British Red Cross, We are part of a global
voluntary network, responding to conflicts, natural disasters and
individual emergencies. We help vulnerable people in the UK and abroad
prepare for, withstand and recover from emergencies in their own
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Urban Livelihoods Specialist – Economic Security (EcoSec) Delegate
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
- British Red Cross is currently looking for an experienced
humanitarian project manager with a background in livelihoods and cash
transfer programming, specifically in urban contexts to work within the
International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) in Nigeria.
- The delegate will be seconded to the ICRC to undertake a needs
assessment of urban populations in the cities of Maiduguri (Borno State
in the North East of Nigeria) and Port Harcourt (Rivers State, South
East of Nigeria).
- The review will also explore the possibility of and suitability
of cash based assistance in livelihoods programmes for urban
populations. The delegate will also design such activities where they
are identified as feasible.
- Additionally the delegate will be in charge of training and
coaching the Nigerian Red Cross Society teams in the branches involved
in the delivery of livelihood programmes to ensure that they acquire the
- This is an exciting opportunity to be part of the Red Cross Red
Crescent Movement and to contribute to building its expertise in
livelihoods and cash based assistance. This position offers the
opportunity to work on a project developed in collaboration with the
ICRC and the British Red Cross. This role will entail community facing
activities and visits in urban contexts, and will therefore require a
high sensitivity to gender and protection related matters.
- The main purpose of the role is to conduct a comprehensive
review on the impact of conflict and other situations of violence in
urban contexts in Nigeria and to provide recommendations to improve the
relevance and quality of ICRC’s livelihoods strategies and projects. The
successful candidate will have experience in conducting baseline
studies and field surveys.
- This role will be based in the Abuja with extensive field travel
(75%) to the two urban contexts selected: Maiduguri and Port Harcourt.
While in Maiduguri and Port Harcourt, the delegate will be staying in
the ICRC sub-delegations. The contract will be a 6 months assignment.
Key Experiences and Skills Required
- Experience in humanitarian project management in urban contexts
- Very good technical skills in livelihoods and solid understanding of livelihoods framework
- Cash based assistance skills or experience working on livelihoods programmes delivered through cash
- Previous experience in conflict-affected contexts required
- Previous experience living and working in sub-saharan Africa
- Education degree in Economics, Business Administration or similar
- Knowledge of the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement an asset
- Experience of delivering trainings an asset
- Experience in conducting baseline surveys, field assessment and evaluation a major advantage
- Fluent English language skills mandatory.
- Working knowledge of local Nigerian languages would be an asset
- Willingness to work with flexible hours during field travel and in hazardous security environments
ICRC Operational & Field Constraints:
- In line with the principle of neutrality, the ICRC does not
assign personnel to a country of which they are nationals – Please
indicate which passports you hold in your supporting statement.
- Candidates must be in good health and will have to do a medical check-up prior to departure in the field
- Candidates must possess a driving license (for manual transmission vehicles)
£30,056 per annum
Commencing 5th June, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline: 1st June, 2017.