Job Title: Chief Content Officer
Nature of Role: Permanent
Organizational Relationships: Chief Executive Officer/Chief Operating
Officer (smaller enterprise) or Chief Marketing Officer/VP of Marketing
- The Chief Content Officer (CCO) oversees all marketing content
initiatives, both internal and external, across multiple platforms and
formats to drive sales, engagement, retention, leads and positive
- This individual should be an expert in all things related to
content and channel optimization, brand consistency, segmentation and
localization, analytics and meaningful measurement.
- The position collaborates with the departments of public
relations, communications, marketing, customer service, IT and human
resources to help define both the brand story and the story as
interpreted by the customer.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensuring all content is on-brand, consistent in terms of style,
quality and tone of voice, and optimized for search and user experience
for all channels of content including online, social media, email,
point of purchase, mobile, video, print and in-person. This is to be
done for each buyer persona within the enterprise.
- Mapping out a content strategy that supports and extends
marketing initiatives, both short- and long-term, determining which
methods work for the brand and why. Continuous evolvement of strategy
is a must.
- Conducting ongoing usability tests to gauge content effectiveness.
- Gathering data and handle analytics (or supervise those who do) and make recommendations based on those results.
- Working with owners of content to revise and measure content and marketing goals.
- Developing standards, systems and best practices (both human and
technological) for content creation, distribution, maintenance,
content retrieval and content repurposing, including the real-time
implementation of content strategies.
- Leveraging market data to develop content themes/topics and
execute a plan to develop the assets that support a point of view and
educate customers that leads to critical behavioral metrics.
- Establishing work flow for requesting, creating, editing, publishing, and retiring content.
- Working with technical team to implement appropriate CMS.
- Conducting periodic competitive audits.
- The development of a functional content calendar throughout the
enterprise verticals, and defining the owners in each vertical to
- Supervising writers, editors, content strategists; be an arbiter of best practices in grammar, messaging, writing, and style.
- Integration of content activities within traditional marketing campaigns.
- Supervising the maintenance of content inventories and matrices.
- Ensuring consistent global experience and implement appropriate localization/translation strategies.
- Participation in the hiring and supervising of content/story leaders in all content verticals.
- Creation of a strategy for developing SMS/MMS outreach and advertising, apps, etc. as needed.
- Work closely with company’s Chief Design Officer on all creative
and branding initiatives to ensure a consistent message across
Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Public Relations or related communications field. MBA in marketing a plus.
- 10-15 years of experience as a respected leader in multichannel content creation (publishing, journalism, etc).
- Experience with creating compelling messages for different target demographics. Crisis communications experience a plus.
- Expertise in all major business software applications (Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office, etc.).
- HR-related experience including hiring, managing, performance reviews, compensation packages, etc. required.
- Proven editorial skills.
- Outstanding command of the English (or primary customer) language.
- Training as a print or broadcast journalist and has a “nose” for the story.
- Training in how to tell a story using words, images, or audio,
and an understanding of how to create content that draws an audience (it
is critical that the CCO retain an “outsider’s perspective” much like
that of a journalist.)
- Ability to work in a 24-hour project cycle-utilizing teams or contractors in other countries.
- Familiarity with principles of marketing (and the ability to adapt or ignore them as dictated by data).
- Excellent negotiator and mediator.
- Incredible people skills.
- Basic technical understanding of HTML, XHTML, CSS, Java, web publishing, Flash, etc.
- Fluency in web analytics tools (Adobe Omniture, Google
Analytics), social media marketing applications (Hootsuite, Tweet deck,
etc.) and leading social media monitoring platforms (Radian6, etc.).
- A willingness to embrace change and to adapt strategies on the fly.
- Great powers of persuasion and presentation (Visio, PowerPoint).
- Experience creating a resource or library of content organized indicating SEO, translations and version control.
- Needs to be continually learning the latest platforms, technology tools and marketing solutions through partnerships.
- The ability to lead and inspire large teams of creative personnel and content creators to achieve company’s stated goals.
- Skill at both long-form content creation and real-time (immediate) content creation and distribution strategies and tactics.
- The ability to think like an educator, intuitively understanding
what the audience needs to know and how they want to consume it.
- A passion for new technology tools (aka, using the tools you
preach about) and usage of those tools within your own blogs and social
media outreach. Social DNA a plus!
- Clear articulation of the business goal behind the creation of a piece (or series) of content.
- Leadership skills required to define and manage a set of goals involving diverse contributors and content types.
- Project management skills to manage editorial schedules and deadlines within corporate and ongoing campaigns.
- Must be able to screen out sales pitches and look for the relevant brand and customer story.
- Must be comfortable with acting as the company’s spokesman and
advocate via media appearances, interviews, sales calls, trade shows,
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV’s to: email@example.com
Application Deadline: 6th June, 2017