International Medical Corps (IMC) is a global, humanitarian, non-profit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training, relief and development programs. Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, non-political, non-sectarian organization. Its mission is to improve the quality of life through health interventions and related activities that build local capacity in underserved communities worldwide. By offering training and health care to local populations and medical assistance to people at highest risk, and with the flexibility to respond rapidly to emergency situations.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Study Nutrition Assistant
Location: Sokoto Office
Slot: 6 (For Nigeria Nationals only)
- International Medical Corps (IMC), in collaboration with the Harvard School of Public Health (USA) and Epicentre (France), will be supporting a research study, “Reducing the frequency of follow up and task sharing in the treatment of uncomplicated severe acute malnutrition.”
- The aim of the research study is to test a new model of care, using a monthly schedule of follow-up with caregiver support for at-home surveillance in the treatment of uncomplicated severe acute malnutrition (SAM). The research study will be conducted in Sokoto state (Wamako and Binji LGAs) beginning in June 2017.
- IMC seeks to recruit Study Nutrition Assistant to implement study activities at selected health centers. Study Nutrition Assistants will be responsible for the correct implementation of study procedures at the study site and coordination with study and partner staff (IMC and SMoH) to ensure proper application of the study protocol and national CMAM guidelines.
- This position will be based at a single outpatient therapeutic program (OTP) site but can include travel to community locations as needed.
- Contribute to study activities, with the support and supervision of study nurses, including but not limited to:
- Deliver educational sessions for caregiver home surveillance (5 sites with monthly follow-up only)
- Assure adherence to correct schedule of outpatient follow-up (e.g. monthly vs. weekly) as per site assignment
- Support IMC nurse supervisor, care group promoters and community volunteers to ensure appropriate home follow-up of children based on the study protocol
- Work closely with study staff, SMoH staff and IMC nutrition officer to ensure correct implementation of study procedures and national CMAM protocol, including admission/discharge criteria
- Support care group promoters and community volunteers to ensure appropriate home follow-up of children based on the study protocol
- Organize and securely maintain all individual records on site until child discharge
- Prepare and record individual records to be transferred for data entry at discharge
- Complete study questionnaires on a daily basis and ensure data collected is complete, consistent and accurate
- Maintain close communication with study staff and IMC staff to track study progress, monitor logistical needs/study supplies at site, and anticipate challenges
- Ensure respect for the dignity of CMAM beneficiaries, study participants and program staff
- Other duties as assigned
Qualification and Experience
- B.Sc in Community Health Extension or any degree in Food Science and other related Natural Sciences and over One (1)years’ experience in nutrition/CMAM programming.
- Junior community health extension worker with over three (3) years’ experience in CMAM programmes
- Valid and current practicing license
- Fluent in written and spoken English and Hausa
- Commitment to and understanding of IMC’s aims, values and principles
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Should be a team player and culturally sensitive
- Ability to respect confidentiality of data collected and dignity of participants/ beneficiaries is essential
- Extremely flexible, motivated and have the ability to cope with stressful situations
- Experience with research is a plus
- Demonstrated proficiency in computer applications such as word processing, and spreadsheets.
Job Title: IYCF Supervisor
Location: Sokoto Office
Slot: 2 (For Nigeria Nationals only)
- International Medical Corps has been operating in Nigeria since November 2013. It currently has its country office in Abuja and field offices in Kano, Sokoto, Damboa , Dikwa and Maiduguri where it is implementing emergency Water, Sanitation, Hygiene (WASH) and Protection programs, and also building capacity of local health systems and structures, ensuring the provision of quality, accessible Nutrition and Health Care. Currently IMC Nigeria has 7 field offices with more than 200 staff with a possibility of further growth.
- The incumbents will be responsible for implementation of CMAM/IYCF in collaboration with other nutrition staff.
- They will facilitate good practice and ensure compliance to applicable implementation guidelines.
- The IYCF Supervisor will coordinate activities at the local level and supervising the CGP and all IYCF activities in the implementation site. Maintain cooperation with other institutions at community level such as the village council, Sheiks, Traditional Healers, and TBA, Meet with the local leadership committee in each community bi-weekly for coordination, monitoring and evaluation, identify CG capacities and coordinate trainings based on need and program goals, Play Models leadership to all CG and intentionally develops the leadership potential of the CG and Prepare a monthly report using the information provided by Care Group mothers.
- Facilitate organized, participatory learning sessions with each of their 10-12 CG Volunteers (in Care Groups) groups every two weeks, following the lesson plans in the educational materials provided.
- Attend Bi-Weekly Training and Reporting Meetings provided by the CG Promoter Supervisor and the Module Training Sessions to accurately replicate trainings received with CG Volunteers, sharing correct information and demonstrating skills learned.
- Model the health, nutrition, and sanitation behaviors they are teaching to CG Volunteers in their own homes, located in the community.
- Visit, monitor, and evaluate each CG Volunteer at least monthly. Supervise the work of CG Volunteers by accompanying them on home visits to Neighbor Women and observing them providing group instruction.
- Assist with other program activities such as: National Vaccination Days, distribution of Vitamin A and de-worming medicine, weighing of children <5years of age, etc.
- This is a community based position and requiring frequently traveling within community locations.
- Ensure observance and respect the dignity of beneficiaries, careers and members of the community at all times.
- Coordinate activities at the local level and maintain cooperation with other institutions at community level such as the village council, Sheiks, Traditional healers and TBAs.
- Meet with the local leadership committee in each community bi-weekly for coordination, monitoring and evaluation.
- Attend training and coordination meetings at the LGA office, providing verbal and written reports of activities completed.
- Collect CG reports on a monthly basis, review the reports and assure the information presented is reasonable and complete.
- Prepare a monthly report using the information provided by CG Mothers.
- Maintain a filing system in the project office so copies of CG mothers Reports are easily accessible.
- Responsible to supervise each CG mothers who reports to her in the field at least twice a month.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualification and Experience
- B.Sc in Nutrition or B.Sc Nursing or equivalent qualification in any recognized institution
- Diploma in Nutrition or any health related course with 3 years of experiences in CMAM/IYCF activities.
- Good experiences in CMAM/IYCF
- Excellent knowledge on CG Model
- Good inter personal skills
- Excellent knowledge of Hausa is compulsory
- Good knowledge of English language.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications and CV’s addressed to the “Human Resource Manager”, International Medical Corps via: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Candidates MUST state the position and location they are applying for as the subject of their email
- Application letter and curriculum vitae should be in a single Microsoft Word Document, otherwise applications will not be considered.
- Only Short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Application Deadline: 25th August, 2017.