Stanbic IBTC Bank is a leading African banking group focused on emerging markets globally. It has been a mainstay of South Africa’s financial system for 150 years, and now spans 16 countries across the African continent.
Standard Bank is a firm believer in technical innovation, to help us guarantee exceptional client service and leading edge financial solutions. Our growing global success reflects our commitment to the latest solutions, the best people, and a uniquely flexible and vibrant working culture. To help us drive our success into the future, we are looking for resourceful individuals to join our dedicated team at our offices.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Country Risk Analyst – West Africa
Job ID: 24626
Location: Lagos Island
Job Sector: Banking
- Governance and Assurance: specialist advice about, and oversight of, the processes, laws and regulations governing our business, predominantly for directors, chief executives and executive committees.
- Initiate country-specific research, assess and establish an informed risk view on markets and sovereigns with which the Group conducts or intends to conduct business with across the West Africa Region, working across organizational lines to synthesize information leading to the provision of risk assessments that can be used to support rating decisions across multiple dimensions
Sovereign and Country Risk Assessment:
- Undertake forward looking analysis and ongoing monitoring of countries within the West Africa region and sovereign credit portfolio based on financial and non- financial measures.
- Liaise/Engage with relevant departments and external stakeholders to synthesize the information required for assessments of country, sector and industry risk.
- Compile key macroeconomic data and analyse macroeconomic and industry trends relevant to country and sovereign credit risk assessment.
- Assess, monitor and risk rate markets and sovereigns the Group conducts or intends to conduct business with.
Policy and Systems:
- Participate in the development, implementation and maintenance of best practice policies, methodologies, and systems for identification, measurement, mitigation, and management of the risk within Stanbic.
- Meet with and interview high profile representatives of government, statutory organisations and national and supra national agencies.
- Support the interaction with international rating agencies
- Involvement in other projects ranging from model formulation to system development
- Provide ad hoc country research ranging from flash updates to deep drill analysis of key issues.
- Provide a risk view and strategic insight on a specified country cross-border portfolio and its future composition (including business strategy).
- Leverage experience and expertise on country risk profiles to assess transactions and guide business teams with deal structuring and risk management measures.
- Compilation of country risk rating review reports and – through analysing countries along political, economic and institutional lines – formulation of sovereign and country risk rating recommendations.
- Reporting and presentation of country risk profiles, as well rating and cross-border appetite recommendations, at country risk committees.
Preferred Qualification and Experience
- First degree in Social Sciences
- Experience in a banking environment, with an understanding of corporate and investment banking products and business lines, preferred.
- At least 5 years of relevant international experience working with country and sovereign risk analysis and/or relevant related areas, in several countries, in a similar setting e.g. international financial institution, credit ratings agency, international bank, export credit agency, credit insurance provider or other similar institution
- Post-graduate degree in Economics, International Finance, or Area Studies.
- Proven interest and expertise in emerging-market economics, industry and political analysis.
- Experience in assessing African markets and/or credit analysis preferred.
- Excellent English writing skills combined with an ability to communicate well with a large number of people.
- Good administrative and organisational skills as well as an ability to interact and solve problems with a large number of people across the bank.
- A willingness and ability to travel extensively, work well in teams, handle conflict and work under pressure.
- Ability to speak French or Portuguese is beneficial.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Strong qualitative and quantitative analytical capabilities underpinned by intellectual curiosity and flexibility.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 30th June, 2017.