The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) – For 70 years, UNICEF has
been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to
promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s
largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF
supports child health and
nutrition, good water and sanitation,
quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of
children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded
entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses,
foundations and governments.
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about
making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading
children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
UNICEF is recruiting to fill the job position below:
Job Title: Human Resources Officer, P-2
Job Number: 501404
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Work Type: Fixed Term Staff
Purpose of the Position
- Under the general supervision of the Human Resources Manager and
within the framework of organizational staff learning and development
policies, responsible for the formulation, implementation, monitoring
and evaluation of state-of- the-arts learning and training programmes
for UNICEF Nigerian staff. Support the staff in career coaching and
counselling in accordance with UNICEF guidelines.
Key Expected Results
- Based on the assessment of existing competencies as well as
identified learning/training needs in staff members’ PERs, assist in
designing and implementing innovative and focused staff development
strategies capable of delivering real performance gains to UNICEF
Nigeria within available budgets. Systematically and objectively
assesses staff and organizational learning/training needs based on
annual performance review and office priorities and in line with the
learning/training Policy thrust of UNICEF.
- Implement cost-effectively the approved range of courses by
mobilizing internal resources (including UNICEF e-learning courses)-
AGORA, for their execution with the thrust coming from the incumbent and
thereby reducing dependence on external consultants. Lead and manage
the interface between external training providers and UNICEF Nigeria,
ensuring that the training given meets staff needs and contributes to
the acquisition/development of competencies required for an effective
implementation of the Country Programme.
- In consultation with the Supervisor, the Chairperson of the
Learning and Staff Development committee (LSDC), the Chief of Operations
and Chiefs of Programme Sections, develop best practices in all aspects
of staff development, performance management and constantly evaluates
the effectiveness of training programmes to determine challenges and
areas of improvement. Assist in securing specialist advice, guidance to
line management on training and development and to ensure that learning
becomes an integral part of staff development.
- Develop appropriate relationships for staff development between
the Country Office and Zone/Field Offices that promotes
learning/training/coaching initiatives and would shape a learning
culture in UNICEF Nigeria.
- Contribute to providing or, at least securing, through internal
and external resources, guidance and coaching services to staff in work
related areas, career development, interpersonal relations and other
issues that could be of real interest and concern to staff.
- Keep and maintain up-to-date staff personal training history and
record for career planning purposes and administration. Provide
on-going updates to established training programs already in place.
- Review at the end of year the Office’s achievement with regard
to the annual learning/training plan and activities, highlighting
success, weaknesses and challenges; and draft a report including
recommendations for consideration in the preparation of the Annual
Management Plan, as well as submission to the regional office.
- Support Nigeria staff members in determining their career growth
through career coaching and counselling. Also provide coaching and
counselling to staff members in relation to their performance
- Prepare induction/orientation programmes for all new staff and
facilitate the implementation and monitoring of such programmes. Develop
learning/training programmes for existing employees to ensure that
staff are given appropriate training opportunities that contribute to
their professional development.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- University Degree in Human Resources Management, Business
Administration, Social Sciences or related field with specialized
training in Learning and staff development. Certification in coaching
and counselling with be an advantage.
- At least two (2) years of progressively responsible professional
work experience at the international level in managing and delivering
training and staff development programmes for multinational
- A good knowledge of Research on Training/Learning and Staff Development would be an asset.
- Fluency in English (both written and spoken) are required.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Communication [II]
- Drive for Result [I]
- Working With People [II]
- Analyzing [I]
- Planning and Organizing [I]
- Relating and Networking [I]
- Applying Technical Expertise [II]
- Following Instructions and Procedures [II]
- The successful candidate for this emergency recruitment MUST be available to commence work within 31 days of receiving an offer.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 30th November, 2016.