FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to
improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven
solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition,
environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth,
research and technology
– creating a unique mix of capabilities to
address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more
than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of:
Job Title: Compliance Officer
Job ID: 16655
Supervisor: Associate Director, Compliance
- Under the direction of Associate Director Compliance, the
position holder will carry out independent appraisals of the
effectiveness of policies, procedures and standards by which FHI’s
financial resources are managed.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Review and evaluate the effectiveness and efficiency of
operations, adequacy of internal controls, reliability of financial
reporting, compliance with applicable laws and the safeguard of assets
within FHI Nigeria’s policy framework.
- Test internal controls, target in particular high risk areas;
document any weaknesses and their impact, and make recommendations to
address these weaknesses.
- Follow up on the implementation of audit recommendations and management action plans.
- Where necessary, carry out investigations of alleged fraud,
mismanagement, loss of assets or any other investigation. For each
assignment, prepare a written report to present findings and conclusions
- Prepare routine monthly financial and labor related reports and distribute to Senior Management, technical and financial staff.
- Respond to management queries in relation to FHI/Nigeria’s internal control environment.
- Plan, perform and report back on internal audits to ensure that
financial control, financial guidelines of donor organizations and other
control procedures are in place and are being properly implemented and
managed within FHI/Nigeria’s offices.
- Advise and monitor quality standards and value for money and make recommendations for improvement.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of local and donor contractual requirements and
regulations Knowledge of generally accepted accounting, budgeting and
fiscal control theory and practices.
- Budget development skills with multi funding sources and general ledger skills.
- Relevant software skills to include automated accounting software and database spreadsheets and Management Information Systems.
- Ability to work with others and to develop and maintain
compatibility among project staff, subcontractors, and recipients of
- Report to supervisor on variances and status on regular basis.
- Work independently with initiative to manage high volume work flow.
- Routine coordination with FHI employees and consultants, on-site and in the field.
- Resourceful through technology, research skills, and
relationship building among several organization teams and units and
professional organizations. Perform detail-oriented work with a high
level of accuracy.
- Interact with diplomacy and tact and follow-up on requests in timely and efficient manner.
- Maintain confidentiality for sensitive issues or projects and
use judgment and decision-making to execute duties and responsibilities.
- Time management skills, both in planning and organizing work to meet deadlines.
- Ability to effectively communicate financial and internal control issues to staff with little or no financial background.
- Attention to detail with a high degree of accuracy. Ability to use software tools to present data clearly and concisely.
- Ability to travel a minimum of 50%.
- Handle financial and quantitative information with accuracy and
precision; resourceful in gathering, verifying and analyzing financial
data. Strong understanding of risk management and internal control
- Good communication and report writing skills.
- Must exhibit high levels of professionalism, integrity and ethical values at all times.
Qualifications and Requirements
- BS/BA degree in Accounting, Finance and Business Administration or its recognized equivalent
- Familiarity with U.S. Government grants or other client funded
programs, contracting and auditing standards as they apply to effective
management of multi-year funds is required
- CPA, ACA, CIMA, CFE or any other relevant professional qualification is an advantage.
- 3 – 5 years relevant experience.
- Or MS/MA degree in Accounting, Finance and Business
Administration or its recognized equivalent, and 1 – 3 years relevant
- 1-3 years experience in internal control functions.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidate should:
Click here to apply