Job Title: Senior Public Health Specialist (Surveillance and Information Systems) FSN-11/FP-4
Location: Abuja Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
Job Type: Temporary Position Not to Exceed 24 Months
Work Hours: Full-time; 40 hours/week
Basic Function of the Position
- This position is responsible for activities related to the
implementation of Global Health Security Agenda (GHSA), specifically for
core technical areas that are deemed priority for the CDC-Nigeria
Office and Government of Nigeria.
- S/he reports directly to the Program Director for Global Health Security/Global Health
- Protection or other official in charge of GHSA and plays an active leadership role in Technical Working Groups (TWG).
- S/he will interface with all levels of NGO and cooperative
partners, universities and medical personnel for the purpose of
developing and maintaining highly functional health information and
surveillance systems in Nigeria.
- S/he work closely with Administrative support staff to manage
cooperative agreements and provide technical guidance to implementing
- The incumbent is the emerging disease surveillance and information systems portfolio manager.
- S/he is the Epidemiologist responsible for providing technical
expertise and assistance to the Ministry of Health (MOH) and other
participating partners in the design, implementation and strengthening
of routine disease surveillance and information systems and the conduct
of large, complex surveys designed to measure reportable infectious
diseases and other indicators of importance to evaluating the impact of
disease control programs.
Note: All applicants MUST address each required qualification listed
below with specific information supporting each item. Failure to do so
may result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified.
- Master’s Degree in Public Health, Medicine, Epidemiology, Demography, or Behavioral Science is required.
- Minimum of five (5) years of mid-to senior – level public health
experience in the management and development of epidemiological
surveillance and /or large scale surveys of disease prevention,
treatment, or care programs are required.
- Level IV (fluent) Speaking/Reading/Writing in English is required. Language Proficiency will be tested.
- Thorough knowledge of the development of program goals and
objectives, the sequence and timing of key program events and
milestones, knowledge of the development and implementation of capacity
and program assessments, and methods of evaluating program
accomplishments. Working knowledge of administrative, budgetary,
procurement, and travel issues related to government purchasing and
funding guidelines, contracts, memoranda of understanding and
cooperative agreements is required.
- Advanced skill levels in the use of at least one of the more
common epidemiologic data analysis software (EPINFO, STATA, SAS, or
SPSS), and excellent numerical skills for manipulating and reporting
statistical data is required.
- Thorough knowledge of research methods and the collection,
analysis and presentation of public health/epidemiologic data in order
to plan, design, direct the implementation of and strengthen procedures
for collection, analysis and dissemination of emerging disease
epidemiological data. This includes knowledge of the principles,
theories and practices of internationally recognized standards for
surveillance and survey regulations and procedures. Thorough knowledge
of Nigeria health care system and structures including familiarity with
Ministry of Health policies, program priorities and regulations as well
as good working knowledge of team management techniques to plan,
organize and direct multi-disciplinary project teams and activities is
Hiring Preference Selection Process
When qualified, applicants in the following hiring preference categories
are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore,
it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status
on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination
that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP**
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S.
Veteran must submit a copy of the most recent Member Copy Four (4) of
the DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active
Duty, and, if applicable, a letter from the U.S. Department of
- If claiming conditional eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference, applicants must submit proof of conditional eligibility.
- If the written documentation confirming eligibility is not
received in the HR office by the closing date of the vacancy
announcement, the U.S. Veterans’ preference will not be considered in
the application process.
- Mission HR’s decision on eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference after reviewing all required documentation is final.
- This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP.
Additional Selection Criteria
- Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, and residency status in determining successful candidacy.
- Current OR employees serving a probationary period are not
eligible to apply. Current OR employees with an Overall Summary Rating
of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee
Performance Report (EPR) are not eligible to apply
- Current NOR employees hired on a Family Member Appointment (FMA)
or a Personal Service Agreement (PSA) are not eligible to apply
within the first 90 calendar days of their employment, unless they
have a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule
- The candidate must be able to obtain and hold the local security certification after selection.
- Candidates who are EFMs, USEFMs, AEFMs, or MOHs must have at
least one year remaining on their sponsor’s tour of duty to be
considered eligible to apply for this position.
OR – Ordinarily Resident – N10, 948,692 p.a (Starting basic salary) Position Grade: FSN-11
In addition to the basic salary, all allowances will be paid in accordance with the Mission Local Compensation Plan.
NOR – Not Ordinarily Resident – AEFM/EFM-US$54,610 (Starting Salary) p.a.
Position Grade: FP-04*
How to Apply
Interested applicants for this position MUST submit the following, or the application will not be considered:
- Application for US Federal Employment (DS-174); or a current resume or curriculum vitae that provides the same information as a DS-174; plus,
- Candidates who claim U.S. Veterans preference must provide a copy of their Form DD-214 with their application.
- Any other documentation such as degrees or diplomas earned and NYSC Certificates/exemptions or awards.
- A type-written and signed application letter specifically
applying for this position, and addressing the minimum
requirements as advertised. Please reference the job title
and announcement number on the application letter.
- Limit all electronic (e-mail) submissions to one entry/e-mail not larger than 5MB.
- Please submit attachments in PDF and Word formats, not pictures.
- E-mails received without the appropriate subject line and incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Mailed (paper/hard copies) applications will NOT be accepted.
- All not ordinarily resident applicants must have the required
work and residency permits to be eligible for
Consideration. A U.S. Citizen EFM does not have to be
residing in country to be considered, but the sponsoring
officer under chief of mission (com) authority does
have to Be assigned officially to post.
- Due to the high volume of applications received, we will only contact applicants who are being considered.
Application Deadline 7th June, 2016.