Jhpiego is an international non-profit health organization affiliated
with The Johns Hopkins University. For 40 years and in over 150
countries, Jhpiego has worked to prevent the needless deaths of women
and their families. Jhpiego works with health experts, governments and
to provide high-quality health care for their people.
Jhpiego is recruiting on behalf of Maternal Child Survival Program (MCSP) to fill the position below:
Job Title: Adolescent Sexual & Reproductive Health (ASRH) Research Assistant
Location: Akure, Sokoto, Cross River, Bauchi
Reporting to: State ASRH Study Coordinators
Number of Slots: 10
Duration of Contract: 30 Consecutive Days (1 month)
- Maternal Child Survival Program (MCSP), a global USAID – funded
project with the purpose of Ending Preventable Cause of Death (EPCD),
will conduct an Adolescent Sexual and Reproductive Health (ASRH) study
in Ondo Nigeria.
- We will conduct a qualitative, cross – sectional, descriptive
study using focus group discussions (FGDs) and in-depth interviews
- We are looking for highly motivated, multitasking and
experienced individuals to work as Research Assistants (RAs) in Ondo
- This is essentially a formative research to understand the
sexual and reproductive health (SRH) needs of adolescent mothers in the
state and the gaps in the current system.
- Attend 5 days training on ASRH study data collection and use of audio- recorders
- Support the Research study team in orienting and training youth
groups and other stakeholders (CHEWs or CHWs in the community on how to
recruit volunteers in a non-pressuring or coercive way using the voucher
- Participates in recruitment of adolescents through respondent – driven sampling and a voucher system.
- Conduct selection and screening of recruited participants using
specified selection criteria and obtaining consent from selected
- Obtain and submit initial screening information from participants to the research team
- Create consent logs and group cohort logs; share group cohort
logs with providers; update State ASRH Study Coordinator weekly with
- Track study subjects to participate in group discussions at
appropriate times; record if subjects move out of study area and/or are
lost to follow up
- Arrange meeting time and place in consultation with health facility managers
- Support Focused group discussion in their respective areas as requested by the research team
- Ensure safe custody of equipment issued for the study
- Keep accurate records of consent forms and other study related documents.
- Advise the research team on any ethical issues that may arise during the period of engagement in the study
- Conduct qualitative data collection (FGDs and lDls) to all consented study subjects at the time of consent
- With the State ASRH Study Coordinator, set targets and work out timesheet of activities conducted.
- Write and submit a weekly report of activities conducted to the State ASRH Study Coordinator
- A Degree in Sociology, Health Sciences Research or
Biostatistics, Nursing, Public Health is desirable. Master in Public
Health, Biostatistics or Sociology is an added advantage
- Experience in qualitative research methods and publication track record are desirable
- Excellent spoken and written Yoruba are desirable
- Sensitivity to sociocultural and religious differences is expected
- Ability to muititask and meet deadlines at short notice
- Excellent report writing skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are critical
- Good spoken and written English
- Competence with data analysis software including Atlas.ti is desirable
- For further information about Jhpiego, please visit our website at: www.jhpiego.org
- Only shortlisted candidates will receive an invitation for an interview.
- Please note that any successful candidate will be subject to a pre-employment background investigation.
- JHU is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their application letter and CV’s as One Single word document to: firstname.lastname@example.org the title/subject of your email and application should be the position applied for.
Application Deadline: 1st June, 2017.