The U.S. Embassy in Abuja is seeking to employ a suitable and qualified
candidate for the position below in the Public Affairs Section (PAS):
Job Title: Publication, Arts & Graphic Assistant (Trainee Level)
Position Grade: FSN-08
Work Hours: Full-time; 40 hours/week
Basic function of the position
- The incumbent serves as publication, graphic design, and
photographer/videographer specialist for all Mission needs. The
incumbent plans, writes, edits, lays out, oversees printing, supervises
translation into multiple languages and manages distribution of
quarterly magazine Crossroads. Incumbent serves within the
Press/Information Section and assists with press-related events, such as
on-the-record press briefings between local and international
journalists and U.S. Mission entities. The incumbent also produces,
edits and distributes via YouTube Mission-wide short videos on programs
and outreach activities.
Note: All applicants MUST address each selection criterion
detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting
each criterion or the application will not be considered.
- Completion of a University degree in Mass Communication, Business Administration, Publishing or Graphic Design is required.
- Knowledge of the Nigerian media and of the political, economic,
and social structures of the country and understanding of U.S. foreign
policy and other concerns are required.
- Good working knowledge of design, layout and display methods and techniques is required.
- Good working knowledge of graphic design and/or video editing
programs with proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and internet skills.
- A minimum of three (3) years of progressively responsible
experience in designing, planning and executing the publishing of media,
artwork, exhibits and other visual mediums, digital photography &
editing is required.
- Level IV (fluent) Speaking/Reading/Writing in English is required. Language proficiency will be tested.
- When fully qualified, U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members
(USEFMs) and U.S. Veterans are given preference. Therefore, it is
essential that the candidate specifically address the required
qualifications above in the application.
Additional Selection Criteria
- Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, and residency status in determining successful candidacy.
- (FMA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of their employment.
- Currently employed NORs hired under a Personal Services
Agreement (PSA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within
the first 90 calendar days of their employment unless currently hired
into a position with a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule.
- Current employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply.
- Current Ordinarily Resident employees with an Overall Summary
Rating of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent
Employee Performance Report are not eligible to apply.
- Currently employed U.S. Citizen EFMs who hold a Family Member Appointment
Or – Ordinarily Resident – N4,494,054 p.a. (Starting basic salary) Position Grade: FSN-08
In addition to the basic salary, all allowances will be paid in accordance with the Mission Local Compensation Plan.
Nor – Not Ordinarily Resident – AEFM – US$45,487 EFM/MOH – US$39,166 (Starting Salary) p.a. Position Grade: FP-06
Application Deadline 29th April, 2015
How to Apply
Interested applicants for this position MUST submit the following, or the application will not be considered:
- Application for US Federal Employment (DS-174); or a current resume or curriculum vitae that provides the same information as a DS-174; plus,
- Candidates who claim U.S. Veterans preference must provide a copy of their Form DD- 214 with their application.
- Any other documentation (e.g., essays, certificates, awards,
copies of degrees earned) that addresses the qualification requirements
of the position as listed above.
- A type-written and signed application letter specifically
applying for this position, and addressing the minimum requirements as
advertised. Please reference the job title and announcement number on
the application letter.
- Limit all electronic (e-mail) submissions to one entry/e-mail
not larger than 5MB. Please submit attachments in PDF and Word formats,
- E-mails received without the appropriate subject line and incomplete applications will not be considered.
Submit Application To:
Embassy of the United States of America
Human Resources Office
Plot 1075 Diplomatic Drive
Central District Area
Or submit to: HRNigeria@state.gov
Click here to download Application Form for Employment as a Locally Employed Staff or Family Member (DS-174) (PDF 1.78 MB)
Click here to download the Instructions for Completing DS-174 (PDF 2.40 MB)
Note: All not ordinarily resident applicants must have
the required work and residency permits to be eligible for
consideration. a U.S. Citizen EFM does not have to be residing in
country to be considered, but the sponsoring officer under chief of
mission (com) authority does have to be assigned officially to post.