Ref No: FSN-08/FP-06
Work Hours: Full-time; 40 hours/week
- Under the supervision of the Abuja Cultural Affairs Officer
(CAO), the Education Advising Assistant directs and manages the
Educational Advising Center in Abuja; manages graduate and undergraduate
membership, provides current unbiased information and counsel on
educational opportunities in the United States, plans and oversees
outreach programs, and supervises the junior staff’s work.
- Additionally, s/he manages independent study centers; and
responds to inquiries and request for information from U.S. college and
university admission officers, U.S. educators and Regional Educational
Advising Coordinators (REACs).
Note: All applicants MUST address each selection
criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information
supporting each criterion or the application will not be considered.
- A University degree in Education or related field is required.
- A minimum of five years of experience in an educational field or education advising center is required.
- Good written and oral communication skills. Interviewing,
analytical and research skills to obtain relevant information in
sessions with clients and provide information and guidance to students
- Computer and Internet search skills is required.
- Level IV English language ability (Writing/Speaking/Reading) is required. Language proficiency will be tested.
- Knowledge of U.S. secondary and post-secondary educational
systems e.g. colleges and universities, technical training colleges and
other types of educational institutions and programs. Must be
knowledgeable about education in the U.S. and in the host country to be
able to explain both systems as needed.
When fully qualified, U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs) and
U.S. Veterans are given preference. Therefore, it is essential that the
candidate specifically address the required qualifications above in the
Additional Selection Criteria
- Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, and residency status in determining successful candidacy.
- Current employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply.
- Currently employed NORs hired under a Personal Services
Agreement (PSA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within
the first 90 calendar days of their employment unless currently hired
into a position with a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule.
- Current Ordinarily Resident employees with an Overall Summary
Rating of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent
Employee Performance Report are not eligible to apply.
- Currently employed U.S. Citizen EFMs who hold a Family Member
Appointment (FMA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions
within the first 90 calendar days of their employment.
Or – Ordinarily Resident– N4,494,054p.a.(Starting basic salary) Position Grade: FSN-08
In addition to the basic salary, all allowances will be paid in accordance with the Mission Local Compensation Plan.
Nor – Not Ordinarily Resident – AEFM – US$45,487 EFM/MOH – US$39,166 (Starting Salary) p.a. Position Grade: FP-06
Application Deadline 15th May, 2015
How to Apply
Interested applicants for this position MUST submit the following, or the application will not be considered:
- Application for US Federal Employment (DS-174); or a current resume or curriculum vitae that provides the same information as a DS-174; plus,
- Candidates who claim U.S. Veterans preference must provide a copy of their Form DD-214 with their application.
- Limit all electronic (e-mail) submissions to one entry/e-mail
not larger than 5MB. Please submit attachments in PDF and Word formats,
- E-mails received without the appropriate subject line and incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Any other documentation (e.g., essays, certificates, awards,
copies of degrees earned) that addresses the qualification requirements
of the position as listed above.
- A type-written and signed application letter specifically
applying for this position, and addressing the minimum requirements as
advertised. Please reference the job title and announcement number on
the application letter.
Submit Application To
Embassy of the United States of America
Human Resources Office
Plot 1075 Diplomatic Drive
Central District Area
Or submit to: [email protected]
Note: All not ordinarily resident applicants must have
the required work and residency permits to be eligible for
consideration. a U.S. Citizen EFM does not have to be residing in
country to be considered, but the sponsoring officer under chief of
mission (com) authority does have to be assigned officially to post.