The ILO Office in Abuja covers Nigeria, Ghana, Liberia, Sierra Leone,
The Gambia and Liaison office for ECOWAS provides technical and advisory
services to the ILO Constituents (Government, Workers and Employers’
Organizations) in these countries.
International Labour Organization is recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Programme Analyst
Vacancy No: RAPS/4/2015/AF/04
Type of Contract: Fixed term Appointment
- The position is located in the Abuja Office in Nigeria. The main
purpose of the position is to provide guidance, advice and assistance
to management, staff, technical specialists and technical cooperation
projects, on programme planning, change management, resource allocation
and activity implementation reporting.
- This position is essential in the current context of the CO
Abuja, which services the countries of Nigeria, Ghana, Liberia, Sierra
Leone, the Gambia and also serves as the Liaison Office for the Economic
Community for Western African States (ECOWAS). The CO-Abuja’s portfolio
of technical cooperation projects is expected to increase hence the
need to strengthen the office’s programming team for a better, more
effective and more efficient service delivery.
- The Programme team analyses and recommends improvements to
management systems and procedures. Its work centres on programming and
budgeting based on outcomes and organizational changes, effectiveness
- The position reports directly to the Director of the Abuja CO Office.
Description of Duties
- Provide technical assistance and support the formulation,
implementation, monitoring and evaluation of Decent Work Country
Programmes (DWCP) in the countries covered by CO-Abuja.
- Support the development of joint programmes within the United Nations system to promote the Decent Work Agenda.
- Support resource mobilization for technical cooperation projects
and programmes for the implementation of DWCPs, including mapping
multilateral and bilateral donors and participating in the development
of a resource mobilization strategy for CO-Abuja.
- Identify emerging programmes, propose solutions and liaise with
relevant departments at headquarters and at the regional office,
executing agencies, governments, social partners and other stakeholders
to ensure implementation and to meet targets.
- Ensure that gender-related aspects are taken into consideration in the planning, implementation and evaluation of projects.
- Prepare briefs, periodical reports and statistical data on the activities of CO-Abuja.
- Support technical preparation for the organization of outcome-based workplan (OBW) reviews.
- Assist in the analysis of proposals and use of resources of the
regular budget, regular budget supplementary account (RBSA), programme
support income (PSI) and other special allocations, in alignment with
the ILO policy and programme priorities.
- Assess budget situations (regular budget and other resources)
and recommend programme allocation changes and changes in programme or
- Provide technical support for the CO-Abuja’s participation in
the exercises of the United Nations Development Assistance Framework
(UNDAF) for the countries concerned.
These specific duties are aligned with the relevant ILO generic job description, which includes the following generic duties:
- Plan and conduct analyses of specific programme proposals and
activities to ensure conformity with the Organization’s programme and
- Contribute to the preparation of programme implementation and
activity reports, Governing Body reports and long-term plans on the
basis of contributions from technical programmes.
- Participate in in-depth studies of long-term policy issues by collecting and analysing data. Organize and conduct briefings.
- Participate in training seminars and workshops as a resource person, and represent the unit at meetings and workshops.
- Provide information on programme priorities, assist technical
programmes with the preparation of programme proposals, analyse and
comment on proposals to serve as a basis for decision-making, discuss
proposals with programme managers and finalize texts.
- Examine programme and budget proposals, and evaluate priorities
in accordance with overall programme and budgetary objectives as well as
long-term planning. Draft reports based on these analyses with
recommendations for acceptance or revision of budget proposals.
- Monitor the implementation of approved programmes, propose
changes to priorities, approach and allocation of resources. Evaluate
and recommend approval of programme changes. Participate in resources
adjustment and review exercises.
- May supervise junior programme and general service staff.
- Advanced university degree, or a first level degree and a
recognized professional qualification, in economics, business or public
administration, social sciences or other related fields.
- Five years of professional experience in programme management at the national level, or three years at the international level.
- Excellent command of one working language (English) and good knowledge of a second (French).
- In addition to the ILO core competencies, this position requires:
- Technical competencies – Excellent analytical skills.
- Ability to prepare high quality and technically sound reports.
- Ability to justify requirements and approaches to problem resolution.
- Ability to resolve complex problems.
- Ability to supervise staff.
- Behavioural competencies – Ability to work in a multicultural environment and gender-sensitive behaviour and attitudes.
- Good knowledge of financial practices and principles.
- Good knowledge of the programmes and operations of the Organization.
- Good knowledge of programme formulation, administration and evaluation techniques and practices.
- Evaluation (which may include one or several written tests and a
pre-interview competency-based assessment centre) and the interviews
will tentatively take place between February and May 2016.
- Candidates are requested to ensure their availability should they be short listed for further consideration.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- Applicants will be contacted directly if selected for written test.
- Applicants will be contacted directly if selected for an interview.
Application Deadline 17th January, 2016.