Job Title: Educational Advising Assistant (Full Performance), FSN-08/FP-06
Location: Lagos – Public Affairs Section (PAS)
Position Grade: FSN-08/FP-06
Work Hours: Full time; 40 hours/week
- Under the general supervision of the Public Diplomacy Officer
(PDO), the incumbent provides services for all sponsored and
non-sponsored students and scholars seeking information about
educational opportunities in the United States.
- Responsibilities include group and individual counseling
concerning applying to U.S. Institutions, implementing, monitoring
program activities and outreach events.
- Additionally, s/he provides comprehensive, current and unbiased
information, advice, and counselling on educational opportunities in the
Note: All applicants MUST address each
selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive
information supporting each criterion or the application will not be
- A University Degree in Education, Social Science, International
Relations, Public Administration, Language teaching or a related field
- Thorough knowledge of secondary and post-secondary education in both United
- States and Nigeria, including higher education entrance examination systems.
- Must have good written and oral communication skills, to obtain
information in interviewing situations with clients and to analyze
prospective students’ requirements. The written and oral communication
skills will be tested.
- A minimum of three (3) years of work experience in academic
counseling, public affairs or administrative/government services is
- Level IV (Fluent) Writing/Speaking/Reading in English Language is required.
- Language proficiency will be tested.
- Level III (Good working knowledge) Writing/Speaking/Reading in one local
- Nigerian Language is required.
- When fully qualified, U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members
(USEFMs) and U.S. Veterans are given preference. Therefore, it is
essential that the candidate specifically address the required
qualifications above in the application.
Additional Selection Criteria
- Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, and residency status in determining successful candidacy.
- Current employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply.
- Currently employed NORs hired under a Personal Services
Agreement (PSA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within
the first 90 calendar days of their employment unless currently hired
into a position with a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule.
- Candidates who are EFMs, USEFMs, AEFMs, or MOHs must have at
least one year remaining on their sponsor’s tour of duty to be
considered eligible to apply for this position.
- Current Ordinarily Resident employees with an Overall Summary
Rating of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent
Employee Performance Report are not eligible to apply.
- Currently employed U.S. Citizen EFMs who hold a Family Member
Appointment (FMA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions
within the first 90 calendar days of their employment.
Salary Or- Ordinarily Resident – N6,115,042 p.a.(Starting basic salary)Position Grade: FSN-08
In addition to the basic salary, all allowances will be paid in accordance with the Mission Local Compensation Plan.
NOR – Not Ordinarily Resident – AEFM – US$45, 487 EFM/MOH – US$39,166 (Starting Salary) p.a. Position Grade: FP-06*
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates for this position MUST submit the following, or the application will not be considered:
- Application for U.S. Federal Employment (DS-174); or a current resume or curriculum vitae that provides the same information as a DS – 174; plus.
- Candidates who claim U.S. Veterans preference must provide a copy of their Form DD – 214 with their application.
- Any other documentation (e.g., certificates, awards, copies of
degrees earned) that directly addresses the qualification
requirements of the position as listed above.
- A type written and signed application letter specifically
applying for this position, and addressing the minimum requirements as
advertised. Please reference the job title and announcement number on
the application letter.
- Limit all electronic (e – mail) submissions to one entry/e –
mail not larger than 5MB. Please submit attachments in PDF and Word
formats, not pictures.
- E-mails received without the appropriate subject line and incomplete applications will not be considered.
Submit Application to: [email protected]
Point of Contact: Tel: 09-461-4000 Ext 4261
- Mailed (paper/hard copies) applications will NOT be accepted.
- All not ordinarily resident applicants must have the required
work and residency permits to be eligible for Consideration. A U.S.
Citizen EFM does not have to be residing in country to be considered,
but the sponsoring officer under chief of mission (com) authority does
have to Be assigned officially to post.
Application Deadline 22nd December, 2015.