The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) – For 70 years, UNICEF has
been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote
children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest
provider of vaccines for developing countries,
UNICEF supports child
health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education
for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence,
exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary
contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about
making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading
children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
UNICEF is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: TA State Data Specialist, P-3 (364 days)
Job Number: 501069
Work Type: Temporary Appointment
Purpose of the Position
- Under the direct supervision of the Zonal C4D/Polio Specialist,
the Borno State Data Specialist is responsible for leading and
coordinating the formulation, planning, design, and implementation of
the monitoring, evaluation and research plan of the polio communication
programme and providing leadership within the State Polio Emergency
Operations Centre situation analysis group.
- The Data Specialist will work closely with the State Emergency
Operations Centre communication group and Situation Analysis working
groups, UNICEF polio communication section and immunization teams to
strengthen areas related to immunization and social data utilization and
application with the aim to strengthen routine immunization and
eradicate polio in Nigeria.
- The Borno State Data Specialist will work under the overall
supervision of the Zonal C4D/Polio Specialist (Maiduguri) and under the
functional guidance of Polio Data Communication Specialist (Abuja),
accountable for supporting social data analysis and in particular to
strengthen areas related to immunization & social data utilization
and application with the aim to strengthen routine immunization and
eradicate polio in Nigeria within the country programme and linked to
the Emergency Operation Centre working group priorities.
- The incumbent will support the management of the VCM network
datasets and undertake weekly analysis of the data to inform planning
and key reporting documents.
- The Data Specialist will be expected to travel within the State
(to assigned states, if required), to conduct regular data quality
audits, to support and review functional status of phones (reporting
devices) and to provide on-sight support in keeping the VCM registers
and reporting tools
- Interact with the state Emergency Operation Centre and state
communication working group, WHO Data Officers, STOP Teams, SIA Teams,
and UNICEF’s Social Mobilization consultants/personnel for in-depth
collection and analysis of polio and routine immunization data.
- Working closely with State Communications Team Lead, the Data
Specialist to support the state EOC in data collation, analysis and
preparation of regular presentations, that could include, efficient
collection and analysis of routine polio pre-campaign and campaign
performance data; preparation and support in delivery of routine Polio
EOC dashboard and other required reports; Preparation and delivery of
specific analyses and reports requested by the State EOC and its
strategy, operations and communications committees as required.
- Link social mobilization and EPI data with the presence of WPV/CVDPV cases.
- Provide regular information, data, and specific analyses/reports to the National data team
- Identifying data related capacity needs and facilitate training of the state team.
- Support implementation and oversight of research activities, for
example, Harvard Polling, periodic studies etc., and take advantage of
the findings of these studies to refine the social data analysis for the
- Manage smartphone reporting, trouble shooting, download data and
conduct periodic data analysis including fortnightly/monthly
performance management data, Activity performance monitoring data, polio
campaign data, in-between round activity data, routine immunization
- Conduct quality checks on the data, perform analysis of
implementation progress across different initiatives (by pulling reports
and analyzing trends and progress made), support in designing
decision-making tools for State Communications Team Lead/EOC (using the
database and platform to create data visualizations), and maintaining
communication of achievement (or lack thereof) with the Senior Staff.
- Conduct regular field based data quality reviews, guide field teams in maintaining data registers and compilation registers
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- Advanced university degree in the Statistics, Biostatistics,
Public Health, and Demography emphasis on strategic communication
planning for behaviour development, social mobilization, participatory
communication, and research. Knowledge of GIS software, e.g. Health
Mapper, ARC View.
- Minimum five years of progressive work experience in data
management, monitoring, and evaluation activities in developing
countries, with practical experience in data supervision, performance
management skills/experience, skills in handling large datasets.
- Fluency in English Knowledge of local working language of the duty station an asset.
- First university degree with additional two-years of relevant
work experience is acceptable in lieu of an advanced university degree.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 17th November, 2016.