Mercy Corps Nigeria’s humanitarian program aims to provide assistance to
populations affected by the crisis in Northeast Nigeria. With funding
from humanitarian donors including OFDA, FFP, and ECHO the humanitarian
programs engage in several interventions including but not limited to
assistance, logistics and relief commodities, protection,
livelihoods, WASH and capacity building of humanitarian response actors.
Mercy Corps plans to scale up and expand its humanitarian response in
Northeast Nigeria to reach more beneficiaries with additional and varied
assistance in a wider geographic area. Mercy Corps plans to implement a
program in 2 states “ISING” or Investing in the safety and integrity of
Nigerian girls targeting adolescent girls and boys affected by the
conflict in the Northeast.
Mercy Corps Nigeria is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Program Officer (ISING)
Location: Biu – Borno
General Position Summary
- The project officer will be responsible for supporting activities in the intervention communities of ISING program.
- S/He will be responsible for supporting the implementation of strategic, impactful, and high-quality programming.
- The project officer will report to the Deputy Programme Manager
and work collaboratively with the Program Manager as well as fellow
- S/he will work extensively with other sectors to ensure that all program activities are implemented successfully and timely.
Essential Job Functions
Strategy & Vision:
- Recognize opportunities for innovative action and create an environment where alternative viewpoints are welcomed.
- Develop and organize activities to secure resources for programs and convince stakeholders to provide support.
- Support in project start-up and ongoing project management and
administration of activities including beneficiary identification,
distribution site selection, planning and implementing the
distributions, working with partners and facilitating
- Conduct monitoring and data collection as directed by the
Program Manager/Deputy, assisting with specific surveys or assessments
- Contribute to providing the Deputy Program Manager with
up-to-date information on the affected and targeted community and
coordinates beneficiary lists and numbers with different stakeholders.
- Adherence to all MC policies and procedures as outlined in MC policies and procedure manuals;
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in
such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize
its humanitarian mission in country of operation;
- Contribute to all fieldwork, including identifying beneficiaries
and vendors, participating in distributions, monitoring and supporting
beneficiaries during the shopping periods, coordinating with community
leaders and other stakeholders and other field-based tasks as assigned.
- Ensure effective beneficiary targeting according to established vulnerability criteria.
- Contribute to program reporting, monitoring and evaluation
systems for both internal and external use in coordination with the
other program staff.
- Integrate community approaches, gender sensitivity and capacity building into all activities as appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned.
Finance & Compliance Management:
- Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps regulations related to emergency programming.
- Responsible for expenditure tracking of activities carried out in the field
Influence & Representation:
- Identify, build and manage collaborative partnerships with the community, government and other stakeholder’s
- Communicate effectively to ensure overall project targets are met.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in
support of our understanding that learning organizations are more
effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we
expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning
activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts
toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to
international standards guiding international relief and development
work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners
in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- The officer will supervise a team of community coordinators and mentors
Knowledge and Experience
- Previous working experience with women and girls is required
- Knowledge of community participation approaches and conflict management skills
- Ability to manage community volunteers and effective conflict management skills
- Negotiation skills, especially while working with communities
- Ability to organize and prioritize work, as well as meeting strict timelines
- Experience in report writing is essential
- Experience working in an NGO is an added advantage
- Undergraduate degree in any Social Sciences, Education etc is preferred.
- Strong Work Ethic, having the ability to learn the most
efficient way of learning the most efficient way to complete tasks and
finding ways to save time while completing daily assignments.
Dependability and Responsibility, having the ability to come to work on
time, are there when they are supposed to be, and are responsible for
their actions and behavior. Adaptability, being adaptable and
maintaining flexibility in completing tasks in an ever-changing
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates are encouraged to submit their CV’s
and Cover Letters in one document, addressing the position requirements
- All applications must include the position title in the subject
line and not more than 4 pages. Only short-listed candidates will be
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and
outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a
professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies,
procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
- We are an equal opportunity organization and we strongly encourage women to apply for this position
Application Deadline 13th December, 2016.