The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) is a scientific nonprofit
organization that sets standards for the identity, strength, quality,
and purity of medicines, food ingredients, and dietary supplements
manufactured, distributed and consumed worldwide.
USP’s drug standards
are enforceable in the United States by the Food and Drug
Administration, and these standards are used in more than 140 countries.
The U. S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) is seeking qualified candidates
to fill the position below, which will be based in Lagos, Nigeria:
Job Title: Operation Manager
Location: Lagos, Nigeria.
The Promoting the Quality of Medicines (PQM) program, funded by the U.S.
Agency for International Development (USAID) and implemented by the
U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP), helps developing countries
effectively address critical issues related to poor quality medicines.
Its helps USAID-assisted countries strengthen their quality assurance
and quality control systems to better ensure the quality, safety and
efficacy of medicines that reach patients.
Summary of the Position
The Operations Manager plays a critical role in supporting the Chief of
Party, Nigeria with the effective and efficient operation of the site by
managing the core functions such as Financial Management, Procurement
and inventory, Human Resources, Information Systems, Safety and Office
Management in accordance with USP, USAID and Government of Nigeria
regulations for the USP PQM program in Nigeria.
Roles and Responsibilities
Finance and Accounting:
- Supports the Chief of Party and country team by developing detailed annual work plan budgets and activity tracking.
- Adopts and implements USP policies and procedures in compliance
with USAID and Government of Nigeria regulations, manages, agreements
and contracts, accounting, budgeting and audits as set by USP
- Prepares operating funds to support activities including cash advances, reimbursements, invoicing, and others
- Processes and manages office accounting system
- Compiles necessary documents for monthly submission to headquarters
- Reviews and submits monthly reconciliations and financial reports to USP HQ and COP
- Processes and manages VAT Exemptions via USAID mechanism
- Liaise with USP headquarters, USAID, partners, banks, and Government of Nigeria (Ministry of Finance – Tax Office)
- Enforces good internal control and implementation of USP policies
- Processes invoice submission to HQ for country office payroll, rentals, utilities, etc.
- Responsible for the documentation of all financial transactions
in accordance with USAID regulations, agreements management, accounting,
budgeting and audits asset by USP headquarters.
- Uses Term of Reference from approved activities nd initiates travel planning according to SOPs
- Works with project coordinators on workshop/training planning,
logistics, cash advances, reconciliations, vendor selection for
workshops/training in accordance with USP and USAID guidelines.
- Contributes to annual work planning as part of the country team
- At request of COP initiates and tracks procurement under approved work plan activities in accordance with SOPs.
- Manages inventory government property and office supplies
- Liaise with vendors for selection and leads negotiation process with vendors
- Develops vendor list for country office.
- Facilitates local Human Resources processes in accordance with
local labor laws and in collaboration with USP-US, handles recruitment
and new hire onboarding, oversees performance management process,
supports growth and development of staff, and-ensures staff engagement
- Prepares monthly payroll, income tax, and coordinates employee benefits with USP US.
- Ensures that the USP Nigeria country office’s legal
registrations are current and adequate and that the country office is in
compliance with local regulations.
- Ensures that the country office management is efficient,
effective and conducive to promoting an enjoyable place to work where
staff can thrive and engage one another.
- Develops and maintains a comprehensive and efficient filing system.
- Performs other duties as necessary.
- Bachelor’s Degree required; MBA preferred
- At least 10 years of experience in an Operations management role
including demonstrated experience working on a USAID donor funded
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Results driven with demonstrated successful outcomes.
- Must possess ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Must possess excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word skills.
Job Title: Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist
Location: Lagos, Nigeria.
Summary of the Position
- Working under the direction and guidance of the Chief of Party
of the USP/PQM-Nigeria Office, the incumbent will be responsible for
Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) of the program.
- He/she will develop M&E framework and plan to support the
USP/PQM program development and effective implementation to meet its set
goals and objectives.
- He/she will guide and facilitate the deliveries of the USP/PQM project deliverables by monitoring progress and results.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Develops the USP/PQM Performance Monitoring Plan (PMP) document
in-alignment with the PQM global results framework and PMP in order to
track the completion of the program goals.
- Develops M&E framework and detailed implementation plan for
incorporating into the USP/PQM program. Once developed, periodically
monitors and evaluates the program to ensure it is on track.
- Monitors all project activities, expenditures and progress
towards achieving the project output to ensure the project is on track
according to the work plan.
- Develops monitoring and outcome indicator for the PQM program in order to determine that it’s meeting its objectives.
- Monitors the sustainability of the program results,
- Suggests strategies to the Program Management for improving the
efficiency and effectiveness of the program by identifying bottlenecks
in completing program activities and developing plans to minimize or
eliminate such bottlenecks.
- Reports quarterly, semi-annual and annual progress on all
program activities with corresponding expenditure(s) to the Chief of
Party and Country Representative.
- Collect data for all country level indicators and enter into a database on a regular basis.
- Participates in annual project reviews and planning workshops and assist the Country Representative and Chief of Party for PQM.
- Supports monitoring and evaluation of the effects and impact of the USP/PQM program in Nigeria.
- Coordinates the evaluation of the program portfolio with PQM Headquarters M&E team.
- University Degree required, preferably in M&E, Public
Health, Business Administration, Health Economics and Demography &
- At least 3 years of experience in Monitoring & Evaluation
(M&E) including design and implementation of M&E in development
projects implemented by national/international NGOs/or Government.
- Experience in designing tools and strategies for data collection, analysis and production of reports.
- Expertise in analyzing data using statistical software.
- Experience/knowledge of qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis tools and methods.
- Ability to work independently and to liaise and coordinate activities between different agencies that USP/PQM works with.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- In-depth knowledge on M&E/MIS and development issues
- Excellent knowledge of monitoring and the application of
methodology: Good understanding capacity assessment methodologies;
excellent ability to identify significant capacity building
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral): sensitivity to and responsiveness to all partners, donors and program staff
- Excellent analytical skill; mature judgement combined with a
proactive, energetic approach to problem solving proficient in English
language (written and spoken).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their applications to: [email protected]
Note: Applicant should specify the position(s) for
which they are applying on their application cover page or curriculum
Application Deadline 12th January, 2016.
Do you want to be up to date with current jobs in Nigeria? Click here to get Latest Job Alerts Daily!