17 May 2017
How to Convert Your CV from Microsoft Word to PDF
errors from cropping up due to word-processor incompatibilities, making PDFs a must for official documents like resumes and important letters.
Portable Document Format (PDF) preserves document formatting and enables file sharing.
When the PDF format file is viewed online or printed, it retains the format that you intended. The PDF format is also useful for documents that will be reproduced using commercial printing methods. PDF is accepted as a valid format by many agencies and organizations.
Use PDF format when you want a file that:
Looks the same on most computers.
Has a smaller file size.
Complies with an industry format.
Below is a step-by-step guide on how to convert a Microsoft Word document (your CV for instance) to PDF format.
For Microsoft Word 2010, 2013 and 2016:
- On your document File menu, click Export or Save As then click Create PDF/XPS.
- If the properties of your Word document contains information that you do not want included in the PDF, in the Publish as PDF or XPS window, choose Options. Then select Document and clear Document properties. Set any other options you want and choose OK.
- In Publish as PDF or XPS, navigate to where you want to save the file. Also, modify the file name if you want a different name.
- Click Publish.
For Microsoft Word 2007:
- Open the file you wish to save.
- Click the "File" button in the top left-hand corner of Word.
- Go to Save As > PDF or XPS.
- If the above option is not available to you, you'll only see an option that reads "Find add-ins for other file formats". Don't worry, just go here to download Microsoft's free PDF and XPS converter. Note that this will only work for Windows;
- After downloading and installing this necessary add-in. Go back to step 3 above.
- Type in the desired file name and adjust settings as necessary. Choose Minimum Size if you wish to reduce the size and quality.
- Hit Save. This will convert your document and open it in Adobe Reader (if you have it installed).
- Adobe reader is a software that enables you to read PDF files. If you don't already have it. Download it here.
If you use an Android phone, you can also open Google Play Store and search for apps like Word To PDF, easyPDF, Kingsoft Office etc. These are really cool and easy-to-use apps.
I hope you find this helpful.
You can also join our interactive and interesting JobZilla BBM Channel by clicking C00299C49.