Médecins Sans Frontières is a private, non-profit international
humanitarian organization dedicated to providing medical assistance to
populations in crisis, without discrimination and regardless of race,
religion, creed or political affiliation.
Médecins Sans Frontières is recruiting for its project in Port Harcourt:
Job Title: Daily Worker Nurses (x5 positions)
- Provide nursing care, treatment and follow-up of patients,
according to doctors’ prescriptions, protocols applied in service and
universal hygiene standards/precautions, in order to ensure the quality
and continuity of care for the targeted population.
- Know, promote, implement and follow at all times the universal
hygiene standards/ precautions, bio-hazard prevention and infection
control, security rules and other protocols and procedures in the
medical premises and ensure high standards of hygiene of his/her working
- Organize and carry out care and treatments according to
medical prescriptions, as well as assist them during consultations/
daily rounds and other medical procedures.
- Ensure patients are properly received and settled in the
health service. Ensures that patients with lack of autonomy are
assisted, especially regarding their feeding, personal hygiene,
movements and comfort.
- Respect medical secrecy and confidentiality of patients’ information.
- Carry-out admission, surveillance and follow-up of patients
meaning assessment of their health state evolution, and identification
of emergency situation or any deterioration,
- Participate in health education of the patient (and family) when necessary
- Supervise and train nurse-aids, nutritional assistants,
cleaners and other related staff under his/her supervision in their work
with special focus in following all appropriate protocols and
procedures and ensuring team work
- Participate in the department-related pharmacy and medical
equipment control and maintenance (carrying out inventories, carrying
out stock takes of medicines and material at every team changeover,
ensuring no material is taken out of nursing area/wards without prior
authorisation, checking its quality and its functioning, storage
conditions, doing follow-up of expired drugs, etc.).
- Carry-out and supervise administrative procedures and
documents (fill in patients files, forms, consumptions, statistics,
etc.), ensure an appropriate written/oral handover, and report any
problematic situations and cases that may arise. Fill in all necessary
registers and health files, participate in data collection and keep
- For ER and OPD nurse, ensure triage of patients in waiting
areas, wards or during emergencies, detecting the priority
acute/emergency cases, carrying out first aid care when necessary and
referring them to the doctor.
- If applicable, identify Sexually Gender Based Violence victims
and refer them to the medical team, so they can receive the necessary
- Knows and is aware of the importance and appropriate use of the Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) Kit
- Sends material to be sterilized and follows it up for return from sterilization.
- Protecting patients from hazards within the wards by ensuring the wards are safe and clear of such hazards at all times.
Required Skills and Conditions
- Education: Essential recognized nurse degree/diploma
- Experience: Desirable 2 years of previous experience and previous experience in other NGO’s.
- Languages: English language is mandatory
- Competences: Able to work in an emergency situation
- Highly flexible with the working hours.
- Port Harcourt
- Daily Workers
How to Apply
Submit your CV, copies of qualifications and a cover letter with contact details to the
MSF Administration Office
at No. 20 Bodo Street.
G.R.A Port Harcourt. Rivers State
(“Application Box” at the Watchmen Desk). With reference (daily worker Nurse PHC or Outreach Officer PHC )
Applications can be submitted in person or by email to: [email protected]
Deadline for the submission of applications: 18th December 2015.
Please make sure to submit your application by this date.
NB: only successful applicants will be called for interview.
No monetary transactions, neither demands of favors in kind, nor other
types of favoritism will be tolerated in the recruitment process. MSF
reserves the right to refuse hiring of a candidate having benefitted
from such acts. All illicit demands of these types may be pursued
through the judicial system.
Do you want to be up to date with current jobs in Nigeria? Click here to get Latest Job Alerts Daily!