Cuso International is currently implementing a five year project titled, Youth Leadership, Entrepreneurship, Access and Development Project (YouLead)
funded by Government of Canada through the Department of Foreign
Affairs, Trade and Development that will support the creation of
youth-led enterprises and employment for young women and men in the natural resource sector in Cross River State, Nigeria.
Cuso International and implementing partners will develop a youth-driven approach to support sustainable economic activities in key sectors (forestry, agriculture, aquaculture and eco-tourism) identified by the CRS government and other key stakeholders. The project will also strengthen capacity of government at State and LGA levels, youth serving civil society organizations, training organizations, and financial institutions to develop and implement a gender-responsive NRM ‘green jobs/green economy’ policy framework as the basis of increasing employment, self-employment and secured livelihoods for young women and men in the natural resource sectors.
Job Title: Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist
Reporting to the MEAL Manager, the Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist ensures that the project continues to monitor, evaluate and report on strategic outcomes based on reliable evidence and engages stakeholders in learning for planning project course corrections and communicating results.
collaborate with project staff and partners to develop evaluation
plans/frameworks, data collection protocols, tools and systems
International’s gender equality commitments as outlined in the Gender
Equality Policy, Strategy and Approach
component managers and their teams, internally and through focus-group
discussions in collaboration with partners and other stakeholders.
of the YouLead MEAL system in close collaboration with the Cuso
International MEAL Team
to ensure effective monitoring and documentation of project progress as
per Annual Work Plans and the project Performance Measurement Framework
practical, analytical and theoretical knowledge and experience of
international development work in Nigeria including:
- a strong
awareness of gender and equity issues and knowledge of issues affecting
young women and men (key target groups for YouLead) in the context of
GESI [Gender Equality and Social Inclusion]
- an appreciation of the contribution that the private sector and business development approaches can bring to development
- proven ongoing commitment to staying abreast of current development thinking
Technical knowledge and experience in monitoring and evaluation
- Significant proven experience with:
- logical framework approach to defining project outcomes and indicators
- methods for monitoring and evaluation (including quantitative, qualitative and participatory)
- planning and implementation of M&E systems
- gender equality objectives in partner’s capacity building plans
with and a supportive attitude towards processes of strengthening local
organizations and building local capacities for self-management.
- Demonstrated experience in measuring and tracking vulnerable groups in programs and projects
- Good understanding of what determines vulnerability in humanitarian and development context
disaggregating information and data by sex, age, social-economic
status, marital status, disability, people living is HIV/AIDS
- capacity building in M&E development and implementation
- facilitating learning-orientated focus group discussions with multiple stakeholders
- Demonstrated experience with integrating and measuring gender equality results including:
- gender disaggregated and gender sensitive baselines, indicators and targets
- gender sensitive data collection & analysis
Communication, representation and networking
communication skills – the ability to articulate project views
efficiently and positively in various formats, including speech, panel,
debate and group discussion
- Demonstrated ability to communicate
good practices and learning in working with both young women and men
that contributes to breaking down negative gender and generational
- Ability to present and represent Cuso International
to a variety of audiences including government, private sector, donors
and civil society
- Strong networking skills and the ability to build relationships, alliances and networks in a fast paced work environment.
ability to work effectively in a number of teams, in a multi-cultural
context and where teams may be geographically dispersed
ability to be self-serving in IT (Email, Advanced Excel and Powerpoint)
and willingness to develop IT skills in Cuso International’s corporate
monitoring and evaluation system
- Considerable experience in data entry and data management.
- Proven knowledge of statistical
- Pro-active approach to work planning
- Considerable problem solving and decision-making skills
- Flexibility and willingness to do any and all tasks needed to meet project goals and timelines
- Good time management in relation to priorities
- A University degree in statistics, social science, development studies or a related discipline
3 years development experience, with at least 2 years working in
monitoring and evaluation of funded projects and programs; preferably in
the area of natural resources management and/or market
- Demonstrated skills in
quantitative data management and analysis, preferably in relation to
monitoring and evaluation of project results against indicators.
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize and present
results of development outcomes using narrative and quantitative
- Knowledge of capacity building approaches applied to monitoring and evaluation for government and community-based organizations
- Proven ability to network and collaborate with government and community-level stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to train and build capacity of others;
- Strong planning, organizational and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent analytical, presentation, and reporting skills
technical skills in monitoring and evaluation, including experience
with multi-sectorial and multi-donor funded programs and experience with
qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis;
abilities in developing monitoring plans, data collection, information
management, use of databases, and analysis and performance monitoring;
- Proven expertise in the management and analysis of data for basic statistics and graphic presentations using Excel.
aptitude for facilitation of focus group discussions and participatory
analysis involving community-level stakeholders and vulnerable
database, data management and data analysis skills, with experience
using at least 2 software applications such as Microsoft Excel, Access,
Your application must be forwarded to Nigeria.firstname.lastname@example.org,
with the competition number: Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist
2016-2 clearly marked as the subject number.
Applications must be
received by Friday, August 5th, 2016 11:59 pm Eastern Time.
applications will be considered. CV must not be more than 4 pages in
length maximum and covering letter must be 1 page long maximum.
considered, your résumé and cover letter should demonstrate that all of
the essential qualifications are met. Applications that do not meet the
above requirements will not be considered.
**Women are encouraged to apply