ActionAid is an anti-poverty agency that prioritises works with the
poor and excluded; promoting values and commitment in civil society,
institutions and governments with the aim of achieving structural
changes in order to eradicate injustices and poverty in the world.
ActionAid Nigeria is an
affiliate of ActionAid International, an
International Non-Governmental organisation registered in The
Netherlands with its headquarters in Johannesburg South Africa.
ActionAid International works in more than 40 countries in Africa, Asia,
Europe and the Americas.
We are inviting applications from qualified candidates to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Advisor, Migration
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Reporting to: Manager, Human Security in Conflict and Emergencies (HSCE)
Line Management: None
- The Programme Advisor will coordinate the implementation and
effective monitoring of the migration project in Edo and Borno States.
- S/he will provide programme specific support to the various
livelihood and conflict initiatives of the project and work as an
interface between ActionAid Nigeria and the project implementing
- Assist in the development of, and be responsible for the effective monitoring of Project Objectives and Its implementation.
- Develop systems and manage the process of timely project and
other reporting, including following up of internal and external reports
and ensuring compliance with Terms of Reference and consultancies.
- Develop and facilitate migration content development & media relations including social media.
- Maintain positive external relationships with the relevant donors
- Ensure the annual, monthly and quarterly work plans are developed in accordance with ongoing activities and plans for the year.
- Monitor progress and ensure timely implementation of planned
activities, especially those that feed into the work of other staff and
- Facilitate sensitization, mobilisation and advocacy campaigns from the National, State and Local levels.
- Develop and support research methodologies, baselines and end lines on the project.
- Contribute to the wider development of Migration policy &
practices; and lead relationships on these issues with other
organisations in the sector.
- Work with the Project Accountant and HSCE Manager for financial planning, monitoring and review of Migration project work.
- Actively take part in the overall policy, programme, procedure and strategy development of AAN in general.
- Facilitate and support relevant capacity needs as identified from Migration project.
- Ensure the implementation of AAN methodologies at the community and states’ level
- Support beneficiaries with capacity building on income generation and conflict management while linking them with duty bearers.
- Support community visits of partner organisations, donor and partners on the project
- Support system strengthening of partner organisational development
- Develop and support reintegration processes for survivals of insurgency
- Provide mentoring support to groups and partner organisations on conflict and livelihood
- Facilitate the setting up of community structures to ensure
value for money of physical projects in communities by setting up or
strengthening relevant community management structures and ensure their
sustainability in very close collaboration with partners
- Develop training modules and facilitate trainings of groups and
co-operatives on conflict prevention and management, irregular
migration, participatory vulnerability analysis, early warning systems
resilience, access to credits and farming techniques
Communication and Reporting:
- Managing external communications including handling queries and issues on a timely and appropriate basis.
- Set up effective communication mechanisms from community to AAN;
other partners or other relevant stakeholders including security
agents and other MDAs.
- Review partners’ reports and ensure compliance to required formats and timelines
- Work with relevant units to ensure implementation of planned activities
- Ensure adequate and effective documentation of all reports within the unit
- Ensure partner organisations/Associations have a formal internal communication channels in place
- Facilitate communication between partner organisations and units within AAN
- Monitor and support partners to develop financial and accountability systems
- Support partner organisations/Associations in developing periodic/annual plans and budgets
- Review, process and monitor partner organisations’ grants
- Facilitate the financial processes for service providers engaged by the unit
- Actively participate in developing budgets for the migration project in accordance with AA financial guidelines.
- Participate in, or lead where necessary, any programme,
procedure or strategy to enhance the goal and objectives of AAN Human
Security & Food and Agriculture projects.
- Actively take part in the overall policy, programme, procedures and strategy development of AAN in general.
- Assume any other responsibilities relevant to the position as assigned by line manager
- Active engagement in community mobilization and programming and movement building:
- Internal Relationships: AAN team.
- External Relationships: Partners, Donors, CSOs and relevant government agencies.
- First degree in Social sciences or Arts/Humanities is essential.
- Master’s degree in relevant field is desirable.
- At least four (4) years post NYSC experience, three of which must be in a similar position in the development sector
- Experience in community mobilization is essential
- Experience working on migration and livelihood issues is essential
- Experience working on a conflict project and intervening at community levels is desirable
- Experience working with youth, women groups and persons with disabilities is desirable.
- Strong communication and writing skills is essential
- Ability to implement data management systems is essential
- Excellent planning and prioritization skills is essential
- Excellent (proven) interpersonal skills is essential
- Active presence on social media is essential
- Excellent analytical skills is essential
- Team player, a person of integrity, creative and takes initiative,
- Able to work effectively in a diverse team environment
- Willing to work additional hours at crucial times.
- A self motivated person able to work without close supervision
- Only Electronically submitted forms will be considered. Scanned application forms will be disregarded.
- Subject line of emails must state clearly the title of position
applied and location for e.g. Programme Advisor, Migration – Borno.
- While we respect all applicants, Interview date will be communicated only to shortlisted candidates.
- ActionAid offers competitive terms of employment.
- Applications from women are particularly encouraged.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Cover letter &
Curriculum Vitae in one document and MSWord attachment to: Jobopenings.email@example.com
Application Deadline: 14th June, 2017.