The U.S. Consulate General in Lagos is seeking to employ a suitable and qualified candidate for the position of Visa Assistant in the Correspondence Unit of the Consular section.
Position Title: Visa Assistant,*FSN-07/FP-07
Basic function of the position:
Incumbent responds accurately and efficiently to incoming email, phone and postal mail correspondence regarding American Citizens Services and immigrant and non-immigrant visas from both the public and Congressional offices. Incumbent reports directly to the Correspondence Team Leader and works closely with LES team leaders, unit chiefs, and with the entry-level officer assisting the Correspondence Unit.
NOTE: All applicants MUST address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each criterion or the application will not be considered.
- A University degree in one of the following: Social Sciences, Humanities, Language Arts, or Natural Sciences is required.
- Minimum of two (2) years work experience in Consular or other work related to customer service, correspondence, or the application of regulatory material is required.
- Level IV (fluent) Speaking/Reading in English is required. Level IV (fluent) Speaking/Reading in Hausa, Yoruba or Igbo is required.
- The incumbent must have general knowledge of U.S. Embassy and Consular Section functions.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft office applications (Word, Excel and Outlook).
When fully qualified, U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs) and U.S. Veterans are given preference. Therefore, it is essential that the candidate specifically address the required qualifications above in the application.
Additional Selection Criteria
- Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, and residency status in determining successful candidacy.
- Current employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply.
- Current Ordinarily Resident employees with an overall summary rating of “Needs Improvement” or “Unsatisfactory” on their most recent Employee Performance Report are not eligible to apply.
- Currently employed U.S. Citizen EFMs who hold a Family Member Appointment (FMA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of their employment.
- Currently employed NORs hired under a Personal Services Agreement (PSA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of their employment unless currently hired into a position with a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule.
Salary: OR – Ordinarily Resident–N2,957,362 p.a.(Starting basic salary) Position Grade: FSN-07
In addition to the basic salary, all allowances will be paid in accordance with the Mission Local Compensation Plan.
NOR – Not Ordinarily Resident – AEFM – US$39,994 EFM/MOH – US$34,324 (Starting Salary) p.a. Position Grade: FP-07
Application Closing Date
10th October, 2013
How To Apply Interested applicants for this position MUST submit the following, or the application will not be considered:
- Application for US Federal Employment (DS-174); or a current resume or curriculum vitae that provides the same information as a DS-174; plus,
- Candidates who claim US Veterans preference must provide a copy of their Form DD-214 with their application.
- Any other documentation (e.g., essays, certificates, awards, copies of degrees earned) that addresses the qualification requirements of the position as listed above.
- A type-written and signed application letter specifically applying for this position, and addressing the minimum requirements as advertised. Please reference the job title and announcement number on the application letter.
Submit Application To:
Embassy of the United States of America
Human Resources Office
Plot 1075 Diplomatic Drive
Central District Area
Or submit to: HRNigeria@state.gov