Marriott International is the world’s largest hotel company based in Bethesda, Maryland, USA, with more than 6,000 properties in 122 countries and reported revenues of nearly $14 billion in fiscal year 2015. Its heritage can be traced to a root beer stand opened in Washington, D.C., in 1927 by J. Willard and Alice S. Marriott.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Director of Finance
Employment type: Full-time
- Functions as the property’s strategic financial business leader. The position champions, develops and implements property-wide strategies that deliver products and services to meet or exceed the needs and expectations of the brand’s target customer and property employees.
- The position provides the financial expertise to enable the successful implementation of the brand service strategy and brand initiatives while maximizing the return on investment. In addition, creates and executes a business plan that is aligned with the property and brand’s business strategy and focuses on the execution of financial activities and the delivery of desirable financial results.
Core Work Activities
Engaging in Strategic Planning and Decision Making:
- Develops means to improve profit, including estimating cost and benefit, exploring new business opportunities, etc.
- Analyzes information, forecasts sales against expenses and creates annual budget plans.
- Compiles information, analyzes and monitors actual sales against projected sales.
- Analyzes differences between actual budget wages and forecasted wages for more efficient budget planning.
- Provides analytical support during budget reviews to identify cost saving and productivity opportunities for property managers.
- Implements a system of appropriate controls to manage business risks.
- Ensures a strong accounting and operational control environment to safeguard assets, improve operations and profitability.
- Analyzes financial data and market trends.
- Leads the development and implementation of a comprehensive
annual business plan which is aligned with the company’s and brand’s
- Provides on going analytical support by monitoring the operating department’s actual and projected sales.
- Identifies the underlying principles, reasons, or facts of information by breaking down information or data into separate parts.
- Thinks creatively and practically to develop, execute and implement new business plans
- Creates the annual operating budget for the property.
- Produces accurate forecasts that enable operations to react to changes in the business.
Leading Finance Teams:
- Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead,
influence, and encourage others; advocates sound financial/business
decision making; demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example.
- Oversees internal, external and regulatory audit processes.
- Provides excellent leadership by assigning team members and
other departments managers’ clear accountability backed by appropriate
- Conducts annual performance appraisals with direct reports according to standard operating procedures.
- Communicates the strategic goals, the focus and the owner priorities to subordinates in a clear and precise manner.
- Leverages strong functional leadership and communication skills
to influence the executive team, the property’s strategies and to lead
Anticipating and Delivering on the Needs of Key Stakeholders:
- Attends meetings and communicating with the owners, understanding the priorities and strategic focus.
- Understands and meets the needs of key stakeholders (owners, corporate, guests, etc.).
- Demonstrates an understanding of cash flow and owner priorities.
- Manages communication with owners in an effective manner.
- Manages property working capital and cash flow in accordance with brand standard operating procedures and owner requirements.
- Advises the GM and executive committee on existing and evolving operating/financial issues.
- Communicates financial concepts in a clear and persuasive manner that is easy to understand and drives desired behaviors.
- Facilitates critique meetings to review information with management team.
Developing and Maintaining Finance Goals:
- Ensures Profits and Losses are documented accurately.
- Develops and supports achievement of performance goals, budget goals, team goals, etc.
- Improves profit growth in operating departments.
- Reviews audit issues to ensure accuracy.
- Monitor the purchasing process as applicable.
- Monitors all taxes that apply, ensuring that taxes are current, collected and/or accrued.
- Submits reports in a timely manner, ensuring delivery deadlines.
Managing Projects and Policies:
- Generates and provides accurate and timely results in the form of reports, presentations, etc.
- Reconciles balance sheet to ensure account balances are supported by appropriate documentation in accordance with standard operating procedures.
- Ensures compliance with management contract and reporting requirements.
- Ensures compliance with standard and local operating procedures.
- Ensures compliance with standard operating procedures.
- Ensures that the P&L is accurate (e.g., costs are properly matched to revenue, costs are recorded in the proper accounts).
Managing and Conducting Human Resource Activities:
- Ensures team members are cross-trained to support successful daily operations.
- Ensures property policies are administered fairly and consistently.
- Ensures new hires receive the appropriate new hire training to successfully perform their job.
- Creates appropriate development plans which develop team members
based on their individual strengths, development needs, career
aspirations and abilities.
- Conduct performance review process for employees.
- Participates in hiring activities as appropriate.
- Ensures new hires participate in the department’s orientation program.
Education And Experience
- 4-year bachelor’s degree in Finance and Accounting or related major; 3 years experience in the finance and accounting or related professional area, or
- Master’s degree in Finance and Accounting or related major; 1 year experience in the finance and accounting or related professional area.
- Only Local (Nigerian) Nationals may apply.
- Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply