Nexant is a globally recognized software, consulting and services leader
that provides innovative solutions to utilities, energy enterprises,
chemical companies and government entities worldwide.
Founded in 2000
and headquartered in San Francisco, Nexant and its 650+ employees work
from 32 global offices providing deep technical expertise and regional
knowledge to improve customer engagement, boost operational efficiency,
reduce costs and achieve superior business results.
Nexant is recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Senior Commercial Advisor
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
About the Job
- Nexant seeks a Senior Commercial Advisor to serve as a long-term
resident in Abuja, Nigeria for the Power Africa Transactions &
Reforms Program (PATRP), the contractor enabling partner for the US
Government’s Power Africa Initiative in sub-Saharan Africa.
- This $148 million, 5 year technical assistance project is
designed to bring more electricity to sub-Saharan African via a deal /
- The Power Africa initiative seeks to shift the typical
international development paradigm to a transaction-centered approach
that provides host country governments in sub-Saharan Africa, the
private sector, and international donor agencies with a focal point to
galvanize collaboration around priority electricity generation,
transmission, and distribution transactions-with a focus on those that
involve private sector participation and finance-helping to bring them
to financial close and onâ€�line in an expedited time frame.
- The Senior Commercial Advisor will serve as an embedded advisor to the Nigerian Bulk Electricity Trading (NBET) Plc
Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as key commercial advisor to NBET Senior Management on Gas
and Solar power procurements. Lead Power Purchase Agreement
Negotiations with independent power producers and development finance
- Develop and manage a project preparation and portfolio management system for NBET.
- Develop and manage the roll out of a Renewable Energy International Competitive Bidding Process.
- Develop a Strategic Road Map for competitively selecting Solar PV Projects already within the NBET procurement pipeline.
- Develop and implement power procurement guidelines in line with NBET strategic objectives.
- Establish an effective working relationship with Director level
officials at Nigerian ministries, departments and agencies involved in
the Nigerian Power Sector.
- Serve as the senior point of contact with independent power
producers throughout the project development and negotiation life cycle.
Manage all communication flow between private power developers and NBET
- Serve as direct counterpart to Director-level officials within
Federal Government of Nigeria Ministries, Departments and Agencies.
These include the Office of the Vice President, Ministry of Power, Works
and Housing, Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission, Ministry of
Finance and Ministry of Justice/Attorney General’s Office.
- Academic background in Finance, Business, Economics or related
field; Engineering, or other rigorously quantitative field with business
or finance experience also suitable.
- A strong understanding of the financing mechanisms and the role
of development finance institutions (DFIs), export credit agencies (ECA)
and risk guarantee instruments to investments in the energy sector in
- Ability to team work in a fast-paced environment; interaction at
ministry Directorate level; to clear and concise written and oral
communication and to high execution standards.
- A minimum of eight years of energy or infrastructure industry
experience, or limited recourse project finance modeling experience,
with a minimum of five years in project structuring and financing,
including negotiations with developers, investors and lenders.
- A strong understanding of the Nigerian energy market and regulatory environment.
Salary and Benefits (U.S.)
Nexant offers competitive salaries based on candidate’s qualifications.
Nexant also offers three weeks paid vacation per year, eleven paid
holidays per year, a 401(k) plan with employee matching funds and an
overall comprehensive benefits package.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply