together to end world poverty and injustice.
- The successful candidate will support the development and
implementation of Oxfam’s humanitarian work by providing specialist
advice and support on protection issues. This will include mainstreaming
protection in the humanitarian response, supporting safe programming,
and undertaking gender-sensitive community-level protection activities.
- The successful candidate will also assist with protection
monitoring, information dissemination and referrals guided by Oxfam’s
policies and guidelines.
- Support the Protection Coordinator in mainstreaming protection across Oxfam’s humanitarian response in North-east Nigeria.
- Provide specialist protection advice and support to Oxfam’s
humanitarian response in North-east Nigeria, including engagement with
armed non-state actors and ensuring independence and impartiality in
- Lead and supervise assessment teams during thematic surveys.
Advocacy and Research:
- Support protection-related research surveys in coordination with
the Protection Coordinator and the Policy, Media, Advocacy and
- Support the Program Team to prepare written protection updates for Oxfam situation reports.
- Develop lines of communication with the PHE, PHP and EFSVL teams and contribute to a coordinated humanitarian response.
- Represent Oxfam with key protection actors such as ICRC, UNHCR,
IOM, OCHA and actively participate in the Protection Cluster and
relevant Areas of Responsibility.
- Liaise with logistic and procurement to ensure protection
activities have the required resources in good time. Complete and keep
records of the necessary paperwork.
Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEAL) and reporting:
- Produce gendered protection updates that will be included in field visit reports
- Contribute in Sitreps, monthly reports, donor reports and proposals.
- Support and coordinate with MEAL Officers and assistants for baseline survey, post-distribution and other monitoring activities.
Skills and Competence
- A minimum of 3 years involvement in humanitarian response work,
preferably in field-based protection work in conflict or insecure
- University degree at Masters level in a relevant discipline (law
– including international law –, political science, social science,
peace and conflict studies, or any other relevant education profile);
- Analytical skills and strategic thinking
- Strong understanding of gender-related aspects of protection
work. Commitment to gender equity, diversity and equal opportunities
- Excellent written and verbal communication in English.
- Experience managing diverse staff/teams including in complex and challenging environments
- Strong conceptual and practical understanding of protection
issues and specifically Oxfam’s approach to and role in protection work
- Understanding of the Protection Cluster and other protection
coordination mechanisms and the roles and mandates of key protection
- Experience of capacity-building and training of colleagues and partners
- Very good interpersonal skills, particularly in networking, working with communities, local civil society and local authorities.
- Previous experience in using and adapting community-led approaches
- Experience in using participatory research and participatory assessment methodologies.
- Project management
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 5th December 2016.