Oxfam is a leading International NGO working to end poverty and
injustice. We work directly with communities and we seek to influence
the powerful to ensure that poor people can improve their lives and
livelihoods and have a say in decisions that affect them. Our
humanitarian, development and
campaigning projects change lives around
the world. It is an exciting time to join Oxfam, as it commences its
transition to One Oxfam, merging affiliates and activities in country to
provide a fully integrated programme.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Security Advisor/ Coordinator
Req ID: 1181
Location: Maiduguri, Occasional travel to Country Office in Abuja.
Job Family: Security
Salary Level: C1
- To work with others to overcome poverty, stress and suffering.
- To ensure Oxfam has the management, technical and logistical
capacity to scale up and to respond rapidly to major humanitarian
emergencies and development anywhere in the world.
- To serve as an advisor to the Country Director on safety and
security related issues. Ensuring that country Security Management Plan
as well as Standard Operating procedures is developed, implemented,
monitored and reviewed regularly; Support and help the in country Safety
and Security Coordinator with the day to day management of safety and
security for Oxfam in Nigeria.
- Post holder reports to: Program Manager North East / Country Director.
- Safety and Security budget and all costs related to guards and other security related functions or work
- The position is based on the need to build and sustain long-term
safety and security risk reduction capacity within the Oxfam’s
programmes in NE Nigeria.
- Reports, analyses and communicates current socio-political
context and the security situation and the wider context (country,
region, global trends as applicable).
- Advise on up-to-date context analysis and risk assessment.
- Undertakes regular and ad hoc security assessment missions as
necessary, in order to gather information and to analyse the overall
security situation in existing and potential areas of Oxfam
- Conducts ongoing threat assessments and compile s daily/weekly
situation reports/monthly security analysis and ensures that the
information is shared on a timely manner.
- Develops an incident reporting system and ensuring that the incident register is updated regularly.
Security Management and Support:
- Design/update reliable safety and Security Management System/Standard Operating Plans/Contingency Plans
- Manages the implementation of a comprehensive security and
business continuity management system taking cognisance of the evolution
- Ensures that all safety and security management systems are in line with existing Oxfam security policy, protocol and approach.
- Supports the Program Manager, Country Director and Security Officer to determine and address security issues as they arise
- Supports on incident management, lessons learnt and any follow up actions/ changes to procedures.
- Supports in the case of crisis management (support to the Crisis Management Team).
- As the security expert in the Region, provides strategic and operation leadership in the management of security.
- Provides crisis management support (evacuation and hibernation) as required.
- Supports in planning and implementing risks mitigation
strategies (acceptance, deterrence, protection) in order to improve
safety and security.
- Ensures that appropriate safety and security systems are in
place to provide timely and accurate security information to all staff
members and visitors.
- Review induction documents with respect to security; identifies
organisational training safety and security training needs and
coordinates required trainings for staff, security officers and third
party security personnel’s.
- Ensures that there is system in place to enhance security skills
and awareness that are required for effectiveness especially in areas
of accident prevention, safety, health and occupational hazards by
planning and facilitate appropriate learning and development
- Assists and leads security and emergency related training.
- Facilitates / provides learning & development as well as
exchange experiences at all levels. Identifying staff security training,
learning and development needs and ensuring access to the training
across the region (including appropriate planning and resourcing).
- Builds and maintains close contacts with all relevant
stakeholders to gather reliable security information, facilitate the
sharing of best practices and the adoption of an integrated approach
- Attends security & emergency related briefings and meetings and share security related information accordingly.
- Interfaces with, and coordinates the support of, third party security and risk management service providers.
- Collaborates with Field Office and Field Operations teams to determine and address security issues in the field as they arise;
Educational Qualification and Experience
- University degree in in Social Sciences, International Relations, Political Science or related discipline.
- At least 5 years’ INGO/UN safety and risks management experience
and proven leadership experience of security assessment, planning and
implementation of procedures in the context of UN or NGO humanitarian
- Experience in humanitarian operations, preferably within the
field of information management as related to security management and
- Proven experience of capacity building and field based trainings
- Familiarity with operational and security practices for high threat environments.
- Experience in liaising with communities, civilians, police
and/or military government authorities as well as with regional
Skills and Competencies:
- Proven practical experience of security management in a complex, conflict, humanitarian context.
- Proven influencing and negotiating skills with internal and external audiences including in complex and stressful circumstances.
- Ability to advice and support in a consultative manner.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, together with
the capacity to remain calm under pressure and not lose sight of
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with ability to work
in a systematic and organized manner with good attention to accuracy and
- Ability to maintain discretion and confidentiality of privileged and sensitive information.
- A sound understanding of the importance of gender.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and the ability to work with
a diverse set of staff at different levels within the organisation
- Strong report writing, analytical skills with good usage of computers and office software packages (Ms. Word, Excel, etc.)
- Willingness to travel at short notice, and often in difficult circumstances.
Key Behavioural Competencies for the Present Position
Based on Oxfam’s Leadership Model:
- Decisiveness: We are comfortable to make transparent decisions and to adapt decision making modes to the context and needs.
- Influencing: We have the ability to engage with diverse
stakeholders in a way that leads to increased impact for the
organization We spot opportunities to influence effectively and where
there are no opportunities we have the ability to create them in a
respectful and impactful manner.
- Relationship Building: We understand the importance of building
relationship, within and outside the organization. We have the ability
to engage with traditional and non-traditional stakeholders in ways that
lead to increased impact for the organisation.
- Mutual Accountability: We can explain our decisions and how we
have taken them based on our organizational values. We are ready to be
held to account for what we do and how we behave, as we are also holding
others to account in a consistent manner.
- Agility, Complexity, and Ambiguity: We scan the environment,
anticipate changes, are comfortable with lack of clarity and deal with a
large number of elements interacting in diverse and unpredictable ways.
- Systems Thinking: We view problems as parts of an overall system
and in their relation to the whole system, rather than reacting to a
specific part, outcome or event in isolation. We focus on cyclical
rather than linear cause and effect. By consistently practicing systems
thinking we are aware of and manage well unintended consequences of
organisational decisions and actions.
- Strategic Thinking and Judgment: We use judgment, weighing risk
against the imperative to act. We make decisions consistent with
organizational strategies and values.
What We Offer
- Oxfam Novib is committed to providing you with a competitive,
fair and comprehensive pay and benefits package that is justifiable to
- Applicants for this contract must be nationals of an European
Union Member State or have a valid work permit for the European Union.
- We don’t process applications we receive by email.
- This job profile is not incorporated in the employment
contract. It is intended as a guide and should not be viewed as an
inflexible specification as it may be varied from time to time in the
light of strategic developments and following discussion with the post
- The post holder will be expected to work to agreed objectives
which should facilitate achievement of the responsibilities in
accordance with the performance review process
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline: 22nd March, 2017.