Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organisation for
children. We work in 120 countries. We save children’s lives; we fight
for their rights; we help them fulfill their potential.
work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way
the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in
We have over two million supporters
worldwide and raised 1.9 billion dollars last year to reach more
children than ever before, through programmes in health, nutrition,
education, protection and child rights, also in times of humanitarian
Following a major transition, our international
programmes are now delivered through a merged operation with c15,000
staff, managed through seven regional hubs and reporting to a relatively
small, central office. We’re changing to become more efficient, more
aligned, a better partner, a stronger advocate, a magnet for world-class
people and relevant for the 21st century.
Job Title: Head of Humanitarian Progamme
Contract length: 12 months
Location: Abuja/ Maiduguri (50/50) with regular travels to Gombe
Head of Humanitarian Programme provides support to all programmatic
aspects of Save the Children humanitarian responses across the whole of
Save the Children’s Nigeria programme and specifically to the
Humanitarian Response that Save the Children Nigeria is about to start
to address the IDPs crisis in the North-Eastern State of Maiduguri and
Gombe. H/She ensures humanitarian activities are effective and meet
goals and objectives of Save the Children, its donors, and the needs of
affected populations. Ensures the Save the Children programme is
adequately prepared to respond to new emergencies and plays an
appropriate role in humanitarian coordination. Ensures immediate and
appropriate response to children’s needs during humanitarian crises. The
post holder will play a strategic role in the effective scale up and
management of Save the Children humanitarian programmes to increase
impact and enable positive change for children. This will include
working with Directors of PDQ and Operations to secure additional
resources and support through members and playing taking on an advocacy
Qualifications and experience
- MA / MSc level in a relevant subject or equivalent field experience
- Previous experience of humanitarian programme management, preparedness and response in volatile contexts
- Experience of managing multi-donor, multi-site programmes (including ECHO, FFP, DFID and OFDA)
- Security management experience across a large programme.
- Experience in developing and delivering training, as well as mentoring and coaching.
- Ability to write clear and well-argued assessment and project reports
- Ability to access communities sin Northern Nigeria
to the aims and principles of SC. In particular, a good understanding
of the SC mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this
continues to underpin our support
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Computer literate in Microsoft word, excel etc.
- Commitment to and understanding of SCI’s aims, values and principles.
- Excellent communication skills
- Proven ability to influence change at an operational and strategic level
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in
difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
- Solid networking experience
- Experience or knowledge of working and living in relevant Sahel region/context
- Humanitarian leadership experience in conflict zones
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should Click Here to Apply