The ILO Office in Abuja covers Nigeria, Ghana, Liberia, Sierra Leone,
The Gambia and Liaison office for ECOWAS provides technical and advisory
services to the ILO Constituents (Government, Workers and Employers’
Organizations) in these countries.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Programme Assistant
Level of post: GS 6
Type of contract: Fixed Term Appointment
Duration of post: Initial Three (3) Months (pending medical clearance). Thereafter, One year Fixed Term
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide programming support in the formulation, design,
monitoring and evaluation of Country and Sub-regional Decent Work
Programmes (SRDWPs) and technical cooperation projects.
- Maintain and update databases and records on programming activities for programme monitoring and evaluation purposes.
- Support the office in the preparation of OBWs in the IRIS/SM/IP
system and ensure that information entered in system is up-to-date and
of good quality.
- Process and examine project budget information and data in
accordance with instructions, and make necessary abstracts and
- Summarize information reflecting current obligations and future programme and budgetary implications.
- Maintain and keep registers and control plans on the status of
programmes and projects at formulation, implementation and operational
- Monitor TC projects and verify the conformity of project terms of reference with workplans and set objectives.
- Collect and analyze date and other information on employment,
decent work indicators and strategies, maintain relevant programme and
technical cooperation information systems and databases, and prepare
background information on areas covered by the ILO country programme.
- Coordinate with ILO’s social partners, including trade unions
and employers’ organizations, relevant UN units, national and local
institutions, and other relevant groups, as necessary, in the conduct of
Qualifications requirements, education, language, experience and competencies
- Completion of university level courses in a field related to the work of the organization.
- Six years of progressively responsible administrative and
technical work particularly in areas of employment. At least one year in
programme support activities.
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English. Knowledge of other languages, including local dialects, desirable.
- Good knowledge of the purpose and functions of the technical
programme and the other offices and sectors interacting with the
- Knowledge of technical data and good administrative skills to provide programming support.
- Ability to work in a team and to work under pressure.
- Good organizational skills.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Supervisory skills.
- Must demonstrate responsible behaviour and attention to detail.
- Ability to work and communicate with people in a polite, courteous and cooperative manner.
- Must display high standards of ethical conduct, Must demonstrate honesty and integrity.
- Ability to reason and make sound judgements.
- Good knowledge of programming planning, implementation and evaluation principles, practices and procedures.
- Ability to work with word processing and spreadsheet software, as well as computer software packages required for work.
- Ability to prepare preliminary reports and to draft correspondence. Good analytical skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with a range of staff and to respond to their queries.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should please send their applications and most recent CV’s to: [email protected]
Application Deadline 24th June, 2015.