The World Bank – The Global Practice Water (GWAOR) is engaged in
management and development of water resources at the regional and
country levels in many countries, including key African river and lake
basins and countries. GWADR consists of professionals in irrigation,
management and related fields at Washington on the
We are currently seeking to employ suitably qualified candidate to fill the position below:
Job Title: Water Resources Management Specialist (Consultant)
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
- GWADR is seeking to recruit a Water Resources Management
specialist (consultant) with experience In investment operations
relating to irrigation and water resources management.
- He/she will complement GWADR existing capacity and expertise in water resources management.
- The Specialist will report to the Task Managers responsible for
the projects and will work closely with the CMU and with all the related
sectors, in particular, Agriculture and Environment.
- He/she will primarily support the supervision of the TRIMING project in the north of Nigeria.
- He/she will also contribute to the identification, preparation
and supervision of irrigation and drainage activities in Nigeria and in
other African countries in an economically efficient, environmentally
sustainable, and equitable manner.
Duties and Responsibilities
The main areas of responsibility for the candidate will be to:
- Support the supervision of lending operations (such as TRIMING)
related to irrigation and drainage as well as water resource management
involving extensive travelling to the sites and eventually support
preparation of new lending operations (TRIMING- phase 2 or similar);
- With guidance, handle complex technical, institutional and
program implementation issues and interact with key counterparts and
stakeholders regularly on implementation issues.
- Contribute to coordination, partnering, knowledge sharing,
strengthening relationships and capacity building within the Bank and
with development partners and national organizations involved in
irrigation and drainage;
- Explore and pursue opportunities for co-financing with multi and bilateral development partners.
- Contribute to analytical studies on issues related to irrigation
and drainage; water resources management; contribute to discussions on
Country Assistance Strategies; play a key role in the implementation of
sector strategies and the Africa region’s irrigation Business Plan;
supervise consultants and technical specialists;
- Advanced degree in Water related fields (Civil Engineering,
Water Resource Management, Irrigation Engineering etc.) with at least 5
years of directly relevant professional and operational field experience
working on water resources management, including irrigation.
- Ability to work in culturally diverse environment;
- Experience in Bank projects policies and procedures is desirable;
- Frequent stay in Sokoto and Kano will be needed;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English, Hausa desirable.
- Field knowledge of irrigation and water resource management
institutions, including practical experience in the field (design, work
- Strong and demonstrated client and results orientation.
- Experience in the private sector with implementation related to irrigation and related water management.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- Qualified individual consultants should indicate their interest
and submit an online application and expression of interest using the
link above by using the following procedures.
- Click on Login, create an account and click on WBG eConsultant, Business Opportunities.
- Then look for and click an Selection No. 1224947.
- The expression of interest and CV must include Academic
Qualifications, Experience and description of similar assignments
- This is not a request for financial and/or technical proposals.
- Consultant shall be selected in accordance with the World Bank
procedures and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an
- The World Bank Group is committed to achieving diversity in terms of gender, nationality, culture and educational background.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application Deadline 8th August, 2016.