International NGO Safety Organisation – INSO supports the humanitarian
community with vital coordination and information services that save
lives and improve access. INSO Nigeria is now in its opening phase. A
coordination office will be opened in Abuja, and an operational office
Maiduguri. INSO Nigeria will focus its operations on North Eastern
part of Nigeria.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Safety Advisor – North
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
- We are now seeking experts to join our team as a Safety Advisor
for North Eastern Nigeria, based in Maiduguri, with frequent travels
throughout the region. This is a truly unique and rewarding role, and
will effectively help bring vital aid to thousands of people that have
been trapped and displaced by violence.
- The Safety Advisor for Nigeria will combine a strong
humanitarian and safety background with experience of a similar country
risk context, a clear understanding of humanitarian safety principles,
conflict analysis and with a flexible, outgoing personality he/she
will be able to interpret and articulate and publish best information
and principled, expert advice to a broad range of humanitarian actors.
- He/She will be able to represent INSO to a diverse and important
audience of members, and wide network of contacts including UN
agencies, international donors and international organisations to local
communities and community leaders, extolling humanitarian principles
and good safety practices and throughout seeking and advocating access
to those at risk and whose suffering will be eased where humanitarian
access can be achieved and aid delivered
Further responsibilities include:
(The list of responsibilities is not exhaustive: other tasks may be requested to adapt to operational needs.)
- Establish and maintain an active information network, which
includes NGOs, the UN, military forces, and other national and
international security actors to obtain credible and relevant safety
- Assist NGOs in developing their own security management
capacities by reviewing policy documents, conducting site-security
surveys, and assisting in crisis evacuation planning.
- Manage a small office team including supervising national staff (10) and oversight of local logistics and administration.
- Effectively represent, promote and protect INSO’s mandate of independence, impartiality and neutrality.
- Provide NGOs with timely and credible security information and
contextual analysis of the local security situation through: daily
FLASH alerts, weekly incident lists, bi-weekly and quarterly
- Facilitate and lead regular NGO community security roundtables
in your region of responsibility, presenting trends and facilitating
- Fluent in English (written and spoken).
- Graduate level education or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum 3 years spent in insecure/conflict-affected environments.
- Proven writing and analytical abilities (sample requested).
- Demonstrable understanding of humanitarian safety practices & principles and their application
Preferred Characteristics: (Not mandatory, but advantageous. Please specify in cover letter)
- Master Degree in Journalism, Communication, Political Sciences, History, or other relevant field
- Direct experience and involvement in a crisis management role.
- Detailed understanding of INSO mandate and services.
- Existing (relevant) local information networks and contacts.
- Information management and GIS skills
- Employment history that reflects experience in both security and civilian fields
- Minimum of two (2) recent years of experience in Nigeria, and
demonstrate advanced knowledge with the historical and current social,
political, and security contexts within the region.
- Experience with NGO security and/or project management
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org using ‘INSO SA Nigeria’ in the subject line of the email.
The application should contain the following:
- Cover letter specifying how you meet the mandatory requirements,
your motivation in applying and what you hope to bring to INSO (2
- Up to date CV (5 page maximum).
- One relevant and substantive writing sample in English, which
demonstrates your analytical and reporting abilities (10 page maximum).
Please do not send any additional information (certificates, other
writing samples, etc.) and keep the total size of your application under
2MB if possible.
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application Deadline 17:00GMT 21st July, 2016.